LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:33 pm

sarisson wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:54 pm
After 12 non-rookie seasons, I finally finished in the promotion zone! That means, assuming none of us get moved, I will get to face boardies BoK, BigDaddyMatty, and Blue Lion (that's a lot of B's) next season.
What do you call where the trivia ocean meets the trivia sky? A Horizon.
Welcome to A! Look forward to playing against you next season.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by reddpen » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:39 am

Woof wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am
I recently learned that I ranked 40th among "luckiest LLamas" of LL78. This helps explain why, after 18 seasons in A Rundles, I finally managed to win one. By any measure, this was one of my weaker offensive seasons, though I did have an above average defensive season. In fact, it looks statistically identical to LL76 where I finished in 5th place. Regardless, I'll now get to take my lumps in the LL Championship, where I will be very fortunate indeed to finish above the cut line.
As you well know, it's an honor just to qualify.

After MD8 I had missed just six questions and was contending for whatever the high scorer's award is called. I knew better than to tempt the trivia gods by posting, not that my silence helped. That uncanny opening run, which got me only as high as 7th, was followed by a brutal, eight-day, 0-6-2 regression to the mean that left me in 22nd. Even going a respectable 4-5 in my last nine matches, including a rare win over bomtr, left me in 23rd. I did just barely manage to keep my DE over .700 for the season, always a point of pride.

Those A rundles are vicious, and A Cont isn't even a very strong one these days, but I fight like mad each season to stay here. Huge congrats on the win, Mark, and best of luck.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4289
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 am

Woof wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am
I recently learned that I ranked 40th among "luckiest LLamas" of LL78. This helps explain why, after 18 seasons in A Rundles, I finally managed to win one. By any measure, this was one of my weaker offensive seasons, though I did have an above average defensive season. In fact, it looks statistically identical to LL76 where I finished in 5th place. Regardless, I'll now get to take my lumps in the LL Championship, where I will be very fortunate indeed to finish above the cut line.
Please can we let the tradition die where people brag in advance about how terribly they're going to do in the championship? Yes you can score 120-130 nearly every season for the last five years and you're over .700 lifetime in 17 out of 18 categories, but now that someone is watching you're going to be terrible. Yes, we get it. It's not cute or funny or amusingly self-deprecating when the championship is literally half filled with people who lose half of their knowledge when someone is watching. Just one more person making a mockery of the game. If you're good enough to win an A Rundle legitimately, then go to the championship and put on a representative performance. If you're full of shit, then please leave the league. (Note that last part is not specifically for Woof but for everyone. Thank you.)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5573
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am

Submissions officially close for the Country Anagrams 1DS in just over six and a half hours from the time of this post. If you like wordplay, I highly recommend it. (This is from someone who fell out of the habit of looking at the LL site during the off days, and only heard about it in face-to-face conversation on Sunday. I would have regretted missing it.)

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:35 am

I loved that 1DS...but probably should've read the instructions more carefully before I hit submit.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5982
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:08 am

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am
Submissions officially close for the Country Anagrams 1DS in just over six and a half hours from the time of this post. If you like wordplay, I highly recommend it. (This is from someone who fell out of the habit of looking at the LL site during the off days, and only heard about it in face-to-face conversation on Sunday. I would have regretted missing it.)
That was a good 1DS to ponder while waiting at the DMV

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:26 am

Volante wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:08 am
seaborgium wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am
Submissions officially close for the Country Anagrams 1DS in just over six and a half hours from the time of this post. If you like wordplay, I highly recommend it. (This is from someone who fell out of the habit of looking at the LL site during the off days, and only heard about it in face-to-face conversation on Sunday. I would have regretted missing it.)
That was a good 1DS to ponder while waiting at the DMV
I pondered that 1DS as I spent 14 hours in transit doing a positively insane 23-hour round trip journey to SF to speak at a memorial service. It certainly was a good way to pass the time.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 am
Woof wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am
I recently learned that I ranked 40th among "luckiest LLamas" of LL78. This helps explain why, after 18 seasons in A Rundles, I finally managed to win one. By any measure, this was one of my weaker offensive seasons, though I did have an above average defensive season. In fact, it looks statistically identical to LL76 where I finished in 5th place. Regardless, I'll now get to take my lumps in the LL Championship, where I will be very fortunate indeed to finish above the cut line.
Please can we let the tradition die where people brag in advance about how terribly they're going to do in the championship? Yes you can score 120-130 nearly every season for the last five years and you're over .700 lifetime in 17 out of 18 categories, but now that someone is watching you're going to be terrible. Yes, we get it. It's not cute or funny or amusingly self-deprecating when the championship is literally half filled with people who lose half of their knowledge when someone is watching. Just one more person making a mockery of the game. If you're good enough to win an A Rundle legitimately, then go to the championship and put on a representative performance. If you're full of shit, then please leave the league. (Note that last part is not specifically for Woof but for everyone. Thank you.)
Good grief, Jeff. You read all that into my honest assessment that it'll take some luck to finish in the upper half of that field? When people like bomtr and TomKBaltimoreBoy, both of whom I have a career losing record to in LL, cannot achieve such a feat in the last Championship, I don't think that it's false modesty to not be too optimistic about my own chances. Regardless, in deference to your sensibilities, I'll not comment on it again here.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1568
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 pm

Woof wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:26 am
Volante wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:08 am
seaborgium wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:28 am
Submissions officially close for the Country Anagrams 1DS in just over six and a half hours from the time of this post. If you like wordplay, I highly recommend it. (This is from someone who fell out of the habit of looking at the LL site during the off days, and only heard about it in face-to-face conversation on Sunday. I would have regretted missing it.)
That was a good 1DS to ponder while waiting at the DMV
I pondered that 1DS as I spent 14 hours in transit doing a positively insane 23-hour round trip journey to SF to speak at a memorial service. It certainly was a good way to pass the time.
Thanks for the reminder. Just spent about 90 min on this with no standing break :shock:
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4289
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Woof wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 am
Woof wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am
I recently learned that I ranked 40th among "luckiest LLamas" of LL78. This helps explain why, after 18 seasons in A Rundles, I finally managed to win one. By any measure, this was one of my weaker offensive seasons, though I did have an above average defensive season. In fact, it looks statistically identical to LL76 where I finished in 5th place. Regardless, I'll now get to take my lumps in the LL Championship, where I will be very fortunate indeed to finish above the cut line.
Please can we let the tradition die where people brag in advance about how terribly they're going to do in the championship? Yes you can score 120-130 nearly every season for the last five years and you're over .700 lifetime in 17 out of 18 categories, but now that someone is watching you're going to be terrible. Yes, we get it. It's not cute or funny or amusingly self-deprecating when the championship is literally half filled with people who lose half of their knowledge when someone is watching. Just one more person making a mockery of the game. If you're good enough to win an A Rundle legitimately, then go to the championship and put on a representative performance. If you're full of shit, then please leave the league. (Note that last part is not specifically for Woof but for everyone. Thank you.)
Good grief, Jeff. You read all that into my honest assessment that it'll take some luck to finish in the upper half of that field? When people like bomtr and TomKBaltimoreBoy, both of whom I have a career losing record to in LL, cannot achieve such a feat in the last Championship, I don't think that it's false modesty to not be too optimistic about my own chances. Regardless, in deference to your sensibilities, I'll not comment on it again here.
Yes, TomK is the greatest player on the site until someone is watching, when he becomes shockingly mediocre. If that’s who you’ve been aspiring to, you should really choose better role models.

User avatar
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1497
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by teapot37 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Interesting that two of the weekend's 1DSs are graded and posted as of 3:30 Eastern, but not the anagram one.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1568
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:48 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:35 pm
Interesting that two of the weekend's 1DSs are graded and posted as of 3:30 Eastern, but not the anagram one.
Graded now. I got 7 right because I made 2 silly mistakes: LIRA SANK (for RIAL) and BLUE MIG (for LIME BUG)

I thought the last one was the hardest. I had ABOLITIONISTS for EMANCIPATORS, BEDOUINS for CAMPERS, TUNIC for CAPE. I got some of the other words but even with all those letters, I was lost for a country name. Submitted at 12:30 but I could have taken more time due to the late grading ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hats off to the smith!
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by boson » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Had a long bus ride and hours watching kids at the skating rink this weekend, so I had plenty of time to do the anagrams. I got them all, and was one imperfect money from tying with dozens of others for the win. It was fun, but a few had me pulling my hair out - I had nothing on the Turkmenistan question except 'runt' for hours until I realised runt was contained in the country name and it had 12 letters.

I'm glad Thorsten has been putting quizzes like this one and pencil and paper math on the weekend - but I think they could easily be 'one week specials' to let us work on them at our leisure.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:38 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:16 pm
Woof wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 am
Woof wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 am
I recently learned that I ranked 40th among "luckiest LLamas" of LL78. This helps explain why, after 18 seasons in A Rundles, I finally managed to win one. By any measure, this was one of my weaker offensive seasons, though I did have an above average defensive season. In fact, it looks statistically identical to LL76 where I finished in 5th place. Regardless, I'll now get to take my lumps in the LL Championship, where I will be very fortunate indeed to finish above the cut line.
Please can we let the tradition die where people brag in advance about how terribly they're going to do in the championship? Yes you can score 120-130 nearly every season for the last five years and you're over .700 lifetime in 17 out of 18 categories, but now that someone is watching you're going to be terrible. Yes, we get it. It's not cute or funny or amusingly self-deprecating when the championship is literally half filled with people who lose half of their knowledge when someone is watching. Just one more person making a mockery of the game. If you're good enough to win an A Rundle legitimately, then go to the championship and put on a representative performance. If you're full of shit, then please leave the league. (Note that last part is not specifically for Woof but for everyone. Thank you.)
Good grief, Jeff. You read all that into my honest assessment that it'll take some luck to finish in the upper half of that field? When people like bomtr and TomKBaltimoreBoy, both of whom I have a career losing record to in LL, cannot achieve such a feat in the last Championship, I don't think that it's false modesty to not be too optimistic about my own chances. Regardless, in deference to your sensibilities, I'll not comment on it again here.
Yes, TomK is the greatest player on the site until someone is watching, when he becomes shockingly mediocre. If that’s who you’ve been aspiring to, you should really choose better role models.
Until I actually take part, I won’t feel comfortable commenting on the performance of others. Playing along with past Championships, I find that I get anywhere from 2-7 right in a set giving myself an 8 minute limit. That contrasts with the 8-10 that I usually get in a MSC. For me at least those questions seem distinctly more difficult, but that makes sense for a TOC-like event. The wild card is an externally imposed time limit and whatever adjustments I’ll need to make for proctoring. I guess I’ll know soon emough.
Last edited by Woof on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4123
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm disappointed in my performance on the Primates One Day. I was 30th, but had a chance at winning since I monied the one question I missed. I was convinced that the answer to Q10 was going to be the Animal Liberation Front rather than PETA. That's the way it goes.

And congrats to Woof on making it to the championship. I'm sure you will acquit yourself admirably.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Just a heads-up that my 1DS on the Internet goes live tomorrow. I've geared it to be accessible to people who aren't networking gurus, but there will be a few questions that require a knowledge of the history and operation of the Internet.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7599
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by econgator » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Woof wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:16 pm
Just a heads-up that my 1DS on the Internet goes live tomorrow. I've geared it to be accessible to people who aren't networking gurus, but there will be a few questions that require a knowledge of the history and operation of the Internet.
One of the 3 I actually plan on entering this off-season. Looking forward to it! :)

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:38 am

If the only other women's soccer player you can think of is Hope Solo, and you decide to just guess "Hope Solo" for every other question, make sure you guess "Hope Solo" for every other question, or else you won't gets the points for the question where the answer is actually "Hope Solo".

FYI.

:oops:

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by sarisson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:21 pm

I'm in Environmental Science Group 47 with TerrHeel and SterlacciJ.
In for a second lap

User avatar
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 78 - Official Thread

Post by cmp146 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 pm

I am in:

Environmental Science Group 94
Just Audio 2 Group 114
Style 3 Group 31

I did a quick scan of names, but didn't spot anyone I knew. I hope everyone is having fun with these!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], seaborgium and 42 guests