Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 3 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 3 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by xxaaaxx »

Ah arcade games...so much time and money spent. A nice set bookended by questions about my neck of the woods. Though I'll have to look up why on earth La Guardia tried to ban pinball...
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:26 pm ...paying money in public to play pinball, Skee-Ball, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man & seeing Waterworld in a theater.
...why??? :)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Correct answers are up for R2.D5, R2.D6, and R3, D1...

but not for R2-D4. What's up?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:16 pm
Magna wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 pm In the book and movie,
Spoiler
Tom Robinson is convicted and later killed. The description makes it sound like he was acquitted.
Spoiler
The word "exonerate" has a specific meaning (in the line of vindication) that was more critical to the plot of the novel. The reader has to understand that Robinson was innocent, even though he was convicted. That's a big part of why the novel was so powerful. Rape accusation and Alabama, I think, and maybe I'm wrong, should be a fair pointer directly to TKAM.
In the context of criminal law, it has a different meaning - it usually refers to some kind of official declaration of innocence, resulting in someone being freed (or allowed to remain free). What happened in the book and novel was the inverse: everyone knew he was innocent, but he was officially declared guilty and locked up. But, as I said, I wouldn't have gotten this one anyway.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

John Boy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:22 pm Correct answers are up for R2.D5, R2.D6, and R3, D1...

Rjaguar was in an accident on the weekend... Patience please!

Hope you are on the mend!
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

John Boy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:22 pm Correct answers are up for R2.D5, R2.D6, and R3, D1...

I simply forgot about that day. Thanks for pointing that out; the answers should now be up.
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

boson wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Rjaguar was in an accident on the weekend... Patience please!

Hope you are on the mend!
Just talked to the doctor today; the injury doesn't appear to be too serious, and I should be back to normal in the next few weeks. I'm already feeling a lot better.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:36 pm Much of my formative years was shaped by the Addams Family pinball machine inside my town’s roller rink.
This is by far my favorite table of all time. In the past few years, I've been introduced to several I missed (be it by age or lack of market share) via virtual consoles and the Pinball Expo in the Chicago suburbs.

I had so much commentary I wanted to give on my answers today, not the least of which being that those of us who follow such things have known Billy Mitchell to be a cheater for years and are very gratified seeing him lose his "world record" score.

I clammed hard on the 12-point governor question. It was infuriating to remember what state he was governor of but completely blank on his name.

The 15-pointer, though, I remembered because Governor Whitman was one of the people present for a grand prize drawing at a mid-90s WWF pay-per-view. One of those few times being a wrestling fan pays off outside of fan circles.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In a small sample of responses it looks like the American Artists went through the SHC valuator with the assigned points not quite matching the player results of difficulty order.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:52 am In a small sample of responses it looks like the American Artists went through the SHC valuator with the assigned points not quite matching the player results of difficulty order.
Without really having looked at anyone else's responses, I felt Maya Lin is so canonical in J! and in trivia generally that she should have been valued at way less than 15
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I don't know. While I did remember her name, it took me a few seconds more than the snap responses for the other three artists I got. I'd have probably just switched the 12 and 15.

But such is the pitfall when it comes to assigning point values, I would assume. It's difficult to discern ahead of time how easily other people are going to get the things you know.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I can't say that I've ever heard of the word "midden" before; I'll file it under "learn something new every day." I don't even really know in what context it would come up - a form of archaeology?
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm I can't say that I've ever heard of the word "midden" before; I'll file it under "learn something new every day." I don't even really know in what context it would come up - a form of archaeology?
It came up on Jeopardy in Season 30. Date: May 6, 2014. Category: Yucky History. Double Jeopardy, $1,600. Clue: "Past cultures give up their secrets in the mounds of prehistoric garbage called "kitchen" these".

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4493
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:55 pm I don't know what the intended response was for the batteries clue, but I think "single-use batteries" should be accepted alongside "disposable batteries."
I can't say that I've ever heard "old" batteries (non-rechargeable) spoken of as "disposable" or anything else that fits the "Retronym" category. We DO talk about snail mail, land line, manual transmission, etc., but not that one.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:12 pm I don't know. While I did remember her name, it took me a few seconds more than the snap responses for the other three artists I got. I'd have probably just switched the 12 and 15.

But such is the pitfall when it comes to assigning point values, I would assume. It's difficult to discern ahead of time how easily other people are going to get the things you know.
I worried that I had confused I.M. Pei and Maya Lin, and thought it might be valued highly as a negbait trap. But I'm glad to know Lin is famous enough to be a Pavlov because that wall is the single most inspiring, goosebump inducing work of art I've ever seen or will ever see. If you can see only one thing in DC, that is my top pick. Fifteen points for everyone - hell ya!

I laid off the Warhol WAG because I wasn't sure he ever did a film thing and there might be some B-list celebrity that did.
I would have picked "detritus" for the archaeological refuse, if not for the "DD" category. NHO middens.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I was trying to figure out why I confused coddled and addled. Both fit the category, but "addled" doesn't make much sense. I traced it back to a quote from Prince Caspian that must've stuck in my mind:
"To speak plainly," said Nikabrik, "your wallet's empty, your eggs addled, your fish uncaught, your promises broken."
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Singer is major negbait for the 6-pointer in "Tributes". He didn't die until 1875. Howe died in 1867. But since the correct answer hinges on people knowing those dates, this is much too hard for a 6-point question. I think you ought to consider a replacement question. (Although, since I got it right, I'll still get the points, yes?)
Last edited by immaf on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teems with quiet fun.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

immaf wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:02 am Singer is major negbait for the 6-pointer in "Tributes". He didn't die until 1875. Howe died in 1867. But since the correct answer hinges on people knowing those dates, this is much too hard for a 6-point question. I think you ought to consider a replacement question. (Although, since I got it right, I'll still get the points, yes?)
I know howe I got it right:
Spoiler
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

immaf wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:02 am Singer is major negbait for the 6-pointer in "Tributes". He didn't die until 1875. Howe died in 1867. But since the correct answer hinges on people knowing those dates, this is much too hard for a 6-point question. I think you ought to consider a replacement question. (Although, since I got it right, I'll still get the points, yes?)
I would add that according to wikipedia, Howe and Singer are just 2 of several 18th and 19th century people who are given some credit as sewing machine inventors. For example, "In 1790, the English inventor Thomas Saint invented the first sewing machine design, but he did not successfully advertise or market his invention." And "The first practical and widely used sewing machine was invented by Barthélemy Thimonnier, a French tailor, in 1829." And "The first machine to combine all the disparate elements of the previous half-century of innovation into the modern sewing machine was the device built by English inventor John Fisher in 1844, thus a little earlier than the very similar machines built by Isaac Merritt Singer in 1851, and the lesser known Elias Howe, in 1845. However, due to the botched filing of Fisher's patent at the Patent Office, he did not receive due recognition for the modern sewing machine in the legal disputations of priority with Singer, and it was Singer who won the benefits of the patent."

So, yeah, referring to "this sewing machine inventor" IMO is too vague. While technically the question is pinned due to the 1867 death date and mention of the movie, I feel that due to the profusion of sewing machine inventors, many of whom were active in a time period that would have been consistent with an 1867 demise, an RQ is warranted.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Clue Jungry »

So, yeah, referring to "this sewing machine inventor" IMO is too vague. While technically the question is pinned due to the 1867 death date and mention of the movie, I feel that due to the profusion of sewing machine inventors, many of whom were active in a time period that would have been consistent with an 1867 demise, an RQ is warranted.
Totally agree. I've already reached out to see if an RQ can be used.

Signed,

The Question Writer
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Although a question is more difficult than what might normally be expected based on the clue's point value, this is hardly a reason for a replacement clue. Either the movie is dedicated to Singer, or it is not. (It's not.) None of the specifics offered by the clue are factually incorrect. Therefore, a replacement question makes no sense in this instance.