Friday, July 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Storyteller
Contributor

Re: Friday, July 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Storyteller »

davey wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:04 am Reassuring to learn that Lexington and Concord would have been accepted. I didn't want an FJ fail to end the season (though my best streak of the season ended last night... :evil: ), and I was too unsure to stop at Lexington, I doubt I've ever heard them uncoupled. battlefields.org (The American Battlefield Trust) among others, treats them as one. Makes sense to me.. :D
I'm curious, in that the clue asked for just one battle, would you have had the courage to write both locations for your answer?
Spoiler
Because I didn't.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

I thought this FJ was an excellent clue that made us put several elements together to get it.

I did the math, added in a little bit of history and logic, got to the right war, right year, and.....missed it by THAT much!!!

Wonder if they would have accepted just "Concord.?" ehhhhh, probably not. Dang. What the heck was i thinking to get that close and still miss?
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

"More men marched at his funeral. . ."
That was enough to rule out Bunker Hill in my mind. I would have gone with Lexington and Concord, but if I had to choose one it would have been Concord, on the strength of Emerson's line. It's wrong, though. Checking the history, Lexington and Concord were separate engagements, with the American forces being substantially greater at Concord and under different command.
davey

Post by davey »

Storyteller wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am
davey wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:04 am Reassuring to learn that Lexington and Concord would have been accepted. I didn't want an FJ fail to end the season (though my best streak of the season ended last night... :evil: ), and I was too unsure to stop at Lexington, I doubt I've ever heard them uncoupled. battlefields.org (The American Battlefield Trust) among others, treats them as one. Makes sense to me.. :D
I'm curious, in that the clue asked for just one battle, would you have had the courage to write both locations for your answer?
Spoiler
Because I didn't.
It was a dilemma...as I said, I wrote down Lexington (I always write down my response at home) and kept going, only because I've never heard the names separated, but I was concerned that made it wrong. I don't blame you for being fazed by the clue, but the way I see it there were three good choices for a response. Apparently 2 of them were acceptable.
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:39 am I thought this FJ was an excellent clue that made us put several elements together to get it.

I did the math, added in a little bit of history and logic, got to the right war, right year, and.....missed it by THAT much!!!

Wonder if they would have accepted just "Concord.?" ehhhhh, probably not. Dang. What the heck was i thinking to get that close and still miss?
Your answer is in the Spoiler part-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4774#p286685
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

49 R
DD: 2/3 (Pride & Prejudice, Endocrine & Exocrine)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Whinny, Ration, Strata, Shirley Chisholm
Douglas Squasoni
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Went back too far and came up with the Boston Massacre.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mahalo_back

Post by mahalo_back »

Storyteller wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:39 pm One thing I've been wondering is whether any singular battle in history ever has ever had been described as having two locations. I've never seen the construction, "the Battle of A and B" for any other battle. So, using the singular "Battle" for two locations must be rare, and, to my thinking, improper.
Fascinating question. I can't think of any other examples. And it's hard to argue with your logic.

I taped my show the day before you, was in first going into the final like you and got flustered trying to sort through a lot of information on what, in retrospect, feels like a very getable clue.

It's a weird thing. Most people will never know how hard the adrenaline is pumping and your brain is spinning in circles because you obviously had the knowledge you needed to get to the answer. It's just a lot different when the music is playing and cameras are on. And then even fewer people know what it's like to miss out on win because you skip right over the correct answer and write down something you know is wrong.

At least Rick seems like a cool guy who (maybe?) will be a force to be reckoned with going forward. You crushed it. You were quick, agressive, and so smart from start to finish. On any given taping day, you could have ripped off a bunch of episodes in a row.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,800
47 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
LT: whinny, ration, strata, list, Shirley Chisholm

I too was confused by the Lexington/Concord thing, but I went with the one that comes first in the common phrase and hoped for the best.
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 am I must have mixed her likeness up with a generic black woman - maybe it was Valerie Jarett :oops: .
Doubtful it was Jarrett, as she is pretty much the opposite of a "generic black woman" in terms of physical appearance. In fact, Roseanne's main defense against charges of racism stemming from her "Planet of the Apes" tweet was that she didn't know that Jarrett was black. (She claims to have assumed that Jarrett, like Roseanne herself, is Jewish.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:41 pm Coryat: 34,800
47 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
LT: whinny, ration, strata, list, Shirley Chisholm

I too was confused by the Lexington/Concord thing, but I went with the one that comes first in the common phrase and hoped for the best.
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 am I must have mixed her likeness up with a generic black woman - maybe it was Valerie Jarett :oops: .
Doubtful it was Jarrett, as she is pretty much the opposite of a "generic black woman" in terms of physical appearance. In fact, Roseanne's main defense against charges of racism stemming from her "Planet of the Apes" tweet was that she didn't know that Jarrett was black. (She claims to have assumed that Jarrett, like Roseanne herself, is Jewish.)
It was kind of a jokey reference, but I'm glad to see the pic of the infamous love child according to Roseanne. If Al Franken can get rousted for his heinous photobomb crime, then Roseanne has no room to complain. You cannot claim to be non-racist and give aid and comfort to racists and bigots.

Give me two more weeks to forget the Google image of Shirley Chisolm and I'll easily confuse VJ for SC. I don't do faces too well and it's one reason I can't watch old black and white movie classics with all the lookalike hairstyles and leading men.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I always found it easy to remember Shirley Chisholm's name because she spoke with a pronounced lisp.