Thursday, July 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7814, 2018-07-26

CONTESTANTS
Rick Terpstra, an aspiring English teacher from Havertown, Pennsylvania
Ian Flynn, a copy editor from Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Burt Westermeier, a Ph.D. candidate from New Haven, Connecticut (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, all. Thank you, Johnny. As you've just noticed, our champion, Burt, has a beautiful smile. But early in the game yesterday, he wasn't smiling quite so much. He was in the red. Then suddenly, in Double Jeopardy!, he came alive and won the game. So Ian and Rick, you've got a lot to contend with. Good luck, players. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FOR ME & MY GAL GADOT (5/5)
SAINTS ON EARTH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NO S ENDING! (4/4) (Alex: We want you to correct the name which has an incorrect spelling. It has an "S" that doesn't belong at the end...)
POTPOURRI (5/5)
ANTI UP (3/5)
DEAL THE CARDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ian: 12 R, 0 W
Burt: 8 R, 0 W
Rick: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ian: $2,800
Rick: $2,000
Burt: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Rick Terpstra is an aspiring teacher from Pennsylvania who knows a lot more about the internet than I do, because your response a few moments ago--do you remember what you said?

Rick: I said Messenger.

Alex: Messenger. I had no idea that was going to be judged correct.

Rick: Wow.

Alex: We've done some research. You're picking up $2,000.

Rick: Oh, wonderful.

Alex: Just like that. That's great. Now, when you go to a heavy metal concert, you don't expect to have happen to yourself what happened to you. Tell us.

Rick: That's right. My wife, Deb, and I, we usually tell people that we met in college. The part we sometimes leave out is that we met in college on the way back to campus sharing a cab from a Metallica concert.

Alex: It worked out nicely.

Rick: It did. Absolutely.

Alex: Okay, Ian Flim--Flynn, sorry--is from Portsmouth, New Hampshire. I've been hearing a lot of ads on the radio these days about products to cure people of their snoring. You did it in a more elementary fashion, and it drew some applause from people.

Ian: That's right, Alex. I got to play the hero on a cross-country flight one night when there was a gentlemen snoring as loud as can be a few seats ahead of me, and people were kind of looking around, wondering, "Is someone going to do something about this?" So I unbuckled my seat belt, marched right up to his seat, and I shook him awake, and I said, "Sir, the entire cabin can hear you snoring." And before he could gather his wits, I headed back to my seat to the adulation of my peers. It was quite a moment.

[Alex high-fives Ian.]

Alex: Way to go!

Ian: Thank you.

Alex: Burt Westermeier is our champion. He is a Ph.D. candidate. He's writing a dissertation on Santiago de Compostela. Where is that exactly?

Burt: It's in northwestern Spain, and it was sort of the third biggest site of pilgrimage in the Middle Ages, after Rome and Jerusalem, but much less well-remembered.

Alex: Aren't they still holding pilgrimages that travel through the northern part of Spain and wind up in Santiago?

Burt: It's very popular now, and in fact, I did just a 100-kilometer section a few years ago. So I have my "Compostela", a little certificate that--

Alex: Okay, good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rick found the Daily Double on the 16th clue. Burt had $1,400, Ian had $2,800, and Rick was at $2,000. Rick made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

SAINTS ON EARTH $800: This river flows into the gulf of the same name, northeast out of Lake Ontario

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANTI UP $600: Giant coastal cliffs typify the South Pacific's Antipodes Islands, an outlying group belonging to this nation

ANTI UP $1000: If electrons ever meet these, their antimatter counterparts, the 2 "annihilate" each other, releasing a lot of energy

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ian: $6,800
Rick: $6,200
Burt: $3,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE 16th CENTURY (3/5)
THIS CATEGORY IS "P.G." (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV WITH HIGH RATINGS (5/5)
15-LETTER WORDS (1/3)
QUEENS OF THE LITERARY REALM (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rick: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Burt: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Ian: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rick snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Burt had $3,400, Ian had $11,200, and Rick was at $9,800. Rick wagered $3,000.

THIS CATEGORY IS "P.G." $1200: It's also called the hypophysis because it lies under the brain

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Burt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Burt had $10,600, Ian had $9,600, and Rick was at $11,600. Burt wagered $1,000.

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE $1600: In 1951 an airstrip was cut in the jungle near this nation's Mayan ruins of Tikal

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE 16th CENTURY $1600: He ruled the Spanish empire at the height of its power
(Burt: Who is Charles V?)

THE 16th CENTURY $2000: This admiral for whom a doomed luxury liner would later be named drove the French out of Genoa

THIS CATEGORY IS "P.G." $1600: This rodent is named for its cheek pouches

THIS CATEGORY IS "P.G." $2000: Now a museum, the Palazzo Venier Dei Leoni in Venice houses the art collection of this American heiress
(Rick: Who is Patty Guggenheim?)

15-LETTER WORDS $2000: The 1935, 1964 & 2018 State of the Union addresses used this word for the poor & needy
(Ian: What is poverty?)

15-LETTER WORDS $1200: Secrecy, or a type of agreement not to disclose details publicly
(Ian: What is nondisclosure?)
(Rick: What is clandestine?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rick: $12,800
Burt: $11,600
Ian: $9,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Rick: Wager $10,401 to cover Burt.
Burt: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Ian, hoping that you give the correct response and Rick doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $7,601 to cover Ian's doubled score, but no more than $9,200 if you want to top Rick on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,999 and win if both Rick and Ian miss Final.
Ian: You ought to try wagering between $2,001 and $5,600. This will top a $0 wager by Burt while still beating Rick and Burt on the Triple Stumper (should Rick wager to cover Burt's doubled score and Burt wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Almost 100 when he died in 2018, this North Carolina man became just the 4th private citizen to lie in honor at the U.S. Capitol

FINAL SCORES
Ian: $9,600 - $3,300 = $6,300 (Who Armstrong) (3rd place: $1,000)
Burt: $11,600 + $11,600 = $23,200 (Who is Billy Graham?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rick: $12,800 + $10,401 = $23,201 (Who was Billy Graham?) (New champion: $23,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Burt: $12,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Rick: $9,800, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Ian: $9,600, 16 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $31,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Rick: 18/60 = .300
Burt: 17/59 = .288
Ian: 16/58 = .276
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
POTPOURRI $400: It was Ford's second big seller, starting with the 1928 model year

POTPOURRI $1000: Begun as an alternative to SMS messaging & now part of Facebook, it helps a billion people keep in touch
(Rick: What is Messenger?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct during contestant interviews]

DEAL THE CARDS $200: In a variant of this game, instead of "Do you have any aces?", you ask for an ace of a specific suit
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

NO S ENDING! $1000: Whitney Cummings,
E.E. Cummings,
Alan Cummings
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TV WITH HIGH RATINGS $400: For 6 straight years in the 2000s, this competition show was No. 1 for the season
(Ian: What is Survivor?)

TV WITH HIGH RATINGS $2000: In 1994 the Winter Olympics scored 48.5 with its coverage of this event
(Ian: What is figure skating?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Ian: What is [*]?)

THIS CATEGORY IS "P.G." $800: The PG movies--well, PG-13--of this P.G. include "San Andreas" & "Cinderella Man"

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE $1200: Synonymous with cutting a path through the jungle, its name is from the Spanish for "hammer"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE $2000: This jungle-dweller of South America uses its mini-trunk to browse higher for twigs & leaves

IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE $800: See gorillas in their jungle habitat on a safari to the republic of this river
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Saint Lawrence
New Zealand
positrons
the pituitary gland
Guatemala
Philip II
Andrea Doria
pocket gopher
Peggy Guggenheim
underprivileged
confidentiality
Billy Graham
the Model A
WhatsApp (or Messenger)
Go Fish
Alan Cumming
American Idol
women's figure skating
Paul Giamatti
machete
a tapir
Congo
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Almost 100 when he died in 2018, this North Carolina man became just the 4th private citizen to lie in honor at the U.S. Capitol

Burt Westermeier: 11600+11600=23200
Ian Flynn: 9600-3300=6300
Rick Terpstra: 12800+10401=23201 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Billy Graham (Ian – Armstrong)

Daily Doubles
Rick: 2000+2000
Rick: 9800+3000
Burt: 10600+1000

Coryats
Burt: 12200
Ian: 9600
Rick: 9800

Combined: 31,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Burt: 3800
Ian: 6800
Rick: 6200

Fixed DD3: It was Burt and not Ian. Thanks Bamaman.
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The clue with the reversal was POTPOURRI $1000: Begun as an alternative to SMS Messaging & now part of Facebook, it helps a billion people keep in touch

Rick was negged for Messenger (Alex wanted WhatsApp) and got credit for a correct response after the break.

Burt found DD3 in a middle position of 10600 against 11600 and 9600 with 4 clues worth $2400 remaining. Burt got it right while betting the lead/deficit making the wager $600 below box value. It did not work out as Rick added $1200 to his score getting the two clues right that got played out of the four remaining.

If time had remained to complete the round then there could have been the possibility of a 12800 tie going into the FJ! round.

The FJ! clue busted me again demonstrating why I have a .325 on Current Events on LL. I drew a blank and knew I would know the name and feel like an idiot when I saw it. With time almost gone I scribbled Helms to avoid a blank page.

It’s not like I didn’t see the news coverage and read about it. For my mom I ordered a special tribute edition published by USA Today. My brother and mom recently went to a local revival led by Franklin. There were posts (including by me) on the J! Board in the Current Events thread around the time of the death. Heck I even saw the Superstar with the same name wrestle :D …. Ugh! I should be at 75% for the week and instead it’s 50%. I figure the salt on the wound will come with today’s mail and a mailer from family name will be there to taunt me.

I sympathize with Ian being in the same boat. His consolation was either way he was going to lose and only get the $1000.

Rick’s previous game show experience: http://wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44358

(Forgot to mention this yesterday) One game to go in the season and once again Sg is the most recent (along with KJ & DM in earlier seasons) champ to win all five games of the last week of the season.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I would describe Dave and Rick as "known quantities" in trivia/quiz bowl circles, and I'd bet the Green Room wasn't the first time they'd met. I wonder if Rick was held aside until Dave lost/the end of the week?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I have to admit that I only vaguely remember hearing of Billy Graham's passing, so I had no idea on FJ.

Congrats to Rick on the win!
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Another easy FJ!. I'm surprised Ian didn't get it considering Billy Graham's passing was big news this year.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ, been a pretty easy week. Nice to have a good, close game.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 27,600
42 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: positrons, underprivileged

A day after Dave's aggressive DD3 led to Burt's victory, Burt's own timid DD3 wager did him in. At the very least, I think he should have counted the money left on the board and wagered enough to guarantee the lead heading to FJ!

Speaking of FJ!, I completely blanked. I knew it would be a headslap-upon-reveal name, but it just didn't come to me. I also blanked on "confidentiality" even though I used to write and edit quite a few of them as part of my legal practice. Glad Rick was the one on stage today and not me.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:17 pm
(Forgot to mention this yesterday) One game to go in the season and once again Sg is the most recent (along with KJ & DM in earlier seasons) champ to win all five games of the last week of the season.
A PM came in to let me know that Gary Giardino swept the last week of Season 2. Even though not the last week of the season Ed Schiffer swept the last week of regular play of S9.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Who were the other three? I am pretty sure Rosa Parks was one.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:22 pm Who were the other three? I am pretty sure Rosa Parks was one.
I was wondering the same thing. Looks like you are right about Parks, and the other two were Capitol Police who were killed in a shooting in 1998.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

These were some very tough boards IMO.

Recognized nothing in the Gal Gadot category. She has only two other hits in the Archive. Any reason why knowing that she's Israeli is $200 box material?

I thought TV for $400 was huge negbait for Survivor.

I knew Billy Graham died recently, but "Capitol" had me dead set that it had to have been a politician, so I put down "Strom Thurmond" with the utmost confidence. Now you see why I hate to guess...

Good to know my chance at only my third ever 5/5 was blown on Thursday and not on Friday.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

As a senator, Thurmond was not a private citizen. And he died in 2003.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:03 pm As a senator, Thurmond was not a private citizen. And he died in 2003.
And the wrong Carolina, too. Still, my brain locked onto "in the Capitol? Must be a politician" and I figured Strom had to be right. I couldn't figure out what "private citizen" meant in this context, and even if I had, I think the Capitol bit still would've thrown me for a loop.

Still better than on this one from 2006, where a 19-year-old me couldn't even figure out what "lie in state" meant. That's one of two times I remember where I literally could not figure out what the clue was even asking (the other being this 2011 Kids' Week game).
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash: Philip II, underprivledged
could not come up with Billy Graham. Should've got this easily. How quickly we forget. :oops:
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

40 right.

For Me & My Gal Gadot (2), Saints on Earth (5), No S Ending! (4), Potpourri (4), Anti Up (3), Deal the Cards (4)
It's a Jungle Out There (4), 16th Century (4), Category is "P.G." (3), TV High Ratings (3), 15-Letter Words (1), Queens of the Literary Realm (3)

Lach Trash: underprivileged. Andrea Doria, Peggy Guggenheim

First time I've answered The Song of Roland correctly.

Instaget FJ.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:30 pm I knew Billy Graham died recently, but "Capitol" had me dead set that it had to have been a politician
Yeah, that got me, too. I knew it couldn't be a politician, but like Mark, I threw down Jesse Helms just to say something.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Graham died on Feb 21. When was this taped? I bet I would've gotten it back when this was taped.

On the 1959 championship for this card game, should there have been a BMS on just plain Bridge? Or does Bridge always mean Contract Bridge (which I assume this was) unless you specify a variation?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:52 pm Or does Bridge always mean Contract Bridge (which I assume this was) unless you specify a variation?
Yes, this.