LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

badgerfellow wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:08 am Requoting to say that yesterday blew those days out of the water in terms of difficulty.
Funny, I’ve really been struggling this season, but Monday was one of the days where I felt the beer was in reach, yet ended up with just 4 right because I thought Fort Knox was in TN and assumed Thorsten wouldn’t be asking about Haydn again so soon. Luckily won 7(4)-6(4) and jumped out of the relegation zone (for now)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm
Ah I see and I would agree. Thursday was brutal for my A Rundle; we barely got above 50% for that day. Over all rundles, 3 of the 4 hardest days of the season occurred last week (Thursday was 1, Monday was 2, Friday was 4).

Stats here: https://learnedleague.com/allrundles.php?78&19
Is there a way to click through to that page, or do you have to bookmark it? I've never seen that before (and it's amazing how many stats Thorsten does have on the website).

And yeah, yesterday was the hardest day yet, bumping last Thursday's to second hardest.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:16 am
badgerfellow wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:08 am Requoting to say that yesterday blew those days out of the water in terms of difficulty.
Funny, I’ve really been struggling this season, but Monday was one of the days where I felt the beer was in reach, yet ended up with just 4 right because I thought Fort Knox was in TN
Fort Knox is in KY, but Knoxville is in TN, so that led me astray. Cumberland, I guess, should have tipped the scales in favor of Kentucky, but I know I've seen Tennessee license plates from Knox County, so I ended up going with the Kosman Koin on that one.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am
Funny, I’ve really been struggling this season, but Monday was one of the days where I felt the beer was in reach, yet ended up with just 4 right because I thought Fort Knox was in TN
Fort Knox is in KY, but Knoxville is in TN, so that led me astray. Cumberland, I guess, should have tipped the scales in favor of Kentucky, but I know I've seen Tennessee license plates from Knox County, so I ended up going with the Kosman Koin on that one.
Bulleit was my scale tipper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulleit_Bourbon
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am
Ah I see and I would agree. Thursday was brutal for my A Rundle; we barely got above 50% for that day. Over all rundles, 3 of the 4 hardest days of the season occurred last week (Thursday was 1, Monday was 2, Friday was 4).

Is there a way to click through to that page, or do you have to bookmark it? I've never seen that before (and it's amazing how many stats Thorsten does have on the website).

And yeah, yesterday was the hardest day yet, bumping last Thursday's to second hardest.
Yes, I was flirting with that "no comments about current match day" rule when I wrote that first comment, but kept it vague enough for plausible deniability. On a typical match day, I can expect 1-2 gimmes that require no thought at all, another 2-4 that are gettable with some reasoning and/or rummaging in the far reaches of my memory and 1 that will be hella obscure. On Monday, only Kentucky was a gimme and everything else was a guess. Fortunately, two of those guesses worked out, giving me some defensive victories. Der Steppenwolf was the most frustrating of the lot. Usually, LL literature questions aren't too bad, but I couldn't figure out an animal title from 1927. My problem was placing Hesse in the '40s and '50s rather than so early (that, and having read every other Hesse novel except the one in question).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 am
Glad that worked, but of course that's a lucky hint since the county is spelled differently than the bourbon and the distillery isn't even in Bullitt County.

Turns out four out of five listed counties are in BOTH Tennessee and Kentucky.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 am
Volante wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 am Bulleit was my scale tipper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulleit_Bourbon
Glad that worked, but of course that's a lucky hint since the county is spelled differently than the bourbon and the distillery isn't even in Bullitt County.

A little ignorance is a wonderful thing. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I thought Kentucky (Knox) would have been a gimme for most players, not realizing that there was so much overlap with Tennessee counties. Last week I saw a blog comment wondering why some states have so many counties, specifically noting Kentucky's 120. (Note: Texas has the most, I think 254.)

Having 2 or more accounting classes somewhere in one's history would probably seal "cash/accrual." (I've had many more accounting classes than that, but I still don't get most real world applications. :? )

Good things to remember about symphonies: Haydn composed a whole lot of 'em, Mozart 41, and all others of note a whole lot less. When in doubt about any other composer, guess either 4 or 9.

Steppenwolf is one of those novels I've had on my bookshelf for decades, but never once cracked open. (Back to the days when I would raid used booksellers for their 10-25 cent books. Now it's more like $2+ each, so no thank you.) I suppose it doesn't pay now to crack it open now.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

The Bulleit stop on the Bourbon Trail isn't too far from Bullitt County at least, about 10-15 minutes from the Jefferson-Bullitt county line.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Funny, I’ve really been struggling this season, but Monday was one of the days where I felt the beer was in reach, yet ended up with just 4 right because I thought Fort Knox was in TN and assumed Thorsten wouldn’t be asking about Haydn again so soon. Luckily won 7(4)-6(4) and jumped out of the relegation zone (for now)
And Fort Knox isn't even in Knox County. It's primarily in Hardin, but also stretches into Meade and...Bullitt.

If it wasn't for the fact I've been in 3 of those 5 counties (and residing in one of them), this would have been a tad harder. Alas, about as Instaget as it could be.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am

I've also clicked through to get it. From the homepage, click on "LL78 Standings/Home" in the upper ribbon. Below the stats for each Rundle in your league is a link saying "All LL78 Rundles." This will then show get rates for all leagues and rundles, as well as the overall stats for each day. This is also where you can download intricate player stats for everyone in LL; It's the link below daily stats called "All Players >> (.csv)."
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Brutal day yesterday.

I was lucky to get 4 - I said "Milne" for the two-movie Christopher Robin question. I was thinking of A.A. - not his son, so another point proving you should just give the last name if permitted. It wasn't enough though, as my opponent got 5 and correctly knew I would miss the accounting question.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

boson wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:17 pm Brutal day yesterday.

I was lucky to get 4 - I said "Milne" for the two-movie Christopher Robin question. I was thinking of A.A. - not his son, so another point proving you should just give the last name if permitted.
Ewan McGregor's character's last name was Robin in the 2018 film. But I found the question itself problematic for this reason, and since the question has a premise of the real-life and fictional characters having the same name, either surname ought to have been accepted.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:57 pm
boson wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:17 pm Brutal day yesterday.

I was lucky to get 4 - I said "Milne" for the two-movie Christopher Robin question. I was thinking of A.A. - not his son, so another point proving you should just give the last name if permitted.
Ewan McGregor's character's last name was Robin in the 2018 film. But I found the question itself problematic for this reason, and since the question has a premise of the real-life and fictional characters having the same name, either surname ought to have been accepted.
I said "Christopher Robin Milne" and it was accepted.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

badgerfellow wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 am The Bulleit stop on the Bourbon Trail isn't too far from Bullitt County at least, about 10-15 minutes from the Jefferson-Bullitt county line.
We made several stops on the Bourbon Trail before/after visiting my wife's relatives in Shepherdsville, Kentucky. That is the county seat of Bullitt County.

Our favorte stop, which may or may not be on the trail, was Buffalo Trace, which is outside the state capital, Frankfort.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:17 pm I said "Christopher Robin Milne" and it was accepted.
Good think you didn't answer "Christopher Robin Yount" or "Christopher Robin Leach".
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:33 pm
badgerfellow wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:35 am The Bulleit stop on the Bourbon Trail isn't too far from Bullitt County at least, about 10-15 minutes from the Jefferson-Bullitt county line.
We made several stops on the Bourbon Trail before/after visiting my wife's relatives in Shepherdsville, Kentucky. That is the county seat of Bullitt County.

Our favorte stop, which may or may not be on the trail, is Buffalo Trace, which is outside the state capital, Frankfort.
Not on the trail, but I agree, it's a great facility. One contestant mentioned Buffalo Trace implicitly this week:
Spoiler
Reese mentioned having tried Pappy Van Winkle, which is distilled by Buffalo Trace. Good stuff.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

badgerfellow wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:38 pm
Not on the trail, but I agree, it's a great facility. One contestant mentioned Buffalo Trace implicitly this week:
Spoiler
Reese mentioned having tried Pappy Van Winkle, which is distilled by Buffalo Trace. Good stuff.
At the end of the tour we took, distillery workers were busy pasting labels on the bourbon mentioned in the spoiler. Guess what? It wasn't cheap.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

For the British director with the illustrious career, Charlie Chaplin was the MCW? Good guess or bad guess?
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:33 am For the British director with the illustrious career, Charlie Chaplin was the MCW? Good guess or bad guess?
My guess!