Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 3 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 3 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:23 am Ah, I butchered the Retronym category, some times giving the old word instead of the new word, and some times giving the new thing that triggered the retronym. Should've taken my time and thought it through better.
+1
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I don't know what the intended response was for the batteries clue, but I think "single-use batteries" should be accepted alongside "disposable batteries."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:55 pm I don't know what the intended response was for the batteries clue, but I think "single-use batteries" should be accepted alongside "disposable batteries."
As the author of that question, I support that view :geek:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Just did the first two days in a single sitting (been VERY busy prepping for our "downsizing" move), and I'm disappointed in a poor start with inane responses. Nope, BRUGES won't let me gush until the Belgians decide to spell it with an "H," and wrist watches of course come in digital versions. Sigh.

I hate feeling silly to start off the week. But I am used to it.

And I couldn't pull "Dressed to Kill a Mockingbird." But it's about my favorite answer of SHC so far.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:29 am
heppm01 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:23 am Ah, I butchered the Retronym category, some times giving the old word instead of the new word, and some times giving the new thing that triggered the retronym. Should've taken my time and thought it through better.
+1
+1 - I decided to CLAM all but the classic coke answer. Very retro-clever category in retrospect.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:55 pm I don't know what the intended response was for the batteries clue, but I think "single-use batteries" should be accepted alongside "disposable batteries."
Along similar lines, the 4-pointer seems ambiguous as to whether new Coke or Coke classic was the intended answer. So I put "new Coke (or Coca Cola classic -- not sure which one this question is going for)."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:35 pm
Along similar lines, the 4-pointer seems ambiguous as to whether new Coke or Coke classic was the intended answer. So I put "new Coke (or Coca Cola classic -- not sure which one this question is going for)."
Another "New Coke" response here.
Woof

Post by Woof »

New Coke didn't exist until the marketing campaign of '85, at which point Coke was rebranded as "Coke Classic" after the public outcry. Only one of those names qualifies as a retronym.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Woof wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:20 pm New Coke didn't exist until the marketing campaign of '85, at which point Coke was rebranded as "Coke Classic" after the public outcry. Only one of those names qualifies as a retronym.
Is a corporate rebranding, that's only going forward in effect, truly a retronym?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:20 pm New Coke didn't exist until the marketing campaign of '85, at which point Coke was rebranded as "Coke Classic" after the public outcry. Only one of those names qualifies as a retronym.
Is a corporate rebranding, that's only going forward in effect, truly a retronym?
The way I see it it is, though I'm willing to entertain other views. In 1984, there was Coke and no such thing as Coke Classic; in 1986, the stuff that in 1984 was known as Coke was now known as Coke Classic. That name change was impelled by one factor: the introduction of New Coke.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

I thought the before & afters wanted titles used, but I see a lot of "sister carrie bradshaw", and the description of the category doesn't actually specify titles.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Having seen what the 9-point answer was, I'm grateful I had no idea.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Couldn't pull "disposable", so I went with "non-rechargeable". Judges?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I hope "Old Coke" will be accepted. It's a common unofficial name that's used in books and articles about the marketing debacle.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:57 pm I thought the before & afters wanted titles used, but I see a lot of "sister carrie bradshaw", and the description of the category doesn't actually specify titles.
All I could think was that there might be a TV special or book called "Carrie Bradshaw" so I went for it. I didn't think it could be the prequel series "The Carrie Diaries" because of "The" in the title, and also because in the show she's a high school student, not a columnist.

The "To Kill a Mockingbird" one seemed a little off too (not that I would have gotten the Angie Dickinson movie.) In the book and movie,
Spoiler
Tom Robinson is convicted and later killed. The description makes it sound like he was acquitted.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Loved the pinball question -- glad to see it's making a bit of a comeback as some of the younger generation is finding that physical kinetics have a very different feel from virtual reality and game responses based on computed physics. As part of our downsizing, I recently had to sell the three pinball machines we had in the basement -- 1977 Bally "Eight Ball," 1991 Williams "Diner," and 2006 Stern "Pirates of the Carribbean." Darn.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yay, I'm 5/5 getting the Arcade questions right as well as 5/5 paying money in public to play pinball, Skee-Ball, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man & seeing Waterworld in a theater.

I was 11 years old in 6th grade when Jerry Brown became governor and now I'm 54 and he's still governor. [Too early for the Current Events thread: Gavin Newsom will be the next gov. of CA.]
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:19 pm Loved the pinball question -- glad to see it's making a bit of a comeback as some of the younger generation is finding that physical kinetics have a very different feel from virtual reality and game responses based on computed physics. As part of our downsizing, I recently had to sell the three pinball machines we had in the basement -- 1977 Bally "Eight Ball," 1991 Williams "Diner," and 2006 Stern "Pirates of the Carribbean." Darn.
Much of my formative years was shaped by the Addams Family pinball machine inside my town’s roller rink.
Woof

Post by Woof »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:19 pm Loved the pinball question -- glad to see it's making a bit of a comeback as some of the younger generation is finding that physical kinetics have a very different feel from virtual reality and game responses based on computed physics. As part of our downsizing, I recently had to sell the three pinball machines we had in the basement -- 1977 Bally "Eight Ball," 1991 Williams "Diner," and 2006 Stern "Pirates of the Carribbean." Darn.
I am also gratified to see the resurgence of pinball. It’s become a go-to activity for my 13 year old son and me. And I still have the 1975 Bally Fireball game at my house.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Magna wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 pm In the book and movie,
Spoiler
Tom Robinson is convicted and later killed. The description makes it sound like he was acquitted.
Spoiler
The word "exonerate" has a specific meaning (in the line of vindication) that was more critical to the plot of the novel. The reader has to understand that Robinson was innocent, even though he was convicted. That's a big part of why the novel was so powerful. Rape accusation and Alabama, I think, and maybe I'm wrong, should be a fair pointer directly to TKAM.