Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 3 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 3 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by Magna »

For the R3D5 6-pointer, it looks like most people are answering "strep" or "strep throat". I agree those fit the clue, but I said scarlet fever (a complication of strep throat) which also fits the clue. Scarlet fever (aka scarletina) is a bacterial infection that involves a sore throat, and can lead to acute rheumatic fever. Just wanted to mention it to avoid getting negged.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_fever
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:36 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:19 pm Loved the pinball question -- glad to see it's making a bit of a comeback as some of the younger generation is finding that physical kinetics have a very different feel from virtual reality and game responses based on computed physics. As part of our downsizing, I recently had to sell the three pinball machines we had in the basement -- 1977 Bally "Eight Ball," 1991 Williams "Diner," and 2006 Stern "Pirates of the Carribbean." Darn.
Much of my formative years was shaped by the Addams Family pinball machine inside my town’s roller rink.
Bit of pinball trivia: Eight Ball had been the most produced machine in history, until the second run of production for Addams Family. It still holds the record. It's also very collectible and pretty expensive in fully restored condition.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm I can't say that I've ever heard of the word "midden" before; I'll file it under "learn something new every day." I don't even really know in what context it would come up - a form of archaeology?
Heard it, but couldn't pull it from the depths of my own cerebral midden. Would have entered "olD Dump" just be a smart alec, but didn't want to lose the points just being silly.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Magna wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:16 pm For the R3D5 6-pointer, it looks like most people are answering "strep" or "strep throat". I agree those fit the clue, but I said scarlet fever (a complication of strep throat) which also fits the clue. Scarlet fever (aka scarletina) is a bacterial infection that involves a sore throat, and can lead to acute rheumatic fever. Just wanted to mention it to avoid getting negged.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_fever
As a science trivia nerd, Scarlet Fever is cooler than that: it is what happens when the bacteria causing Strep throat is itself infected by a virus ( a bacteriophage) changing its dna and releasing an extra toxin that the un-infected bacteria don't release. I was actually able to diagnose it in my daughter by typing her symptoms into google, despite never having seen the disease before - the only time I've ever done that.

According to the following page, scarlet fever can also lead to rheumatic fever, so I agree that it should be counted as correct. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20354588
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

BTW, am I the only one who got the R3 D5 12-pointer in large part because S22 J! contestant Alaric Smith used to post on the old J! board under a handle that was something like "The last visigoth" (which helped burn the "Alaric - Visigoth" association into my brain)?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:05 pm BTW, am I the only one who got the R3 D5 12-pointer in large part because S22 J! contestant Alaric Smith used to post on the old J! board under a handle that was something like "The last visigoth" (which helped burn the "Alaric - Visigoth" association into my brain)?
It certainly didn't hurt my get of that question, either.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

immaf wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:02 am Singer is major negbait for the 6-pointer in "Tributes". He didn't die until 1875. Howe died in 1867. But since the correct answer hinges on people knowing those dates, this is much too hard for a 6-point question. I think you ought to consider a replacement question. (Although, since I got it right, I'll still get the points, yes?)
Sorry, no. To those of us of a certain age, we learned of Elias Howe on Schoolhouse Rock. Singer was just a manufacturer who simplified some processes, but Howe was the inventor.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

DBear wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:31 pm
immaf wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:02 am Singer is major negbait for the 6-pointer in "Tributes". He didn't die until 1875. Howe died in 1867. But since the correct answer hinges on people knowing those dates, this is much too hard for a 6-point question. I think you ought to consider a replacement question. (Although, since I got it right, I'll still get the points, yes?)
Sorry, no. To those of us of a certain age, we learned of Elias Howe on Schoolhouse Rock. Singer was just a manufacturer who simplified some processes, but Howe was the inventor.
Schoolhouse Rock didn't have the benefit of Wikipedia, though. :) (Howe wasn't actually the inventor, either. He was an inventor, but not the only one.)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Magna wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:39 pm
Schoolhouse Rock didn't have the benefit of Wikipedia, though. :) (Howe wasn't actually the inventor, either. He was an inventor, but not the only one.)
My two cents is you shouldn't get credit for Singer just because you know that is a brand of machines (I can't name another one). Did you also know he was a co-inventor and all the gory details mentioned earlier here? Then why would you pick him unless you knew it fit the category which was "Tributes". For six points, you pays your money and takes your chances on a WAG. :lol: . No crying in SHC! (coming from the guy in last place!)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:34 pm
Magna wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:39 pm
My two cents is you shouldn't get credit for Singer just because you know that is a brand of machines (I can't name another one). Did you also know he was a co-inventor and all the gory details mentioned earlier here? Then why would you pick him unless you knew it fit the category which was "Tributes". For six points, you pays your money and takes your chances on a WAG. :lol: . No crying in SHC! (coming from the guy in last place!)
You're saying Isaac Bashevis Singer didn't invent the sewing machine? :lol:

But seriously, folks, I did know Singer was an inventor of the sewing machine, and that its invention is disputed. :)

ETA: This is all just academic, I think. And all in fun, I hope. :) The writer of the question has already called for a RQ.
Last edited by Magna on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Stopped reading three words into R3D6 12-pointer.

Also forgot the category.

:roll:
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Slumdog Millionaire moment: I caretake a couple nature preserves that used to be farms in the 19th century. Occasionally I stumble across the farmers' old garbage dumps, and that's how the word midden stays active in my mind.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Forgot about Sapporo. Didn't even think before typing "Nagano."
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Olympia was a WAG, but I couldn't see 22 cities outranking the capitals of ND, MT or ID.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

DBear wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:14 pm Olympia was a WAG, but I couldn't see 22 cities outranking the capitals of ND, MT or ID.
I need to look at a map - I didn't give up on the Northeast but likewise knew it couldn't be Portland, and wasn't sure about placement of Montpelier or Manchester(?) relative to Portland. And, 22 cities in Washington seems like a stretch too! Great clue!

edit - yah, augusta :oops: . just saw econgator's post.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:14 pm Olympia was a WAG, but I couldn't see 22 cities outranking the capitals of ND, MT or ID.
I see quite a few Augusta's in there, too (and that likely would have been my guess). Fun fact: Maine only has 23 total cities in it, of which Augusta is the 3rd most-populous.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Second guessed myself on Sapporo, forgot to RTFQ on the state capital. Not my best day by a long shot.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Coincidentally enough, the fact that Olympia isn't in the top 20 cities (by population) in its state was featured on Sporcle earlier. Sporcle's HQ is in Seattle and they were embarrassed about not knowing it.
CoachP wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:37 pm Second guessed myself on Sapporo, forgot to RTFQ on the state capital. Not my best day by a long shot.
I second guessed myself too. I knew that winter Olympics had been scheduled for Sapporo before, but cancelled.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

It's only points, so I don't want to make too big a deal about it, but it looks like something might have gone wrong with the scoring on Round 3 Day 6. I've been credited with 69 points, but I think that should be 73 points. The only question I missed was the 4 pointer in "A Capital Idea". That should have been a 2 point penalty. Where did I lose 4 more points?
Thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Foretopman wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 pm It's only points, so I don't want to make too big a deal about it, but it looks like something might have gone wrong with the scoring on Round 3 Day 6. I've been credited with 69 points, but I think that should be 73 points. The only question I missed was the 4 pointer in "A Capital Idea". That should have been a 2 point penalty. Where did I lose 4 more points?
Thanks.
Instead of gaining four points, you lost two points for a total of six points away from the perfecto of 75.