LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4300
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:58 am

Quantum wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:56 am
If you enjoy science fiction, the Jemisin trilogy is an absolute masterpiece--supremely inventive and meaningful. The Hugo award is very well deserved.

(I was so confident on this one, that I entered "Mae Jamison," who is the astronaut of course. A case of unneeded information being wrong and sinking me.)
It's actually Mae Jemison, if you'd simply stuck to last name you could have been right despite thinking of the wrong person.

User avatar
badgerfellow
One and Done
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by badgerfellow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 am

alietr wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:09 am
I noticed that PerryS's match yesterday had what must be the rarest of ties: 9(5)-9(5).
How about this one? From an A rundle match in a prior season: https://learnedleague.com/match.php?id=748648

More stats on rare ties in this thread: https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php ... st#p107347

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6020
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:31 am

Ricky Bobby cost me a perfect, could not dredge up Talladega at all. As penance, I've put it on the top of my Netflix queue.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Didn't know the Chopin Q, so I went with my boy Lizst. Surprised 11% went for Mozart, who died in 1791

I've got a lock on 25th place and I feel pretty good about that :)
I’m in my prime, Optimus

User avatar
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:29 pm
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by acthomas » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Volante wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:31 am
Ricky Bobby cost me a perfect, could not dredge up Talladega at all. As penance, I've put it on the top of my Netflix queue.
Shake and bake!

User avatar
badgerfellow
One and Done
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by badgerfellow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:34 pm

acthomas wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:25 pm
Volante wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:31 am
Ricky Bobby cost me a perfect, could not dredge up Talladega at all. As penance, I've put it on the top of my Netflix queue.
Shake and bake!
If you ain't first, you're last.

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1334
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Johnblue » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:00 am

I went 6 for 6! I wouldn’t have known Chopin except for a trip to Poland 🇵🇱 in July. He’s a huge hero there. I thought Talla was correct except I couldn’t think of a river in MS but I gambled.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1007
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by trainman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:37 am

I was born in Gainesville and grew up in Tampa. I've been to both the "old" and "new" state capitol buildings (which are right next to each other in the center of the capital city).

So for an embarrassingly long amount of time, the only Florida cities with long Native American names I could think of were Kissimmee and Micanopy. Eventually, I had to systematically go through a mental map of the state to come up with Tallahassee (and then Talladega).

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1391
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 am

When I miss things like Scott Morrison being the PM of Australia, it makes me feel like I'm not a serious trivia player. Like, it's 1 page back in the Current Events thread. Why am I not reviewing that thing every night before I open the day's questions? It makes me mad at myself. Would have turned a tie into a win.

On the other hand, I am proud of myself for getting Masada, entirely from entering it into the J-Archive earlier this year. I thought I had picked it out to be a notable clue in one of my recaps, but that appears to not have been the case. If definitely made it onto a flash card around here somewhere, because I was pretty sure I had it, even if I wasn't entirely sure.

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Lefty » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:20 am

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm
Didn't know the Chopin Q, so I went with my boy Lizst.

I said Mahler on that one, based on a vague memory of some relation to "Death in Venice".
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:57 pm
Location: Simpsonville, SC

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by SBurrus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:52 am

After a rocky start to the season, things have turned around for me and after a 5(3)-1(2) victory on MD18, I am now 9-4-5 and jumped 3 spots into the promotion zone in Taiga E Div 1, with seven matches left in the season. Things are getting exciting, for sure.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1621
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:44 am

I didn’t get any credit for knowing that SOMEONE replaced Malcom Turnbull as PM of Australia on August 24th, did you? I guessed The Trunchbull

Of course it was Toto! Darn it!

Another tie: 4(2)-4(3), which is still good for... 25th place
I’m in my prime, Optimus

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6020
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 am
When I miss things like Scott Morrison being the PM of Australia, it makes me feel like I'm not a serious trivia player. Like, it's 1 page back in the Current Events thread. Why am I not reviewing that thing every night before I open the day's questions? It makes me mad at myself. Would have turned a tie into a win.
Ditto...and I'm the one who entered Morrison! The whole -point- of the thread was so I wouldn't miss questions like that! But schemes, mice, Minis, you know how it goes...

User avatar
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1511
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by teapot37 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am

Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3715
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 am

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am
Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
I'm so bad at pop music that I conflated it with the Looking Glass song, then stumbled into the right answer.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4143
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am
Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
Yes, me. That one was so in my wheelhouse that it's embarrassing. It was an obvious defensive three-pointer, too. How many people are going to remember Looking Glass? Doh!

Yet, despite this gaffe, I somehow managed a 4(3)-4(2) tie!

Anyone else disappointed the MCWA for Q5 was "nebula" rather than "nebulae?"

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6020
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am
Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
Yes, me. That one was so in my wheelhouse that it's embarrassing. It was an obvious defensive three-pointer, too. How many people are going to remember Looking Glass? Doh!
Everyone who puts the the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 soundtrack on loop?

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4143
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Volante wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am
Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
Yes, me. That one was so in my wheelhouse that it's embarrassing. It was an obvious defensive three-pointer, too. How many people are going to remember Looking Glass? Doh!
Everyone who puts the the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 soundtrack on loop?
Weird. I don't watch superhero movies, so had no idea those movies had '70s songs in them. My wife would love that soundtrack.

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by ElendilPickle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:22 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am
Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
Almost, but I thought about it for a minute, thankfully.

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by ElendilPickle » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:23 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:36 pm
Volante wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am
Anybody else snap-answer Looking Glass for the Brandy question?
Yes, me. That one was so in my wheelhouse that it's embarrassing. It was an obvious defensive three-pointer, too. How many people are going to remember Looking Glass? Doh!
Everyone who puts the the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 soundtrack on loop?
Weird. I don't watch superhero movies, so had no idea those movies had '70s songs in them. My wife would love that soundtrack.
She'll like the first movie's soundtrack as well.

Post Reply