Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 2 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 2 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:41 pm Now that I see the explanations, I get it; are there any other clues to watch out for, i.e., "frightened" and "messy"? It's a fun category when you know what you're looking for so maybe something to run again towards the end of the challenge?
NY Times has a primer on how to solve these

And check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=4542

And I loved this category!
Last edited by morbeedo on Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am
John Boy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:35 am criminy. maybe if he had said "anagram" instead of some "signal" for anagram :roll: I might have had a chance. I've been solving NYT crosswords for decades and do not remember ever encountering those "secret words" for "anagram." sheesh.
She, for the record.

Cryptic crosswords are kind of their own thing with their own rules. Within the universe of cryptic crosswords, I aimed for 85 mph fastballs down the middle, since I don't consider myself to be good at them. Mainly, I was hoping to follow the rules successfully and write clues I thought I could solve if I hadn't written them.

There was a thread on cryptic crosswords earlier this year, so I hoped the category would not be too far into left field. Here's the link, if I did it right:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4542
Well, thanks for your contribution and thanks for your explanation.

Again, since cryptic crosswords have "their own rules," it would have been extremely helpful here to mention it might be an anagram, or a word hidden within a larger phrase, etc. Without that hint, I was able to guess at two of the five based on other elements of the clue, and had zero idea what the other three were even going for. Include the "rules", I'm thinking I could have had four or even all five right. So, there's that.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:27 pm The song sequel had me too chicken to risk it even with the small penalty. My fear was it being some kind of trick and having a longer title such as "Saturday Night."
Ditto here. I score few enough points that deductions from my minuscules total are terrifying.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

John Boy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:15 pm Again, since cryptic crosswords have "their own rules," it would have been extremely helpful here to mention it might be an anagram, or a word hidden within a larger phrase, etc. Without that hint, I was able to guess at two of the five based on other elements of the clue, and had zero idea what the other three were even going for. Include the "rules", I'm thinking I could have had four or even all five right. So, there's that.
I respectfully disagree. Not knowing how to solve cryptic crosswords is no different than not knowing about a particular song or video game. And we *were* told that all answers started with "P", which I found to be a help.
Teems with quiet fun.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Cryptic X-words are not my thing, but somehow I pulled 'patina'. :?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:00 pm I'm one of the few who didn't get that Gandhi was protesting a salt tax. Afterwards I felt like a dope, but if the clue had said he led a march to the sea I might have had a better chance on it. Of course, since I was trying to draw parallels to the Boston Tea Party, maybe going to the sea wouldn't have made a difference.
I was fortunate in that my High School history class got to see Gandhi at the Cineplex a quarter mile away. The salt protest was one of the major scenes of the movie.
clprez

Post by clprez »

John Boy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:35 am criminy. maybe if he had said "anagram" instead of some "signal" for anagram :roll: I might have had a chance. I've been solving NYT crosswords for decades and do not remember ever encountering those "secret words" for "anagram." sheesh.
She, for the record.

Cryptic crosswords are kind of their own thing with their own rules. Within the universe of cryptic crosswords, I aimed for 85 mph fastballs down the middle, since I don't consider myself to be good at them. Mainly, I was hoping to follow the rules successfully and write clues I thought I could solve if I hadn't written them.

There was a thread on cryptic crosswords earlier this year, so I hoped the category would not be too far into left field. Here's the link, if I did it right:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4542
I have absolutely no idea how to do cryptic crosswords. I read that thread a while back which taught me that some words and phrases have special meaning, but I couldn't remember what. I only got the 15 pointer because I knew it started with "pat" from the butter part of the clue and I read an article a week or so ago about the patina on the Statue of Liberty.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

DBear wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:36 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:00 pm I'm one of the few who didn't get that Gandhi was protesting a salt tax. Afterwards I felt like a dope, but if the clue had said he led a march to the sea I might have had a better chance on it. Of course, since I was trying to draw parallels to the Boston Tea Party, maybe going to the sea wouldn't have made a difference.
I was fortunate in that my High School history class got to see Gandhi at the Cineplex a quarter mile away. The salt protest was one of the major scenes of the movie.
Having seen some of the "Best Picture" Oscar winners would definitely help with this summer's SHC! :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4542
I remember that thread. First time I read it, it was complete gibberish to me, even with the answers/explanations, and I was annoyed with how easy everyone seemed to think it was. Now I'm annoyed with myself for not being able to puzzle out 'pungent' (arrgggghhhhhhhh!). Fantastic job, Linear Gnome.

Speaking of aggravating misses...
...at least I'm not the only one. I clammed (as usual), but my mind went down the same dead end. Yeesh :oops:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4542
I remember that thread. First time I read it, it was complete gibberish to me, even with the answers/explanations, and I was annoyed with how easy everyone seemed to think it was. Now I'm annoyed with myself for not being able to puzzle out 'pungent' (arrgggghhhhhhhh!). Fantastic job, Linear Gnome.

Speaking of aggravating misses...
...at least I'm not the only one. I clammed (as usual), but my mind went down the same dead end. Yeesh :oops:
I also loved the pungent clue in retrospect. But my right brain just can't extract anagrams or word play very well. I'm glad the cheat sheet was posted here - I saw a boardie answer the poinsettia one and wtf??

This is a good category for this type of open time limit situation. I prefer to participate with the idea of a "real time" feel, maybe not the 5 second regular clue or 15? second DD, but I don't plan to ponder over a clue past a 30 second FJ time limit unless it just is on the tip of my tongue.
Count me for the tea party negbait, but it's an unforced error. :oops:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
JoshuaKreitzer
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaKreitzer »

It seems that every time I've checked the scoreboard for the last few days, I've had 1 ungraded day. Is there a good time for me to check the scoreboard when I can expect that all my previous submissions will have been graded?
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

JoshuaKreitzer wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 pm It seems that every time I've checked the scoreboard for the last few days, I've had 1 ungraded day. Is there a good time for me to check the scoreboard when I can expect that all my previous submissions will have been graded?
Ungraded means that the response has been entered but not marked as correct or incorrect (often times because I need to consider it further). I endeavor to make rulings by the end of the weekend (which may be optimistic in light of my injury).
JoshuaKreitzer
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaKreitzer »

rjaguar3 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:51 am
JoshuaKreitzer wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 pm It seems that every time I've checked the scoreboard for the last few days, I've had 1 ungraded day. Is there a good time for me to check the scoreboard when I can expect that all my previous submissions will have been graded?
Ungraded means that the response has been entered but not marked as correct or incorrect (often times because I need to consider it further). I endeavor to make rulings by the end of the weekend (which may be optimistic in light of my injury).
Okay, thanks.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

Having never done a cryptic crossword before, I spent more time on this category than on the entire SHC so far this year... and still only got a couple. For some reason, the 15-pointer came quickly, but I struggled with the rest. And even after seeing the answers, I had to work a while to see why the 3 and 12 pointers worked.

But it was fun, and gave me the incentive (courage?) to try a cryptic in the future.... so thanks for a entertaining and educational category, Linear Gnome!
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Steppenwolf wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:37 pm Having never done a cryptic crossword before, I spent more time on this category than on the entire SHC so far this year... and still only got a couple. For some reason, the 15-pointer came quickly, but I struggled with the rest.
Ditto.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Gondwanaland.gif
Gondwanaland.gif (19.94 KiB) Viewed 3351 times