Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 3 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 3 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

D'oh!
rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 3 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by rjaguar3 »

On the Howe/Singer clue from R3D5.

In the four years that I've been involved in hosting the SHC, this is the most difficult decision I've ever had to make. I want to thank everyone who participated in the discussion here in Instant Replay thread, as well as Clue Jungry (the clue author) and the editing team, for their valuable feedback, which I have carefully considered.

In hindsight, the clue could have been better written to exclude Singer as a potential response. I'm sure that the writer did not intend for a second-row clue to have such a nasty surprise. The possibility of Singer as a potential response also did not occur to myself and the editing team. We regret the oversight.

Nonetheless, the clue is factually correct and Howe is the only correct answer that fits both the death date and being the subject of a tribute in Help!. Further, regardless of one's views on the sewing machine invention controversy, Howe can accurately be described as "this sewing machine inventor". Indeed, the film itself states: "This film is respectfully dedicated to the memory of Mr. Elias Howe, who, in 1846, invented the sewing machine." The show itself has referred to Howe as "this sewing machine inventor".

Replacement questions for questions with a "fatal flaw" have been used when the question has a clear factual error, is so poorly worded as to mislead players as to what kind of answer is being sought, or stumps the field. I recognize the arguments about the unfairness of an 8-point swing on what appears to have been to many players a coin flip. Nonetheless, this must be balanced against the unfairness that would result from a replacement question to the players who did demonstrate knowledge. I view unfortunate incidents like these as a rub-of-the-green.

So, in all, I've decided not to have a replacement question. Again, I apologize for the question and endeavor to avoid a recurrence. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the SHC.