Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm Lazy me watched it early on Reddit.

I wonder what they would've done if someone had said "Mark Chesnutt" on the "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" clue? Alex didn't say it absolutely had to be a Hot 100 peak, and Chesnutt's version was also released in 1998 and was a #1 hit on Hot Country Singles & Tracks.

The Michael Jackson song was my only miss. I never would've guessed that he was still having hits in 1995, and the title was too generic to pin to any artist.

I knew hack = taxi driver/cabbie because my mom used to watch the CBS show Hack.

Overthought "fashionable woman of the 1920s" and thought they wanted the NAME of someone famous in that era.

Walnut was my only miss in Nuts. Even after the two negs, I was stumped.

That one Weird Words clue was huge negbait on trapeze/tightrope. I couldn't pull the latter after the former was negged, and I imagine the contestants did likewise.

My two Lach Trashes were amusing: I knew Eats Shoots & Leaves because there was a copy of it right in front of me, and I knew the meaning of intinction because my first pastor used that word a lot and made a dipping motion every time he said it.

Yalu River? Sounds like China. Then what's nearby?... Uh... uh... North Korea it is. Woo 3/3!
but did it go straight to number 1? don't believe it did
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I didn't know it was a reference until now, though. Should've guessed it was a reference to -something- just never thought about it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 pm Not in the context of "He's at #4 this week, and headed straight to #1".
You literally can not go straight to #1 if you have stopped at #4 first.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 pm Not in the context of "He's at #4 this week, and headed straight to #1".
Songs have to ascend the charts usually. A song can go from #4 "straight" to #1 if it makes the 4-1 jump in one week.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:40 pm That one Weird Words clue was huge negbait on trapeze/tightrope. I couldn't pull the latter after the former was negged, and I imagine the contestants did likewise.
It shouldn't have been negbait; "-ambulist" means "walker" (as in "somnambulist").
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:01 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 pm
Songs have to ascend the charts usually. A song can go from #4 "straight" to #1 if it makes the 4-1 jump in one week.
Yes, they usually have to ascend the charts, which is why they don't go straight to #1. Otherwise all #1 songs went straight there at one point or another.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

A Macbeth quote proclaims "What’s done cannot be undone."

Yikes. This coin toss wound up between Dave winning his 4th game and beckoning a new champion. The coin toss disfavored most of us.

I at least give Dave partial credit for rebounding on that DD miss and prevented Burt from making it a runaway game. The fact that Burt was in 3rd place heading into Double Jeopardy certainly had doubts as it could have gone any way you put it. Poor Ron couldn't get much traction into DJ while Dave was up and down and Burt was just sneaking under the radar.

As Aesop once said, "Slow and steady wins the race."

But...whoa. Dave took an early gamble and just veered off the tracks like a runaway train. I never thought that the DDs would have been picked not even with half of the board left in DJ and the rest of the way was just regular value clues. But, I seriously have a feeling that Burt isn't going to last tomorrow's game with the way this game went.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

So Ron was the ringer in this match? Burt says - not in my house! What a smooth game he played. I don't know if he was clamming or just losing buzzer battles.

Black and English Pistachios? Really? We have a black walnut tree and the nutmeats are the absolute best flavored nut of them all - cashews and macadamia nuts can take a hike! Almonds are little more than wood pulp and something to spit out of the Almond Joy bar (which transforms it to a Mounds ;) ). Pecans are OK, but little flavor. Peanuts, well, aren't nuts (or peas either :) ). But - it's almost impossible to get the nutmeats out of the rock hard black walnut shell with all the little compartments. If I was selling as a cash crop they would cost $500/ounce. End of gratuitous foodie commentary.

FJ was reasonable to suss out if you ignored the geography TOM. What nation is going to rename a bridge in 1990 to suck up to a neighbor? I did start with Vietnam and Cambodia from the familiar sounding river name, but don't know their relationship status.

I think the wordplay DD's have to be the worst case nightmare for a contestant. Dave mostly recovered and Ron disappeared but Burt was silently taking control. So, no more TOC candidates this season? I can't really say I want to re-watch TOC reruns even though I know I still won't do any better or remember any answers.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Ron reminded me (in voice, looks, and mannerisms) of a slightly rounder Adam Savage of the Mythbusters.

Entertaining game tonight - I imagined Dave would go a lot further than three wins. Still, great game by Burt.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This game reminded me of Mark Runsvold in his fifth game going up against Samer Ismail, and the other challenger (whose name of course I can't remember) getting a lock game.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

For once it helps to actually know some history. In the Korean War, MacArthur's forces had NK forces on the run, and would have pursued them and finished them off, except Truman ordered him not to follow them across the Yalu River because that would have crossed into Chinese territory and opened a brand new, gigantic can of worms. So yeah, this one was pretty much an Instaget, with or without the TOM.

I am also saddened and surprised to see Dave go so soon, but that's still a very nice run and really something to be proud of. LT on walnuts, Arles Freetown, and (intinction).

My streak of correct FJs runs to 11!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I had Managua/Nicaragua right away, but it’s just occurred to me, was there anything else in the clue to pin it? San Salvador also ends with the same last four letters of El Salvador. I don’t think having the same last 8 letters would make this an incorrect response as it does still have the same last 4.

I can’t remember the full wording but I think that was pretty much the only requirement. Very sloppy writing if two of the seven countries in mainland Central America would have technically fit. Maybe I’m forgetting something though...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think it said the city had seven letters in its name.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:07 am I think it said the city had seven letters in its name.
That would make sense! Carry on, nothing to see here.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My main problems with that clue (here's the text: "This 7-letter Central American capital ends in the same 4 letters as its country") were on my end. First, somehow I read it as the capital belonging to a country with a four-letter name, and of course Peru's capital doesn't end in "-peru." Second, as evidenced in the end of the last sentence, I read "Central American" and thought "Latin American." Luckily I got over the first misread, and the second one didn't change the right answer, and I was able to dredge up a sense that a Latin American capital rhymed with its country, and then solidify that sense into Managua.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I should've known at least some of the Central American capitals because of the Central American Capitals category in this game where no one even managed to ring in for the entire category. While it is a short list to remember at only seve nentries, I would also say it's lower priority in general, since other than Panama City, I don't think any of them are really known for anything other than being a capital.

Central America in general doesn't seem to stick in my head. At least twice, when it's been an FJ! category, I've managed to pull every country except the ones that are the correct responses.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:54 am This game reminded me of Mark Runsvold in his fifth game going up against Samer Ismail, and the other challenger (whose name of course I can't remember) getting a lock game.
Brian McEntee is the name.

Turns out I had to fish through the j-archive website to figure out which season Mark Runsvold was in.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:35 pm Turns out I had to fish through the j-archive website to figure out which season Mark Runsvold was in.
Searching for "runsvold" would have been faster.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

I would have to side with TPH on this one, in thinking that 'Straight to # 1', at least to me, does not imply that it necessarily debuted at # 1. I would interpret it as meaning it had a fairly rapid rise up the charts, and did not stay at the same position or slip back down the charts at any point before reaching # 1.

A weak analogy would be if my wife told me to come straight home after work. That does not mean that she is asking me to be home instantaneously after stepping out of the office door. It means do not make any stops or detours along the way.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

48 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Eats, Shoots, and Leaves; Walnuts; Marc Chagall; Arles; Tightrope Walker; Freetown; (Managua); (Way)

Grozny not a stumper? :shock:

Knew Joan Didion at one time.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Steppenwolf wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:30 pm I would have to side with TPH on this one, in thinking that 'Straight to # 1', at least to me, does not imply that it necessarily debuted at # 1. I would interpret it as meaning it had a fairly rapid rise up the charts, and did not stay at the same position or slip back down the charts at any point before reaching # 1.

A weak analogy would be if my wife told me to come straight home after work. That does not mean that she is asking me to be home instantaneously after stepping out of the office door. It means do not make any stops or detours along the way.
That is indeed a weak analogy, being that it is physically impossible to come home from work instantly (if you don't work at home), but not impossible for a song to become #1 instantly (enough) upon release. Moreover, isn't appearing at a lower position on a chart before becoming #1 tantamount to making a stop on the way home?