FJs for the 7/23/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 7/23/18 week?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Paramnesia is another term for this French-named phenomenon–sound familiar?
95%
Debuting in 1946, it was deemed “four triangles of nothing”; some critics even found it sinful
93%
In 1990 the Yalu River Bridge was renamed the “Friendship Bridge” between these 2 nations; one is the other’s best friend
63%
Almost 100 when he died in 2018, this North Carolina man became just the 4th private citizen to lie in honor at the U.S. Capitol
41%
The last survivor of this battle that started a war died in 1854 & more men marched at his funeral than fought with him
56%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
18%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
LITERARY TITLE REFERENCES $2000: "The Old Man and the Sea" (the man)
48%
A RATIO $2000: A law of elasticity says stress is proportional to this "str" word, stretch divided by length
32%
CAPITAL LETTERS $1600 box Daily Double: This 7-letter Central American capital ends in the same 4 letters as its country
60%
In my opinion I needed "sound familiar" in the Monday FJ! clue's wording to correctly solve it.
42%
In my opinion I still would have solved the Monday FJ! clue correctly if it did not include, "sound familiar."
43%
I was half right for the Wednesday FJ! clue getting either China or North Korea though not both.
13%
I missed the Thursday FJ! clue by guessing a former politician.
21%
I had Lexington & Concord for the Friday FJ! clue.
19%
Concord was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
6%

Total votes: 120

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: FJs for the 7/23/18 week

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Billy Graham never entered my mind; not sure if I even knew he was from North Carolina. Might have dredged up Santiago if I'd had five minutes or so, but couldn't pull it out in the time allotted. Strain made perfect sense after-the-fact, but I probably would have blurted "strength" just to say something. Even the elimination of "stress" and "stretch" in the clue didn't help.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Strain made perfect sense after-the-fact, but I probably would have blurted "strength" just to say something. Even the elimination of "stress" and "stretch" in the clue didn't help.
"Stress" plus "length" made it hard not to think of "strength". Or "less".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

Spoiler
0/5: 0
1/5: 0
2/5: 6
3/5: 17
4/5: 18
5/5: 5
160/230 (~70%)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

old man and the sea is only polling at 53 percent? i am probably the least read person on this board and i got that one right
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I think there's about a 43% chance I would have gotten Monday's without the additional clue. I guessed one of the Wright brothers on Thursday (I think Orville)--only 70 years off. I apparently got all kinds of confused on Friday and said Little Big Horn.

32335232[13ToC}31333432344332[2noTB]33334[43CC]33[22TT]2342331333,130-101
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:41 pm old man and the sea is only polling at 53 percent? i am probably the least read person on this board and i got that one right
There's a reason you know this and you probably remember why. Short of reading the book and remembering the character, this name has to come from without. It never has come to me. Somehow it came to you.

That's the beauty of some of these clues. You have a "hey I remember that episode" moment, or "I stumbled into that" serendipity. My favorite is when I guess an opera clue from a Bugs Bunny classic :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:59 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:41 pm old man and the sea is only polling at 53 percent? i am probably the least read person on this board and i got that one right
There's a reason you know this and you probably remember why. Short of reading the book and remembering the character, this name has to come from without. It never has come to me. Somehow it came to you.

That's the beauty of some of these clues. You have a "hey I remember that episode" moment, or "I stumbled into that" serendipity. My favorite is when I guess an opera clue from a Bugs Bunny classic :lol:

is common trivia knowledge...have seen it on numerous trivia game shows and asked at sever pub trivia nights...is pretty much trivia 101 and no reason for it to have been bottom box in that category
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:20 pm

is common trivia knowledge...have seen it on numerous trivia game shows and asked at sever pub trivia nights...is pretty much trivia 101 and no reason for it to have been bottom box in that category
I swear I saw that in one of the WWTBAM recaps but I can't search image text...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:24 pm

I swear I saw that in one of the WWTBAM recaps but I can't search image text...
yeah pretty sure it was on there at some point at least once
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

"Common" trivia knowledge doesn't poll at 53% here ;) . But I did fail to consider the Pavlov's that become acquired through game playing and studying. It's not quite as satisfying as knowing something unexpectedly imho. I won't remember this one for the sake of remembering it again. In my case I'd have to forget something else :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

:( :mrgreen: :oops:

Missed Managua because I didn't RTFQ (RTFC?). I thought it said South American and went through all of the capitals without finding it.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 pm

"Common" trivia knowledge doesn't poll at 53% here ;) . But I did fail to consider the Pavlov's that become acquired through game playing and studying. It's not quite as satisfying as knowing something unexpectedly imho. I won't remember this one for the sake of remembering it again. In my case I'd have to forget something else :lol:
that is why i am shocked...makes little sense how it polled so low
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:58 am Missed Managua because I didn't RTFQ (RTFC?). I thought it said South American and went through all of the capitals without finding it.
I thought it said Central African. I'd have missed it anyway, but still... :oops:
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Said Concord first, added Lexington about halfway through the think music. Came up with Graham about halfway through. The other FJs were instagets.

“Strain” was instaget for me, but I figured it would be tricky for a non-engineer.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

Is there a reason for the polls to be frozen? I'm a bit behind (just watched the week of 6/18) and now I can't vote. :(
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Caboom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 pm Is there a reason for the polls to be frozen? I'm a bit behind (just watched the week of 6/18) and now I can't vote. :(
I have the poll open until November 5 and it looks like I could change my votes today if needed. Other than not being signed in I don't know why you are not allowed to vote.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:56 pm
Caboom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 pm Is there a reason for the polls to be frozen? I'm a bit behind (just watched the week of 6/18) and now I can't vote. :(
I have the poll open until November 5 and it looks like I could change my votes today if needed. Other than not being signed in I don't know why you are not allowed to vote.
Now the polls show as open for me again, must have been a temporary glitch, or perhaps I wasn't logged in after just formatting.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Sorry for the bump, but I never got around to posting my results for this week (which I try to do faithfully now that poll votes are private), and want to get it done before the new season starts.