LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm
Anyone else disappointed the MCWA for Q5 was "nebula" rather than "nebulae?"
I'm guessing that Thorsten combined the two. My incorrect response was nebulae. But it's hard to know for sure; you could say the MCWA for this one is a little . . . nebulous. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
Yes, me. That one was so in my wheelhouse that it's embarrassing. It was an obvious defensive three-pointer, too. How many people are going to remember Looking Glass? Doh!
Yup, although I assigned it a 2, thinking another question would be harder for my opponent. (It wasn't.) The "and first US #1" did give me some pause, re one-hit wonder Looking Glass. And was "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)" an altered name? Eh... I had already committed in my mind to my ultimate answer. At least it didn't matter, since I lost the match by a wide margin.

Some day I hope to see the Large Magellanic Cloud with the naked eye when far enough into the Southern Hemisphere. In the Northern Hemisphere, we can see the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye on a clear, moonless night. To think that it's over 2+ million light years away.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
No so much snap-answer, rather it was the only answer I had.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RandyG wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:05 pm
Some day I hope to see the Large Magellanic Cloud with the naked eye when far enough into the Southern Hemisphere. In the Northern Hemisphere, we can see the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye on a clear, moonless night. To think that it's over 2+ million light years away.
I'm currently on an island off the coast of Maine. The sky here is a lot better than suburban DC. I was checking out the Andromeda galaxy with binoculars last night. And the Milky Way was dramatically visible with the naked eye as well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

It took me until this morning to figure out what the heck Thorsten was going for with that Lord North question.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:21 am It took me until this morning to figure out what the heck Thorsten was going for with that Lord North question.
Yeah, I guess there was no Lord Ottoman. I ended up in the wrong war.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 am
econgator wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:21 am It took me until this morning to figure out what the heck Thorsten was going for with that Lord North question.
I guessed that he was looking for the Civil War and after some though put Lord Grey.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:57 am
I guessed that he was looking for the Civil War and after some though put Lord Grey.
Same, well, I went with Earl Grey, but still wrong. I even jumped over North (I was flipping between North and Dix at the time, leaning North) before having tea.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

Volante wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:02 am
Woof wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:57 am
Same, well, I went with Earl Grey, but still wrong. I even jumped over North (I was flipping between North and Dix at the time, leaning North) before having tea.
This was one of my luckiest gets. I figured he was shooting for the Civil War, and had Lee typed in for a bit before I realized "belligerent" often means side, not a general/ leader. Figured North was the most common surname out of the possibilities, so went with that as a quite lucky guess. Wouldn't have ever guessed the first name if it had been required.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 pm
RandyG wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:05 pm
I'm currently on an island off the coast of Maine. The sky here is a lot better than suburban DC. I was checking out the Andromeda galaxy with binoculars last night. And the Milky Way was dramatically visible with the naked eye as well.
I'll bet the sky is better there. ;)

The secret is out that I just moved to suburban Tucson, where the night sky is a million times more spectacular than at my previous haunts of urban Los Angeles.

Good time of year to view the Milky Way. The center of the galaxy is in the direction of Sagittarius ("The Teapot"... not to be confused with Teapot37), dropping towards the southwestern horizon shortly after sunset.

Woof

Post by Woof »

So who pissed in Thorsten's cornflakes last week? Yeesh.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Woof wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:28 pm So who pissed in Thorsten's cornflakes last week? Yeesh.
Is this in response to SmitheeA or the 13 made inactive?
Woof

Post by Woof »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:21 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:28 pm So who pissed in Thorsten's cornflakes last week? Yeesh.
Nope, just the level of difficulty I've encountered of late. Maybe it's just me, but overall league get rates have been down the last few days as well.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Woof wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:38 pm
Nope, just the level of difficulty I've encountered of late. Maybe it's just me, but overall league get rates have been down the last few days as well.
Ah I see and I would agree. Thursday was brutal for my A Rundle; we barely got above 50% for that day. Over all rundles, 3 of the 4 hardest days of the season occurred last week (Thursday was 1, Monday was 2, Friday was 4).

Stats here: https://learnedleague.com/allrundles.php?78&19
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm
Ah I see and I would agree. Thursday was brutal for my A Rundle; we barely got above 50% for that day. Over all rundles, 3 of the 4 hardest days of the season occurred last week (Thursday was 1, Monday was 2, Friday was 4).

Funny, I was just looking at my stats for the year and I am down about 6% in correct answer percentage. Then I looked at the get rates for the last few seasons and for this year and its been much harder. For LL75-LL77, correct % leaguewide was between about 50.5% and 51.5% and this season so far is 46%. My first season was LL74 and it was also about 46% and I am on pace for my lowest TCA since that year.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

classicroadster wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:04 pm Funny, I was just looking at my stats for the year and I am down about 6% in correct answer percentage. Then I looked at the get rates for the last few seasons and for this year and its been much harder. For LL75-LL77, correct % leaguewide was between about 50.5% and 51.5% and this season so far is 46%. My first season was LL74 and it was also about 46% and I am on pace for my lowest TCA since that year.
I dunno, 6% over 150 questions total is just 9 by the end of the season. Might be on the low end of the draw but it doesn't seem intentionally evil.

I went 4-1-0 last week though, so maybe I'm just biased. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I definitely am having a worse time this season. Last season after MD19, I had 69 TCA. This season it's only 57 (81 pts down on my QPct).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I only got two correct both Thursday and Friday. I'm fairly certain that's the first time that's ever happened.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Q6.LITERATURE -- The title of what 1927 novel refers to the specific type of animal to which the main character, a lonely middle-aged intellectual named Harry Haller, likens himself, as he labors to confront a bourgeois society he both hates and needs? 
Llama Llama Red PaCommie
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Requoting to say that yesterday blew those days out of the water in terms of difficulty.