Friday, July 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7815, 2018-07-27

Last game of Season 34.

CONTESTANTS
Jerry Tsai, a data scientist from Los Angeles, California
Karla Nickels, a retired business and property manager from Newcastle, Oklahoma
Rick Terpstra, an aspiring English teacher from Havertown, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $23,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I begin today with some advice for our three players. Do your utmost, because the player who wins today gets to go home and relax for the next six weeks, because starting Monday, for you folks at home, you get to re-enjoy some of the special tournaments from this past season. So Jerry, Karla, and Rick, good luck. Here we go. Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TRAVEL HAWAII (5/5)
QUICK BOOKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
QUOTABLE WOMEN (4/5)
THE WORST PICTURE RAZZIE (5/5)
SOUNDS LIKE IT TO ME (4/5)
KEEP ON TRUCKIN' (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jerry: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Rick: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Karla: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rick found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Rick had $1,600, Karla had $1,600, and Jerry was at $1,400. Rick made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

QUICK BOOKS $600: 1813:
Ms. Bennet confronts 2 specific things

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jerry: $4,000
Rick: $3,000
Karla: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jerry Tsai is from Los Angeles. You and I have something in common. You took a vow of silence when you did what?

Jerry: I went to a Zen meditation retreat, and I did not speak a word for two weeks.

Alex: Oh, that's a lot longer than I had with a Trappist monastery in Quebec, Canada. Did it help?

Jerry: Yes.

Alex: All right, that's all you can ask for.

Alex: Karla Nickels is from Newcastle, Oklahoma. You took the Jeopardy! audition and you got good news out of that, but something exciting happened also. What?

Karla: Yes, we had a little wrinkle. About halfway through the written test, alarms start going off. We all had to troop out and spend almost two hours outside the building until the fire department could come and put out the fire in the parking garage and give the all-clear.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Rick Terpstra is our champion. He's from Pennsylvania. We keep introducing you as an aspiring English teacher. Why?

Rick: Well, right after college, I went to law school and practiced law for about twelve years. And after a while, I decided I was feeling called on a different path, so after a long conversation with my wife, I went back to grad school to get my teaching certificate.

Alex: Well, good for you.

Rick: Thank you.

Alex: That's great. We need great teachers.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
QUOTABLE WOMEN $1000: She once remarked, "Freaks was a thing that I photographed a lot"

SOUNDS LIKE IT TO ME $1000: Hey! It's a 6-letter bray from Mr. Ed
(Jerry: What is hee-haw?)
(Rick: What is neigh?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jerry: $5,200
Rick: $4,200
Karla: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLASSICAL MUSIC TERMS (5/5)
AROUND THE BODY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DEFUNCT SPORTS FRANCHISES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NORSE GODS (5/5)
FOUND IN TRANSLATION (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word--a shorter word than "translation", but made up of the letters in "translation".)
THE U.S. CONGRESS WITH NANCY PELOSI (4/5) (Nancy Pelosi: I'm House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, here to present clues about the U.S. Congress.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rick: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Jerry: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Karla: 3 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jerry snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Rick had $5,000, Karla had $2,400, and Jerry was at $6,000. Jerry wagered $3,000.

AROUND THE BODY $1200: Named for the way they release secretions, they're the body's 2 main types of glands

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rick who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Rick had $7,800, Karla had $3,600, and Jerry was at $12,200. Rick wagered $2,000.

DEFUNCT SPORTS FRANCHISES $2000: In 1914 & 1915 the Terrapins repped this town in baseball's upstart Federal League

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FOUND IN TRANSLATION $400: To restrict distribution of something scarce

FOUND IN TRANSLATION $1200: Irregular plural word for multiple layers of something

THE U.S. CONGRESS WITH NANCY PELOSI $2000: (Nancy Pelosi reads the clue.) In 2009, I proudly unveiled the Capitol portrait of this first African-American woman elected to Congress, who said she wanted to be remembered as a catalyst for change
(Alex: And our sincere thanks to Nancy Pelosi for helping us out with that U.S. Congress category.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jerry: $18,200
Rick: $17,400
Karla: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Jerry: Wager $16,601 to cover Rick. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $5,401.
Rick: Your score is within 4/5ths of Jerry's, so wager between $1,601 (venusian) and $6,199 (martian), beating Jerry's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Karla's part.
Karla: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Rick, but if Rick decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $4,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last survivor of this battle that started a war died in 1854 & more men marched at his funeral than fought with him

FINAL SCORES
Karla: $5,600 - $0 = $5,600 (What is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rick: $17,400 - $801 = $16,599 (What is Bunker Hill?) (2-day champion: $39,800)
Jerry: $18,200 - $16,801 = $1,399 (What is Fort Sumter?) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jerry: $16,400, 23 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Rick: $16,400, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Karla: $5,600, 9 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $38,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jerry: 23/59 = .390
Rick: 21/60 = .350
Karla: 9/58 = .155
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
QUICK BOOKS $200: 1903:
A dog runs with the wolves
(Jerry: What is White Fang?)

TRAVEL HAWAII $600: This tower, in downtown Honolulu, was built to say welcome to tourists arriving in the 1920s and '30s

SOUNDS LIKE IT TO ME $800: Large ones can measure more than 5 feet across
(Rick: What is a timpani?)

KEEP ON TRUCKIN' $400: In trucker jargon, a "dragon wagon" is one of these vehicles you don't want to have to call when out on the road
(Jerry: What is a pick-up truck?)

THE WORST PICTURE RAZZIE $1000: Come out to the coast, we'll have a few laughs...he starred in Worst Pics 3 years apart--"Hudson Hawk" & "Color of Night"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

AROUND THE BODY $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents a diagram of a tooth on the monitor.) Between a tooth's enamel & the pulp is this hard, yellow, sensitive layer of tissue that makes up the bulk of the tooth

DEFUNCT SPORTS FRANCHISES $1200: From 1974 to 1976, this city had a pro basketball team called the "Spirits of" it
(Jerry: What is Philadelphia?)

NORSE GODS $1600: Delling, whose name means "luminous one", was the personification of this daily moment
(Jerry: What is noon?)

NORSE GODS $2000: This goddess of the dead has become synonymous with the world of darkness over which she reigned

FOUND IN TRANSLATION $800: A facetious, often bawdy tribute banquet
(Jerry: What is a... toast?)

FOUND IN TRANSLATION $1600: To lean or tilt to one side
(Rick: What is slant?)
[Originally ruled incorrect, ruled correct at the end of the Double Jeopardy! Round.]

THE U.S. CONGRESS WITH NANCY PELOSI $800: (Nancy Pelosi reads the clue.) While Congress has declared war on 11 occasions, the first was on June 17 of this year, against Great Britain
(Rick: What is 1776?)

THE U.S. CONGRESS WITH NANCY PELOSI $1200: (Nancy Pelosi reads the clue.) Nonvoting members of Congress include Eleanor Holmes Norton representing Washington, D.C. & Jenniffer González-Colón serving this hurricane-devastated island

THE U.S. CONGRESS WITH NANCY PELOSI $1600: (Nancy Pelosi reads the clue.) In February 2018 I took to the House floor speaking for over 8 hours in support of this program that temporarily protects the Dreamers in our country from being deported

THE U.S. CONGRESS WITH NANCY PELOSI $400: (Nancy Pelosi reads the clue.) I was the 52nd Speaker of the House & the first woman to hold the post since Congress convened in 1789 with 59 representatives; today, our 115th Congress has this many House members
(Rick: What is 438?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Pride and Prejudice
Diane Arbus
whinny
exocrine and endocrine
Baltimore
ration
strata
Shirley Chisholm
the Battle of Lexington
Call of the Wild
Aloha Tower
a gong
a wrecker (or tow truck)
Bruce Willis
the dentin
St. Louis
sunrise
Hel
a roast
list (or slant)
Puerto Rico
DACA
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last survivor of this battle that started a war died in 1854 & more men marched at his funeral than fought with him

Rick Terpstra: 17400-801=16599 (2x=39,800)
Karla Nickels: 5600-0=5600
Jerry Tsai: 18200-16801=1399

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lexington (Rick – Bunker Hill) (Karla – What is) (Jerry – Fort Sumter)

Daily Doubles
Rick: 1600+1600
Jerry: 6000+3000
Rick: 7800+2000

Coryats
Rick: 16400
Karla: 5600
Jerry: 16400

Combined: 38,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Rick: 4200
Karla: 2400
Jerry: 5200

Edited to correct some numbers.
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Karla gave wrecker and Alex had tow truck as expected first response. How many other acceptable terms are there for the thing? Jerry’s pick-up truck was not going to work.

DD3 had Rick trailing 7800 to 12200 and he bet just 2000, the box value. It seemed obvious Rick was comfortable in the category and $2000 slot or not, it could have been a good time to go big. Instead Rick remained in second place.

Second place was the spot to be in the game with the TS FJ! clue. I missed as well while getting closer than the players with a 50/50/90. In my mind it was clearly one or the other and I did not know which way to go. Ugh! I’m sure there is some kind of simple distinguisher that I’ll learn about today in the posts.

The players saved the CONGRESS category for last in the DJ! round to work it out that the round would be completed. In a different order of clue selection the round may not have been completed.

Six weeks of reruns. I’ve seen them all. Break time.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:54 am Second place was the spot to be in the game with the TS FJ! clue. I missed as well while getting closer than the players with a 50/50/90. In my mind it was clearly one or the other and I did not know which way to go. Ugh! I’m sure there is some kind of simple distinguisher that I’ll learn about today in the posts.
I matched Rick with Bunker Hill. When I was on the show I used the Ween version of Schoolhouse Rocks' "Shot Heard Round the World" to confirm that Yorktown was the last battle of the Revolution.

Turns out I don't know the opening lines of that song as well as I though I did, or I'd have gotten this one right:

Now, the ride of Paul Revere
Set the nation on its ear
And the shot at Lexington heard 'round the world

That would have helped me.

I kind of always thought that the "Shot Heard Round the World" was Concord, thanks to Emerson. Jeopardy canon has Lexington as the first battle though.

(Vimeo is blocked at work, so I hope that's the right video. It's a nice cover of the song, if it is.)
Storyteller
Contributor

Post by Storyteller »

I'm Jerry. AMA.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Died in 1854, so it's probably the American Revolution. Lexington and Concord started the war, but which one was it? I remember them simply by remembering that it's normally stylized as Lexington & Concord, and Lexington comes before Concord both in the name and the war.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Storyteller wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:10 pm I'm Jerry. AMA.
Congrats on a very good showing, Jerry. You played well as 23R indicates.

All right, I'll ask. I've heard of The Defense of Fort McHenry and could you give us "The Defense of Fort Sumter?" I'm not trying to mock you or add salt on the wound, I just think your giving your line of thinking early will help when later posts come in.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I am not a fan of this FJ clue - the first part of the war is a bit unclear in terms of what is a battle, what's a skirmish, Emerson's "shot heard round the world," etc. I guess the thinking was that Lexington is most commonly accepted as the start of the war - and it's fairly simple to deduce that they mean the Revolutionary War (sorry, Jerry!!) - but given that it's also referred to as the Battle of Lexington and Concord, would they have accepted that? It just seems that FJ should be conclusive and unambiguous.
Storyteller
Contributor

Post by Storyteller »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 pm
Storyteller wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:10 pm I'm Jerry. AMA.
Congrats on a very good showing, Jerry. You played well as 23R indicates.

All right, I'll ask. I've heard of The Defense of Fort McHenry and could you give us "The Defense of Fort Sumter?" I'm not trying to mock you or add salt on the wound, I just think your giving your line of thinking early will help when later posts come in.
This is a sore spot, in that I actually had the right answer(s) in mind, but because of the wording of the clue I went in a ridiculous direction. So, yeah, I'm happy to try to explain what the hell I was thinking.

The wording of the clue was (quoting from the recapper above): "The last survivor of this battle that started a war died in 1854 & more men marched at his funeral than fought with him"
Spoiler
After a brief hiccup, I thought about Concord and Lexington. At the time, I was under the impression that the battles jointly started the American Revolutionary War. Yet the clue asked for just one battle, not two. The way I interpreted the word "started" was to give it a connotation of causality. So, if I had written the clue, I could have substituted "ignited" for "started", and it would have meant the same to me.

So, since the clue asked for one battle, and I had two in mind, I figured I must be looking in the wrong place. I then tried to see if I could recall the first battle of the War of 1812, and failed. Then I went to the Civil War as time was running out. I knew it as I was writing it that it was a lousy answer, but we were, as contestants, encouraged to write something rather than nothing. So I wrote down the only thing I knew for sure to be a single battle that started a war. Wah-wah.

In that Lexington and Concord were fought on the same day and actually correspond to a series of skirmishes along a round-trip route, I still feel that they jointly started the war. So I feel the clue was worded misleadingly as, absent the specific knowledge of the person's funeral, an answer of "Concord" could have fulfilled the clue. But Alex said that that answer would have been ruled incorrect, which would be proper, as the person being discussed only fought at Lexington.
I'm very curious as to what you and other people on this board think. The answer was a battle which is well known to people who love trivia, yet it was a Triple Stumper. I'd love to know Rick what he was thinking. Based on the answer he gave, was he similarly confused?
CellBlock
Valued Contributor

Post by CellBlock »

Based on your note of Alex's comment, I'm still curious as to how they'd have ruled on the answer of "Lexington and Concord". I've only ever learned/heard of them referred to jointly like that. Wikipedia does have on their "List of last survivors of historical events" (As an aside, let me just say that I love going to Wikipedia and typing "List of..." whatever I'm looking for. Such good trivia.) separate entries for Johnathan Harrington (Last Lexington veteran) and Amos Baker (Last Concord veteran), but it lists them both as "veteran of the Battle of Lexington and Concord."
Storyteller
Contributor

Post by Storyteller »

CellBlock wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:58 pm Based on your note of Alex's comment, I'm still curious as to how they'd have ruled on the answer of "Lexington and Concord". I've only ever learned/heard of them referred to jointly like that. Wikipedia does have on their "List of last survivors of historical events" (As an aside, let me just say that I love going to Wikipedia and typing "List of..." whatever I'm looking for. Such good trivia.) separate entries for Johnathan Harrington (Last Lexington veteran) and Amos Baker (Last Concord veteran), but it lists them both as "veteran of the Battle of Lexington and Concord."
To answer your question, Alex also revealed that "Lexington and Concord" would have been accepted too.
Spoiler
This was not a possibility in my mind, because (1) Logic: if there is a Battle of Lexington and a Battle of Concord, then the appropriate combination would require it to be plural and (2) Authority: Authoritative sources (e.g., encyclopedias) term these the "Battles of Lexington and Concord". So more ambiguity here. So to me it was a choice between Lexington or Concord; I couldn't have both.

And, under time pressure and having no opportunity to ask the clarifying question as to whether writing two things, when one thing appears to be asked for, would be allowable, I instead chose to focus on the War of 1812, reasoning that they couldn't mean the Revolutionary War. The War of 1812 is also mathematically certainly possible (unlike the Civil War). You might imagine that a small battle at the start of that war might have few people fighting, and given the longevity of people then, when a minor scratch could easily kill you, that maybe the last survivor might have died in the 1850s. And, even better yet, you would only have to name a single battle and not have to choose between two closely related ones. I would have much preferred to go down in FJ having written "Tippecanoe".
One thing I've been wondering is whether any singular battle in history ever has ever had been described as having two locations. I've never seen the construction, "the Battle of A and B" for any other battle. So, using the singular "Battle" for two locations must be rare, and, to my thinking, improper.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:54 pm When I was on the show I used the Ween version of Schoolhouse Rocks' "Shot Heard Round the World" to confirm that Yorktown was the last battle of the Revolution.
Thanks for posting the Schoolhouse Rock, MinnesotaMyron!

Nice work today, Jerry! We were sorry to miss a good size chunk of the show in Chicago. A single engine plane landed (successfully) on southbound Lake Shore Drive at the start of the Friday afternoon rush, and WLS cut away to cover it.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The last clue was to identify Shirley Chisholm and nobody rang in. Then Rick gets credit for slant.

I guessed Barbara Jordan. I wonder if Rick had an idea of who it might be but clammed since it still (at the time) leaves him in second. But if he gets it right, he has the lead in FJ but loses on the TS.

Another Concord here. I guess since Lexington is listed first in the pairing, that gives a clue it was the way to go.

Thanks for explaining your question, Jerry. I get confused and say dumb things at home, can’t imagine how I would do under real pressure.

I was so upset Nancy Pelosi was on I will boycott the show for six weeks.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"This wasn't a slow round, why did we run out of.....oh. ffs."

They made a second Basic Instinct? I'm almost afraid to look it up. That category also managed to remind me of the hours of my life spent watching Wild Wild West and Mommie Dearest that I'll never get back. Thanks for that, J! writers.

So, 1854. Too late to be the last survivor of the first battle of 1812, whatever that was (plus 1812 was used earlier), gotta be the Revolution -> Battle of Lexington, done.

That initial 'slant' ruling...sometimes I wonder about these judges.

Bring on the SHC.
hscer

Post by hscer »

I missed the word "died" in the clue and thought the battle took place in 1854, which didn't make sense, so I tried to think of a) what they called Kansas-Nebraska, and b) some sort of skirmish with Native Americans. Oh well.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a great board to end the season, but man did it get the better of me. Props to all three contestants for handling it beautifully!

As much as I disagree with her politics and usually dislike entire categories with a famous person reading clues, I really enjoyed Nancy Pelosi's appearance. Props to her as well!

I considered Borodino and Lexington for the final...and went with the former. I don't do so great at math while under pressure.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I played FJ! at 5:30 AM off the Clue of the Day on little sleep, misread it badly, and guessed Balaclava.

Not that I would have (a) necessarily included the second syllable had I written my incorrect response out (because I sometimes confuse it with a Middle Eastern dessert) or (b) necessarily gotten the clue right even with a correct reading (I would have known that the clue was asking about the Revolutionary War, and that Lexington was the first battle of the Revolutionary War, but I would have likely ended up going with Bunker Hill for reasons similar to the reasons why Jerry missed the clue.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't see how "Allemagne" is a classical music term. Google and Wikipedia are of no help. Explain?

All but Bruce Willis in Razzies.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: whinny