LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion »

sarisson wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:54 pm After 12 non-rookie seasons, I finally finished in the promotion zone! That means, assuming none of us get moved, I will get to face boardies BoK, BigDaddyMatty, and Blue Lion (that's a lot of B's) next season.
What do you call where the trivia ocean meets the trivia sky? A Horizon.
Welcome to A! Look forward to playing against you next season.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am I recently learned that I ranked 40th among "luckiest LLamas" of LL78. This helps explain why, after 18 seasons in A Rundles, I finally managed to win one. By any measure, this was one of my weaker offensive seasons, though I did have an above average defensive season. In fact, it looks statistically identical to LL76 where I finished in 5th place. Regardless, I'll now get to take my lumps in the LL Championship, where I will be very fortunate indeed to finish above the cut line.
As you well know, it's an honor just to qualify.

After MD8 I had missed just six questions and was contending for whatever the high scorer's award is called. I knew better than to tempt the trivia gods by posting, not that my silence helped. That uncanny opening run, which got me only as high as 7th, was followed by a brutal, eight-day, 0-6-2 regression to the mean that left me in 22nd. Even going a respectable 4-5 in my last nine matches, including a rare win over bomtr, left me in 23rd. I did just barely manage to keep my DE over .700 for the season, always a point of pride.

Those A rundles are vicious, and A Cont isn't even a very strong one these days, but I fight like mad each season to stay here. Huge congrats on the win, Mark, and best of luck.
In and out of the pool four times
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am I recently learned that I ranked 40th among "luckiest LLamas" of LL78. This helps explain why, after 18 seasons in A Rundles, I finally managed to win one. By any measure, this was one of my weaker offensive seasons, though I did have an above average defensive season. In fact, it looks statistically identical to LL76 where I finished in 5th place. Regardless, I'll now get to take my lumps in the LL Championship, where I will be very fortunate indeed to finish above the cut line.
Please can we let the tradition die where people brag in advance about how terribly they're going to do in the championship? Yes you can score 120-130 nearly every season for the last five years and you're over .700 lifetime in 17 out of 18 categories, but now that someone is watching you're going to be terrible. Yes, we get it. It's not cute or funny or amusingly self-deprecating when the championship is literally half filled with people who lose half of their knowledge when someone is watching. Just one more person making a mockery of the game. If you're good enough to win an A Rundle legitimately, then go to the championship and put on a representative performance. If you're full of shit, then please leave the league. (Note that last part is not specifically for Woof but for everyone. Thank you.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Submissions officially close for the Country Anagrams 1DS in just over six and a half hours from the time of this post. If you like wordplay, I highly recommend it. (This is from someone who fell out of the habit of looking at the LL site during the off days, and only heard about it in face-to-face conversation on Sunday. I would have regretted missing it.)
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I loved that 1DS...but probably should've read the instructions more carefully before I hit submit.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am Submissions officially close for the Country Anagrams 1DS in just over six and a half hours from the time of this post. If you like wordplay, I highly recommend it. (This is from someone who fell out of the habit of looking at the LL site during the off days, and only heard about it in face-to-face conversation on Sunday. I would have regretted missing it.)
That was a good 1DS to ponder while waiting at the DMV
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Damsel (7), WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:08 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am Submissions officially close for the Country Anagrams 1DS in just over six and a half hours from the time of this post. If you like wordplay, I highly recommend it. (This is from someone who fell out of the habit of looking at the LL site during the off days, and only heard about it in face-to-face conversation on Sunday. I would have regretted missing it.)
I pondered that 1DS as I spent 14 hours in transit doing a positively insane 23-hour round trip journey to SF to speak at a memorial service. It certainly was a good way to pass the time.
Woof

Post by Woof »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 am
Please can we let the tradition die where people brag in advance about how terribly they're going to do in the championship? Yes you can score 120-130 nearly every season for the last five years and you're over .700 lifetime in 17 out of 18 categories, but now that someone is watching you're going to be terrible. Yes, we get it. It's not cute or funny or amusingly self-deprecating when the championship is literally half filled with people who lose half of their knowledge when someone is watching. Just one more person making a mockery of the game. If you're good enough to win an A Rundle legitimately, then go to the championship and put on a representative performance. If you're full of shit, then please leave the league. (Note that last part is not specifically for Woof but for everyone. Thank you.)
Good grief, Jeff. You read all that into my honest assessment that it'll take some luck to finish in the upper half of that field? When people like bomtr and TomKBaltimoreBoy, both of whom I have a career losing record to in LL, cannot achieve such a feat in the last Championship, I don't think that it's false modesty to not be too optimistic about my own chances. Regardless, in deference to your sensibilities, I'll not comment on it again here.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:26 am
Volante wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:08 am
I pondered that 1DS as I spent 14 hours in transit doing a positively insane 23-hour round trip journey to SF to speak at a memorial service. It certainly was a good way to pass the time.
Thanks for the reminder. Just spent about 90 min on this with no standing break :shock:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm
Good grief, Jeff. You read all that into my honest assessment that it'll take some luck to finish in the upper half of that field? When people like bomtr and TomKBaltimoreBoy, both of whom I have a career losing record to in LL, cannot achieve such a feat in the last Championship, I don't think that it's false modesty to not be too optimistic about my own chances. Regardless, in deference to your sensibilities, I'll not comment on it again here.
Yes, TomK is the greatest player on the site until someone is watching, when he becomes shockingly mediocre. If that’s who you’ve been aspiring to, you should really choose better role models.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Interesting that two of the weekend's 1DSs are graded and posted as of 3:30 Eastern, but not the anagram one.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:35 pm Interesting that two of the weekend's 1DSs are graded and posted as of 3:30 Eastern, but not the anagram one.
Graded now. I got 7 right because I made 2 silly mistakes: LIRA SANK (for RIAL) and BLUE MIG (for LIME BUG)

I thought the last one was the hardest. I had ABOLITIONISTS for EMANCIPATORS, BEDOUINS for CAMPERS, TUNIC for CAPE. I got some of the other words but even with all those letters, I was lost for a country name. Submitted at 12:30 but I could have taken more time due to the late grading ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hats off to the smith!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Had a long bus ride and hours watching kids at the skating rink this weekend, so I had plenty of time to do the anagrams. I got them all, and was one imperfect money from tying with dozens of others for the win. It was fun, but a few had me pulling my hair out - I had nothing on the Turkmenistan question except 'runt' for hours until I realised runt was contained in the country name and it had 12 letters.

I'm glad Thorsten has been putting quizzes like this one and pencil and paper math on the weekend - but I think they could easily be 'one week specials' to let us work on them at our leisure.
Woof

Post by Woof »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:16 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm
Yes, TomK is the greatest player on the site until someone is watching, when he becomes shockingly mediocre. If that’s who you’ve been aspiring to, you should really choose better role models.
Until I actually take part, I won’t feel comfortable commenting on the performance of others. Playing along with past Championships, I find that I get anywhere from 2-7 right in a set giving myself an 8 minute limit. That contrasts with the 8-10 that I usually get in a MSC. For me at least those questions seem distinctly more difficult, but that makes sense for a TOC-like event. The wild card is an externally imposed time limit and whatever adjustments I’ll need to make for proctoring. I guess I’ll know soon emough.
Last edited by Woof on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm disappointed in my performance on the Primates One Day. I was 30th, but had a chance at winning since I monied the one question I missed. I was convinced that the answer to Q10 was going to be the Animal Liberation Front rather than PETA. That's the way it goes.

And congrats to Woof on making it to the championship. I'm sure you will acquit yourself admirably.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Just a heads-up that my 1DS on the Internet goes live tomorrow. I've geared it to be accessible to people who aren't networking gurus, but there will be a few questions that require a knowledge of the history and operation of the Internet.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:16 pm Just a heads-up that my 1DS on the Internet goes live tomorrow. I've geared it to be accessible to people who aren't networking gurus, but there will be a few questions that require a knowledge of the history and operation of the Internet.
One of the 3 I actually plan on entering this off-season. Looking forward to it! :)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

If the only other women's soccer player you can think of is Hope Solo, and you decide to just guess "Hope Solo" for every other question, make sure you guess "Hope Solo" for every other question, or else you won't gets the points for the question where the answer is actually "Hope Solo".

FYI.

:oops:
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I'm in Environmental Science Group 47 with TerrHeel and SterlacciJ.
Hoping for a third lap
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

I am in:

Environmental Science Group 94
Just Audio 2 Group 114
Style 3 Group 31

I did a quick scan of names, but didn't spot anyone I knew. I hope everyone is having fun with these!