Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7813, 2018-07-25

CONTESTANTS
Ron Freshour, a copywriter from Austin, Texas
Burt Westermeier, a Ph.D. candidate from New Haven, Connecticut
Dave Mattingly, a director of technology from Old Forge, Pennsylvania (whose 3-day cash winnings total $77,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you very much. One of our staff members came backstage a few moments ago to tell me that we have a very lively and fun audience with us here today. What that means for you three is that it's incumbent on you to entertain them by demonstrating to the fullest extent of your capabilities how bright you are. Good luck. Let's see if it works out. Now we take a look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STRAIGHT TO BILLBOARD NO. 1 (5/5)
NONFICTION (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PROFESSIONAL NICKNAMES (5/5)
I WANT TO GO NUTS! (4/5)
GONNA PAINT THIS TOWN (3/5)
"RED" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 12 R, 1 W
Ron: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Burt: 5 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dave: $4,200
Ron: $3,600
Burt: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ron Freshour is a copywriter from Austin, Texas, who once met two celebrities back-to-back, almost.

Ron: That's right. Within about 10 minutes of each other, I met President Clinton and prop comic Gallagher at a Dallas hotel, but he had no melons with him, unfortunately.

Alex: Uh-huh. Now, was President Clinton president in office at that time?

Ron: He was in office at that time.

Alex: Oh, a lot of security, then.

Ron: Quite a bit. I think Gallagher had more, though.

Alex: Oh, really. Okay.

Alex: Burt Westermeier from New Haven, Connecticut. You're a trumpet player. In fact, you played for 14 years?

Burt: That's right. I started when I was in elementary school and went all the way up through high school. I played in the marching band, and I played in the marching band at my alma mater, the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

Alex: How tough is it to do those patterns that they have you do on football fields while you're blowing the trumpet?

Burt: It's pretty tough. It's both mentally and physically. There's, you know--it's a challenge, so it's--but it's a lot of fun.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Dave Mattingly, through your job, I understand, that we keep introducing you as a director of technology. But you deal with cheese, am I right?

Dave: Yes. The company I work for is an online seller of gourmet foods, and we specialize in cheese.

Alex: So, your job is to taste-test all this stuff, and--

Dave: Well, whenever we get new cheeses in, we have to try them, make sure they're good for our customers.

Alex: Okay. I'm not going to ask for any recommendations.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Burt found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Dave had $4,200, Burt had $400, and Ron was at $3,600. Burt wagered $1,000.

NONFICTION $400: This book published in 1611 is the subject of the recent work "God's Secretaries"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NONFICTION $600: Lynne Truss bemoans the state of modern punctuation in this bestseller

NONFICTION $800: Her "Blue Nights" tells of coping with the death of her daughter Quintana Roo Dunne

I WANT TO GO NUTS! $800: 2 types of this nut are English & black; when buying ones in the shell, avoid shells with holes or cracks
(Dave: What are almonds?)
(Burt: What are pistachios?)

GONNA PAINT THIS TOWN $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a painting on the monitor.) The distinctive Orthodox church in Vitebsk, the hometown of this artist, grounds the setting of the painting in realism, in contrast to the lovers who defy gravity & fly over the town
(Ron: Who is Dalí?)

GONNA PAINT THIS TOWN $1000: In 1888 van Gogh gave us "Sunset: Wheat Fields Near" this French city on the Rhone

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dave: $5,000
Ron: $4,800
Burt: $2,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CAPITAL LETTERS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORLD WAR II TIMELINE (5/5)
ANIMAL PLANET (4/5)
WEIRD WORDS (3/5)
RELIGIOUS -ISMs (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CELEBRITY PARTIAL NAME CHANGES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 14 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Burt: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ron: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dave snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Dave had $6,600, Burt had $2,400, and Ron was at $4,800. Dave made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,600.

CAPITAL LETTERS $1600: This 7-letter Central American capital ends in the same 4 letters as its country
(Alex: Dave?)
(Dave: [Sighs])
(Alex: Hurry.)
(Alex: What is [*], for Nicaragua.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Burt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Dave had $2,000, Burt had $5,200, and Ron was at $4,800. Burt wagered $1,200.

RELIGIOUS -ISMs $2000: The Tao in Taoism is usually translated into English as this 3-letter word
(Alex: Burt?)
(Burt: What is all?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WEIRD WORDS $800: Up high at a circus, a funambulist has this job
(Dave: What is a trapeze artist?)

WEIRD WORDS $2000: Intinction is saving a step in Communion by doing this
(Dave: What is kneeling?)

CAPITAL LETTERS $1200: You get an "F" if you don't name this Sierra Leone capital (or if you do)

ANIMAL PLANET $1600: In 2015 a Chinese man found the "pups" he got 2 years earlier were Asian black these, a class II protected species
(Ron: What are rhinos?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Burt: $13,200
Dave: $7,200
Ron: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRIDGES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Burt: Wager $1,201 to cover Dave, but no more than $4,399 so as not to fall behind Ron's doubled score.
Dave: You have the hope of surpassing Burt if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,001 to force Burt to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Ron.
Ron: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1990 the Yalu River Bridge was renamed the "Friendship Bridge" between these 2 nations; one is the other's best friend

FINAL SCORES
Ron: $4,400 - $1 = $4,399 (What is The Jeff Bridges?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Dave: $7,200 + $7,200 = $14,400 (What are N. Korea + China?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Burt: $13,200 + $1,201 = $14,401 (What are China and N. Korea?) (New champion: $14,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dave: $13,800, 26 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)
Burt: $13,800, 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Ron: $4,400, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $32,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Dave: 27/59 = .458
Burt: 14/60 = .233
Ron: 10/58 = .172
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PROFESSIONAL NICKNAMES $800: Building a house? You might need a chippie & a sparky, these 2 professionals
(Burt: What are a painter and an electrician?)

GONNA PAINT THIS TOWN $200: Here's a recent view of this city and Gustav Bauernfeind's 1886 "At the Entrance to the Temple Mount"

WORLD WAR II TIMELINE $1600: April 18, 1942:
Jimmy Doolittle & his raiders bomb this capital
(Dave: What is Berlin?)

ANIMAL PLANET $400: National Geographic was among those to report on a new creature found in 2015 & compare it to this Muppet

ANIMAL PLANET $1200: This British blues guitar legend is a fishing aficionado & caught a 28-pound salmon on a 2016 trip to Iceland

ANIMAL PLANET $2000: Here's Dalí with Babou, his pet one of these New World wildcats--he used to tell people it was a painted house cat

CORRECT RESPONSES
the King James Bible
Eats, Shoots & Leaves
Joan Didion
walnuts
Marc Chagall
Arles
Managua
the Way
a high-wire walker
dipping the host in the wine
Freetown
bears
North Korea and China
a carpenter and electrician
Jerusalem
Tokyo
Kermit (the Frog)
(Eric) Clapton
an ocelot
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRIDGES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1990 the Yalu River Bridge was renamed the “Friendship Bridge” between these 2 nations; one is the other’s best friend

Dave Mattingly: 7200+7200=14400
Burt Westermeier: 13200+1201=14401 (New Champ)
Ron Freshour: 4400-1=4399

Correct response:
Spoiler
China & North Korea (Ron – Jeff Bridges)

Daily Doubles
Burt: 400+1000
Dave: 6600-6600
Burt: 5200-1200

Coryats
Dave: 13800
Burt: 13800
Ron: 4400

Combined: 32,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: 5000
Burt: 2000
Ron: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dave cost himself a lot more than the wager on the DD2 miss. Ouch what a penalty. It’s a pressure moment with so much on the line and it was unfortunate to see Dave fail to sort through material he has to know quickly enough.

For the FJ! category I was more on a Ron wavelength with my funny precall of Todd.

The clue had me in the right general area for placing Yalu though still lost as I was 0/2 on the correct countries going the 2018 & 2020 Olympics host way.

Nice job by Burt to overcome opponents with over $325,000 in game show winnings between them.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Loved Dave's shirt and tie combo - although it probably violates a few fashion rules which maybe explained his FJ wager the day before. ;)

And he was tearing through WWII until that stumble on Doolittle - get the DD and that one and it's probably another runaway game for him. It's a shame to lose such a great player - no offense at all to Burt, who kept his cool in a very competitive game and therefore it's a well deserved win.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ only because I knew where the Yalu River is. The TOM never would have helped me.

It stinks to see Dave go, but congrats to him on the run!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Near instaget for me in FJ to make up for yesterday.

Managua will probably haunt Dave for years to come. He gets that and he probably has another lock if Burt is forced to go bigger on the DD he missed.

Nice win for Burt. Slow and steady wins the race.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 36,800
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Eats, Shoots, and Leaves; walnuts; Arles; tightrope walker; Freetown; Managua (DD); way (DD)

I'm sad to see Dave go. I think he absolutely made the right call with the TDD, but The Lights are powerful.
StevenH wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:38 pm I got FJ only because I knew where the Yalu River is. The TOM never would have helped me.
The TOM definitely helped me. I knew that the Yalu had some connection to North Korea, and I probably would have realized that the other party in a 1990 "Friendship Bridge" was not likely to be South Korea, but the "best friend" bit sealed the deal.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lazy me watched it early on Reddit.

I wonder what they would've done if someone had said "Mark Chesnutt" on the "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" clue? Alex didn't say it absolutely had to be a Hot 100 peak, and Chesnutt's version was also released in 1998 and was a #1 hit on Hot Country Singles & Tracks.

The Michael Jackson song was my only miss. I never would've guessed that he was still having hits in 1995, and the title was too generic to pin to any artist.

I knew hack = taxi driver/cabbie because my mom used to watch the CBS show Hack.

Overthought "fashionable woman of the 1920s" and thought they wanted the NAME of someone famous in that era.

Walnut was my only miss in Nuts. Even after the two negs, I was stumped.

That one Weird Words clue was huge negbait on trapeze/tightrope. I couldn't pull the latter after the former was negged, and I imagine the contestants did likewise.

My two Lach Trashes were amusing: I knew Eats Shoots & Leaves because there was a copy of it right in front of me, and I knew the meaning of intinction because my first pastor used that word a lot and made a dipping motion every time he said it.

Yalu River? Sounds like China. Then what's nearby?... Uh... uh... North Korea it is. Woo 3/3!
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm Yalu River? Sounds like China. Then what's nearby?... Uh... uh... North Korea it is. Woo 3/3!
See what happens when you guess instead of just throwing your hands up in despair? :)

Congratulations!
hscer

Post by hscer »

I can't be the only one surprised we're already done seeing Dave on Jeopardy.

Obvious FJ in retrospect, but I couldn't do better than Czechia and Slovakia. 1990 threw me. I did think of North Korea but, unbelievably, not China, just Russia and South Korea (which would of course be terribly wrong).
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:35 pm Coryat: 36,800
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Eats, Shoots, and Leaves; walnuts; Arles; tightrope walker; Freetown; Managua (DD); way (DD)

I'm sad to see Dave go. I think he absolutely made the right call with the TDD, but The Lights are powerful.
StevenH wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:38 pm I got FJ only because I knew where the Yalu River is. The TOM never would have helped me.
The TOM definitely helped me. I knew that the Yalu had some connection to North Korea, and I probably would have realized that the other party in a 1990 "Friendship Bridge" was not likely to be South Korea, but the "best friend" bit sealed the deal.
Knew the Yalu and the Tumen are the two rivers hat make up North Korea’s northern border; “best friend” made it an easy get. Briefly thought Russia, which does have a short border with NK; thought that was along the Yalu, but a subsequent check shows that it’s the Tumen along which Russia and North Korea meet, south of Vladivostok.

OQ’s prediction on Monday regarding the length of Dave’s reign proves out, although likely not the way he thought it would...
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm Lazy me watchded it early on Reddit.

I wonder what they would've done if someone had said "Mark Chesnutt" on the "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" clue? Alex didn't say it absolutely had to be a Hot 100 peak, and Chesnutt's version was also released in 1998 and was a #1 hit on Hot Country Singles & Tracks.
The category title “Straight to #1” means (at least to my ear) that it had to hit #1 its first week out. Chesnutt didn’t get there until its 14th week on the charts.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

silverpie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm Lazy me watchded it early on Reddit.

The category title “Straight to #1” means (at least to my ear) that it had to hit #1 its first week out. Chesnutt didn’t get there until its 14th week on the charts.
Also, the clue said "they" or "their," which points to a group rather than a solo artist.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

silverpie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 pm

While all of the songs in the category did indeed debut at #1 on the Hot 100 (and TIL the Michael Jackson song in the category was the first to do so), Alex only said "talking about music" when introducing the category. Since he didn't say anything to the effect of "these songs debuted at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100", then I'm sure Chesnutt would at least get an overturn. There is a precedent for overturns if Alex didn't fully explain the category, or if no "rules" were given at the outset.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:23 pm Also, the clue said "they" or "their," which points to a group rather than a solo artist.
Probably a fair point, but on the other hand, singular "they" does exist.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Dave should've recommended the liederkranz. :lol:
trash: Eats, Shoots, & Leaves, walnuts, tightrope walker, Freetown, way DD. :)
Shoulda got the Managua DD, but I misread Central America as Central Africa :?
Yalu River pretty much limited FJ to China and the Norks. :geek:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:25 pm
silverpie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 pm The category title “Straight to #1” means (at least to my ear) that it had to hit #1 its first week out. Chesnutt didn’t get there until its 14th week on the charts.
While all of the songs in the category did indeed debut at #1 on the Hot 100 (and TIL the Michael Jackson song in the category was the first to do so), Alex only said "talking about music" when introducing the category. Since he didn't say anything to the effect of "these songs debuted at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100", then I'm sure Chesnutt would at least get an overturn. There is a precedent for overturns if Alex didn't fully explain the category, or if no "rules" were given at the outset.
"Straight to #1" unequivocally means "debuted at #1". No further explanation is required from Alex. If Chesnutt did not debut at #1 on any chart, it would not be a correct answer and would not get an overturn.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:50 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:25 pm
silverpie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 pm The category title “Straight to #1” means (at least to my ear) that it had to hit #1 its first week out. Chesnutt didn’t get there until its 14th week on the charts.
"Straight to #1" unequivocally means "debuted at #1". No further explanation is required from Alex. If Chesnutt did not debut at #1 on any chart, it would not be a correct answer and would not get an overturn.
Not in the context of "He's at #4 this week, and headed straight to #1".
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Well, at any rate the Chesnutt version is a better guess than the first version that entered my mind...

:o :o :o :oops:

(I did pivot to the correct answer in time.)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Straight to Billboard No. 1 (5), Nonfiction (1), Professional Nicknames (1), I Want to Go Nuts! (4), Gonna Paint This Town (4), "Red" (3)
Capital Letters (3), World War II Timeline (5), Animal Planet (2), Weird Words (2), Religious-isms (1), Celebrity Partial Name Changes (5)

Lach Trash: Arles, Freetown

I thought of the two Koreas, but discarded it quickly; I didn't think to go just a little further to the north.