TD 391 - Game Time (Final results)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

TD 391 - Game Time (Final results)

Post by clt013 »

This TD is called "Game Time" and the question titles are games you might play with family and/or friends.

Rules/Notes
1) Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer
2) You may use one drop and take zero points for that question
3) You may elect to take the sheep answer for one question
4) There is no bonus for not using the "drop" or "sheep", so you probably want to take the former and get a zero for one question
5) Wrong responses are the higher of either +10 points or the "sheep" answer +3
6) Letter preferred = If your response is among the right answers for a particular question yet does not include a letter or has the wrong letter, it will be judged as correct with a +2 "penalty" added to your total.
7) All answers are due by 8 AM Central time on Wednesday, August 22, 2018
8) Submit answers via this Google form or PM

Questions

1. Candy Land - Given the slogan, name one of these candy brands. [Letter preferred]

A. Nobody better lay a finger on my __________
B. Gimme a break
C. At work, rest and play you get three tastes in a ____ ___
D. There's no wrong way to eat a ______
E. You can roll a ____ to your friend
F. Taste the rainbow
G. Only ________ have the answer
H. Don't let hunger happen to you
I. Isn't life juicy
J. Two for me, none for you
K. Makes mouths happy
L. Get the sensation

2. Checkers - During a 1952 speech, Richard Nixon mentioned a dog that his children had named Checkers. Name one of these other famous dogs. [Letter preferred]

Comics
A. Sergeant Snorkel's bulldog in Beetle Bailey
B. The Bumstead's dog in Blondie
C. Jon Arbuckle's dog in Garfield
D. Charlie Brown's beagle in Peanuts

Animated Television
E. The Jetsons' pet
F. Adoptive "parent" of Sherman on the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show
G. Host of Fetch! - who dispensed challenges to real-life contestants
H. Superhero who often spoke in rhymes

Television (Owners listed)
I. The Bundys on Married…with Children (The 1st one, not Lucky)
J. Martin Crane on Frasier
K. Roscoe P. Coltrane on The Dukes of Hazzard
L. The boys on The Brady Bunch

3. Chess - The musical with this title includes the song "One Night in Bangkok" - which reached #3 in 1985. Choose one of these songs and name the musical in which it is included. [Letter preferred]

A. One
B. Send in the Clowns
C. Anything You Can Do
D. Sunrise, Sunset
E. Everything's Coming Up Roses
F. Aquarius
G. I Dreamed a Dream
H. Tea for Two
I. Some Enchanted Evening
J. Getting to Know You
K. Do-Re-Mi
L. I Feel Pretty

4. Clue - The characters in this game have names that match the color of their piece. Name the author of one of these books with a color in its title. [Letter preferred.]

A. A Clockwork Orange
B. The Hunt for Red October
C. The Black Stallion
D. Goldfinger
E. The Scarlet Letter
F. Crimson Tide
G. Harold and the Purple Crayon
H. The Green Mile
I. The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia #4)
J. White Fang
K. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
L. Island of the Blue Dolphins

5. Jenga - In this game, players try not to knock down the tower. Name one of these former professional sport homes that has been demolished. [Letter preferred]

A. This stadium known for windy and cold conditions hosted eight NFC championship games between 1982 and 2012
B. A bus blocked one TV network's camera right as implosion of this building occurred
C. MLB, NFL and NBA teams all called this Pacific Northwest venue home in the late 1970s and early 1980s
D. The only American team to win the Grey Cup played its home games here
E. In a span of seven months in the early 1990s, this building hosted the World Series, Super Bowl and Final Four
F. Much of the movie Black Sunday was filmed during Super Bowl X - which was held in this stadium
G. The MLB single-season attendance record was set in this place known more for its football tenant
H. Besides its hometown team, this building hosted regular season games of the Packers and White Sox
I. Hank Aaron hammered home run #714 (tying Babe Ruth) and Ty Cobb's career hit record fell here
J. This building's hole in the roof was said to be there "so God can watch His favorite team play"
K. This place located at a "confluence" was the site of an "immaculate" 1972 NFL playoff moment
L. Reggie Jackson hit a famous All-Star Game home run high into a light tower at this venue
M. A player tore both patella tendons when his cleats stuck in a seam of the terrible turf at this Philly locale

6. Monopoly - Name a property (in the 'Classic' American version) where you can build houses that does not include the name of a state.

7. Scrabble - Name any letter tile worth 4 points or more.

8. Sorry - Give one of these answers related to being sorry or an apology [Letter preferred]

Music (Name the artist given the title and/or lyric)
[Note: If song has multiple artists (such as Joe Smith ft. DJ K) credited, answers will be grouped together (i.e. not separate scoring for each).
Also, only one artist (in this case, either Joe or the DJ) is necessary to be judged correct.]

A. I'm Sorry (#1, 1960)
B. Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word (#6, 1976)
C. Hard to Say I'm Sorry (#1, 1982)
D. Apologize (#1, 2006)
E. Sorry Not Sorry (#6, 2017)
F. Apology not accepted, add me to the broken hearts you collected (All Cried Out - #8, 1986)
G. Too strong to tell you that I was sorry (1989 song whose title is quite appropriate on a certain autumn weekend)
H. Guess this means you're sorry; You're standing at my door (#1 in 2009 for an artist connected to multiple reality shows)

Other
I. Movie where John Cleese's character says, "I'm really really sorry, I apologize unreservedly."
J. Seinfeld character who says "You can stuff your sorries in a sack, mister"
K. Product known for the line "Sorry, Charlie"
L. 4-word proverb indicating it's wiser to be cautious than hasty and so do something you may later regret

9. The Game of Life - Part of this game involves getting married. Name the current wife of one of these celebrity husbands. [Letter preferred]

A. Jay-Z
B. Justin Timberlake
C. Sacha Baron Cohen
D. Ashton Kutcher
E. Ryan Reynolds
F. Matthew Broderick
G. Kevin Bacon
H. Will Smith
I. John Legend
J. Joe Manganiello
K. Tom Hanks
L. Michael Douglas

10. Uno - The Spanish word for "one". Name one of these other card games described in other words. [Letter preferred]

A. Name for wrestler Mulligan or nickname for 1993 AL Cy Young winner McDowell
B. Structure that carries a highway across a river
C. Ochos locos
D. A homonym for the last name of Brewers' broadcaster Bob - who was also on Mr. Belvedere
E. Contemporary Christian band - or two-word phrase that could send out an angler
F. These artichoke middles are often steamed or used in recipes
G. Never married middle-aged woman
H. Tool used to stir up and tend a fire
I. Laura Branigan Top 10 song (1983)
J. Garden tools used to dig, loosen ground or break up lumps in the soil
K. The rate at which someone or something is able to move or operate
L. This is good for "absolutely nothing" according to an Edwin Starr song

11. Yahtzee - Five dice are used in this game. Give one of these answers related to the number five. [Letter preferred]

Answers that include "Five"
A. Group (with an inaccurate name) that reached the Top 20 with "Brick" in 1998
B. Collective term for Philadephia colleges Drexel, La Salle, St. Joseph's, Temple and Villanova
C. Burger & fry restaurant headquarted in Virginia that was named after a father and his sons
D. Canadian group known for Top 10 1971 hit "Signs"
E. Gesture that occurs when two people raise one hand each and slap palms together

Answers that do not include "Five"
F. The Jays, O's, Rays, Sox and Yanks play in this division
G. These can be remembered by "HOMES"
H. Last name of television family Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie
I. Group that included Baby, Ginger, Posh, Scary and Sporty
J. Guy Fawkes Day falls on the 5th day of this month

No more #5 on the ice for these teams
K. Name an NHL team that has retired #5 for a Hall of Fame player (Toronto for Bill Barilko and St. Louis for Bob Plager are not correct as neither is in HOF.); Any correct answers will be counted together (i.e. Points will not be split by team) [5 correct answers]

12. BONUS #1: Encore - In this game, players need to think of song lyrics of at least eight words in length that include a specific word. Figure out what word goes in each blank A-F and then put them in the proper order at letter G to reveal a "prize".

A. I'd like to feel the passion to the _____ of no return (Expose)
B. She ain't _____ it, the girl ain't ____ it. All this grief that she's been puttin' you through. (Glenn Medeiros)
C. I've done my _____ but commited no crime (Queen)
D. I just love that sound. I'm in the _____ round! (Dr. Dave)
E. And she says baby, it's ___ AM I must be lonely (Matchbox Twenty)
F. I could get up and back, ____ on track; But is ____ on track, is that gonna get you back? (The Breakfast Club)
G. The ____ _______ is _____ a ____ _____ _____ .

13. BONUS #2: Scattergories - A game where players give answers starting with a specific letter for a list of 12 categories. In this quiz, you may choose one of four categories and give answers that start with up to 12 different letters. (One answer per letter.) For each three correct answers, you earn a bonus of (-1) and there is an additional bonus of (-1) for every singleton.

A. First names of Oscar winners for Best Actress

B. Unique MLB/NFL team nicknames (i.e. Names appearing in both leagues do not count.) [49ers are also ruled out.]

C. Last names of US Vice Presidents

D. Single-word states or capitals of single-digit letter length (i.e. 9 letters or less) {Examples of incorrect answers: Des Moines (9 letters, but 2 words), New York (7 letters, 2 words), Washington (1 word, 10 letters), Providence (1 word, 10 letters)}
Last edited by clt013 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 391 - Game Time

Post by CasketRomance »

for number 6...you didn't specify the classic american version...so does that mean any property in the monopoly universe?
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:11 pm for number 6...you didn't specify the classic american version...so does that mean any property in the monopoly universe?
Were you that kid who reminded the teacher that she forgot to assign homework over the weekend? :lol:
clt013

Post by clt013 »

I went back and added the phrase "in the 'Classic' American version" to number 6.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

SenseiCAY wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:43 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:11 pm for number 6...you didn't specify the classic american version...so does that mean any property in the monopoly universe?
Were you that kid who reminded the teacher that she forgot to assign homework over the weekend? :lol:
just checking, because i don't want to be scored negatively
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

How is Q12 (Bonus #1) being scored? -1 for each correct A-F and an additional -1 if G is correct?
clt013

Post by clt013 »

heppm01 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:13 pm How is Q12 (Bonus #1) being scored? -1 for each correct A-F and an additional -1 if G is correct?
Nothing for A-F, while those words in the proper order at G will reveal the "prize".
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Entrant list...
Spoiler
MarkBarrett
SenseiCAY
casketromance
Troydozzy
Kirbstar

Tybalteon
Enormous Jeans
nowhammies10
Gamawire
twelvefootboy

Steppenwolf
Magna
ElendilPickle
Rackme32
bev nar

classicroadster
AFRET CMS
badgerfellow
RJRouge
mennoknight

BigDaddyMatty
heppm01
Peachbox
coach P
floridagator

immaf
merica
clprez
Woof
Ironhorse

econgator
xxaaaxx
threearruda
Vintsanity
9021amyers

morbeedo
spell4yr
Guessonguessonguess
Last edited by clt013 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am, edited 11 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

No penalty for wrong guesses on bonus questions, I assume?
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Magna wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 pm No penalty for wrong guesses on bonus questions, I assume?
Correct.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

For the Scattegories bonus....am I supposed to name as many teams starting with the same letter, or just 12 different starting letters? i.e. if you had asked for NHL teams, would I do:

Blackhawks, Blues, Blue Jackets, Brontosaurus

or would I do

Avalanche, Blues, Flames, Whalers, Jets, etc
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

mennoknight wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 am For the Scattegories bonus....am I supposed to name as many teams starting with the same letter, or just 12 different starting letters? i.e. if you had asked for NHL teams, would I do:

or would I do

Up to 12 different starting letters - like your second example.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Just less than a full week left to enter and unused answers remain for all questions.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

clt013 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 am
mennoknight wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 am For the Scattegories bonus....am I supposed to name as many teams starting with the same letter, or just 12 different starting letters? i.e. if you had asked for NHL teams, would I do:

or would I do

Up to 12 different starting letters - like your second example.
I really hosed this one. I thought I had to find 3 states/capitals that started with the same letter, and I could earn 12 points if there were enough correct answers (I think it's only about 6 or 7 and I got 5 triples). It was just gettable enough to make me do the road trips for every letter. I've now been spoiled by looking at a list (it was addictive). Can I go ahead and PM some sports teams? I might just take my 1 point and fuggedaboutit, it was fun, and that's what counts. :lol:

(edit - I PM'd an alternate reply, still enjoying this one either way. Thank you!)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

While I've already submitted my responses (and didn't choose this bonus option), it might help some other people to ask:

Is this only CURRENT MLB/NFL teams, or can they be from any era? mennoknight's usage of the Whalers brought this up for me.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:40 am While I've already submitted my responses (and didn't choose this bonus option), it might help some other people to ask:

Is this only CURRENT MLB/NFL teams, or can they be from any era? mennoknight's usage of the Whalers brought this up for me.
Current teams only.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

More specifically, I assume current teams AND nicknames? Since by one definition of current teams, the Whalers example could still technically work for NHL, since they still exist, they're just the Hurricanes.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

spell4yr wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:07 am More specifically, I assume current teams AND nicknames? Since by one definition of current teams, the Whalers example could still technically work for NHL, since they still exist, they're just the Hurricanes.
Current teams and nicknames.

I tried to keep this simple, but appear to have failed miserably.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

clt013 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am
RJRouge wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:40 am While I've already submitted my responses (and didn't choose this bonus option), it might help some other people to ask:

Current teams only.
Real nicknames, or nicknames we only made up for purposes of this game? :D
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Pre-weekend bump - and still plenty of answers waiting to be called upon for the first time.