LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by jjwaymee »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:41 pm I might be on my way to making weird LL history. After eight matches, my record is 1 win, 1 loss, and 6 ties--including a 9(6)-9(6) tie.
I'm just the opposite. I have an active streak of 45 consecutive matches without a tie.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:26 am Accepting "qi" has got to be one of the worst calls I've seen.
Down there with "appeasement" for Sudetenland.

Another tough week (as weeks tend to be), but I was happy to get Robert Plant simply from remembering "Now and Zen" as a title in Columbia Record Club ads. We threed each other but both got it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:29 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:26 am Accepting "qi" has got to be one of the worst calls I've seen.
And, while I'm thinking about it, accepting anything other than The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. It's a title; it's either exactly right or completely wrong.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:07 pm
And, while I'm thinking about it, accepting anything other than The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. It's a title; it's either exactly right or completely wrong.
I agree on those. Maybe accepting appeasement, but that was a bit of a stretch. Had he wanted that, he would have asked what the policy came to be called.

But the other two are flat out ridiculous. Would he take “Bob & Ted & Carol & Alice”? And he clearly wasn’t asking for the most played word. And how would they know anyway?

I said double and kicked myself when I saw the answer. I was glad to get credit, but it would not have changed the outcome even if I had been marked wrong.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Congratulations on the beer, boson! I've lost to boardies on consecutive days now, thanks to jfrumkin, too.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

patkav wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:00 pm Congratulations on the beer, boson! I've lost to boardies on consecutive days now, thanks to jfrumkin, too.
Thanks! A lucky one - I knew nothing at first glance, and violin was a guess.

Hope your season turns around soon - you aren't in your customary spot challenging for the lead!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:07 pm
With defense being such a crucial part of LL, it occurs to me that it's really difficult to defend when you don't know how strict or lenient rulings will be. (Or if the question will be changed during the match day, or if essentially the same question will appear on the same match day in two simultaneous ML's...)

Similarly, it's difficult to money in One-Days if you're not sure that all of the questions have an answer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed stoma despite the fact I had one for six weeks earlier this year.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:51 pm I missed stoma despite the fact I had one for six weeks earlier this year.
Ouch and ouch on both accounts. I hope that you have recovered well from your surgery, and that better things come your way.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

cmp146 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:06 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:51 pm I missed stoma despite the fact I had one for six weeks earlier this year.
Ouch and ouch on both accounts. I hope that you have recovered well from your surgery, and that better things come your way.
Thank you. I am doing better, though the recovery has been a struggle. On the bright side, I still won the match with the stoma question.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I didn't catch the autocorrect on my phone this time. I accidentally put "Baller" and Gates. Hey, he owns the Clippers, is that really inaccurate?

At least it didn't cost me the match. But after a roaring start to the he season, I've been doing terribly ever since. Going from first place after day 2 to 1 point above last in a matter of days is almost impressive.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ouachiouat wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 am I didn't catch the autocorrect on my phone this time. I accidentally put "Baller" and Gates. Hey, he owns the Clippers, is that really inaccurate?

At least it didn't cost me the match. But after a roaring start to the he season, I've been doing terribly ever since. Going from first place after day 2 to 1 point above last in a matter of days is almost impressive.
I bet a lot more people said 'Baller' than you if you got credit for it :lol:

This season is going to be one long scramble out of the pit...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

ouachiouat wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 am I didn't catch the autocorrect on my phone this time. I accidentally put "Baller" and Gates. Hey, he owns the Clippers, is that really inaccurate?

At least you didn't spell the answer as "Brin and Page."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ElendilPickle wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:59 am

Great minds think alike!

I switched from apple (ceci n'est pas une pomme) to pipe (ceci n'est pas une pipe), but lost anyway :?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I also thought it was Brin and Page.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Congrats to alietr for your 9(6) victory against me yesterday.

I am having the stuffing kicked out of me this season. My 55 TAA is second worst in A Magnolia, and I am in the relegation zone. <sigh>
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

ElendilPickle wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:59 am

My first thought was actually "The Google guys," but I blanked on their names. So I went with Microsoft, since I knew both of their names. If I had been able to come up with Brin and Page, I would've joined you (and the others who have posted similarly).
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I was pretty mad at myself for not getting Long March, going with Long Retreat, as I recently read The Coldest Winter. Wouldn't have mattered since I played the only person in our rundle to get more than 3 questions right in a 1(2) - 6(5) loss.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm surprised more people didn't get the art question (salon)

Lost Horizon and Long March are facts I learned somewhat recently. Four correct answers, that was just good enough for the tie 7(4)-7(5)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

J! has had enough clues about the sizes that I knew where to go with the bottles question. My problem was doubting whether my answer of "champagne" was enough as this teetotaler did not have the common sense to add bottles. When I submitted and saw the answer only had "wine" with (bottles) and nothing about champagne I had to wait to sweat out the judging. No problem as I got it correct and my 6(5)-2(3) victory had room to spare.