Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 4 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 4 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by rjaguar3 »

Here you go.

Unmarked round 4 spoilers ahead!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E
Wpwells

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 4 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by Wpwells »

Loved the clever wordplay on the Zebulon clue!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I also appreciated the TOM on the Zebulon clue.

Are you going to accept "The Forsythe Saga" instead of "The Forsyte Saga"? There's no particular reason why you should, I guess. (I honestly thought it was the former.) But if you do, I will have my first ever perfecto.
Teems with quiet fun.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

immaf wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 am Are you going to accept "The Forsythe Saga" instead of "The Forsyte Saga"? There's no particular reason why you should, I guess. (I honestly thought it was the former.) But if you do, I will have my first ever perfecto.
I missed the part where it was about the series and dropped 'saga'... Mercy?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof

Post by Woof »

Gah. Misread the 10-pointer and thought it was looking for a girl's name. As a consequence, I completely overlooked the excellent TOM.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Nice writing on the Z category today, anonymous!
PowerofHoodoo

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

Apparently I am one of a select group who have never read or even wanted to read a Harry Potter book or see one of the films. Do I give in to be literate in popular culture or hope to live long enough to be the only holdout?
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

immaf wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 am I also appreciated the TOM on the Zebulon clue.

Are you going to accept "The Forsythe Saga" instead of "The Forsyte Saga"? There's no particular reason why you should, I guess. (I honestly thought it was the former.) But if you do, I will have my first ever perfecto.
I misspelled it too. I knew it was pronounced like "foresight" but couldn't remember the spelling. But "th" is one way to spell the "t" sound (e.g, Thomas, Thames, Esther, thyme), so I think we should be OK.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

PowerofHoodoo wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 pm Apparently I am one of a select group who have never read or even wanted to read a Harry Potter book or see one of the films. Do I give in to be literate in popular culture or hope to live long enough to be the only holdout?
Hard to answer this one; if you don't like fantasy books, you're probably never going to enjoy the series. If you just want to know enough to be able to recognize some Jeopardy clues, you can probably find a concise synopsis on Wikipedia or elsewhere. The overall story is pretty simple. Otherwise, you're looking at 7 books or 8 movies - and none of them were short because the author was all about the imaginative details.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

PowerofHoodoo wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 pm Apparently I am one of a select group who have never read or even wanted to read a Harry Potter book or see one of the films. Do I give in to be literate in popular culture or hope to live long enough to be the only holdout?
I have never read a word of or seen a second of any of them either. I picked up the bare minimum to be able to answer low value jeopardy clues through Wikipedia. I guessed on today's since it was the lowest value clue and seemed like it might make sense. I don't plan to ever give in, so we will see which of us lives longer.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I've never read any of the Harry Potter books, so it was a 50/50/90 for me between Rowling and Tolkien. Tolkien was my first guess and gut instinct, so I went with that.

Also didn't even realize the name in the Galsworthy series was spelled with no h. I hope the judges are lenient, but since it's a title, I'm expecting to be dinged.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
PowerofHoodoo

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:04 pm
Hard to answer this one; if you don't like fantasy books, you're probably never going to enjoy the series. If you just want to know enough to be able to recognize some Jeopardy clues, you can probably find a concise synopsis on Wikipedia or elsewhere. The overall story is pretty simple. Otherwise, you're looking at 7 books or 8 movies - and none of them were short because the author was all about the imaginative details.
I was being a bit facetious with the question. You're right; if I weren't a bit lazy I could use other sources to be more familiar with some characters and terms. I am not at all averse to fantasy. I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Rings films, although the books sit unread to date. I have read several novels in the related genre of magic realism (Marquez, Rushdie's Grimus and Satanic Verses). I was not impressed with the excerpts I read when the Potter series was young, and the books are just too long for non-devotees.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Nice TOM on the 10 pointer. I think the 15 pointer is way overvalued.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

The Talking Mime wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:23 pmAlso didn't even realize the name in the Galsworthy series was spelled with no h. I hope the judges are lenient, but since it's a title, I'm expecting to be dinged.
There's no special rule for titles, that I know of. Here's what the rules say about spelling:
SHC policy is "We want to give you points." Give us a good reason we can justify, and you get points. Get close enough on spelling to convince us you know what you're talking about (the Vilnuis Rule).
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

PowerofHoodoo wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:04 pm
I was being a bit facetious with the question. You're right; if I weren't a bit lazy I could use other sources to be more familiar with some characters and terms. I am not at all averse to fantasy. I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Rings films, although the books sit unread to date. I have read several novels in the related genre of magic realism (Marquez, Rushdie's Grimus and Satanic Verses). I was not impressed with the excerpts I read when the Potter series was young, and the books are just too long for non-devotees.
Ok; I don't know what the excerpts might have been and it seems that the only way to really give a fair shake to an author is to start from the beginning, but we all come at things from our unique perspectives. I suspect the series will be with us for many years, but will it always be popular with succeeding generations? At one point, it seemed that way for the Narnia Chronicles, but I suspect most kids today haven't read them, etc.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i guess we can say anonymous is not an espn employee...they would have gone for that zion dude from duke who they have already started creaming themselves over and it isn't even ncaa basketball season yet
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

DBear wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:33 pm I think the 15 pointer is way overvalued.
I had a particularly vicious set of Brit Lit questions, but rjaguar3 wisely made it possible for people to score more than 0 on the category (I think the Forsyte question remained intact, but I had it at a low value - I'm still learning how SHC works in detail). I referred to one of the more interesting (to me, at least, this was my focus as an undergrad) stories about the Brontes. Charlotte lived the longest and prevented the republication of Wildfell Hall, which could well have become the most famous of all their novels. She felt Anne, never having been married, should not be writing about marital abuse. The first publication sold out very quickly and then the novel was forgotten after Anne died at only 29. Her first novel, Agnes Grey (which isn't very good), is about all she was known for over a long time period. But IMO, had she lived a long life, Anne would be more celebrated than Jane Austen today. If you're into 19th Century Brit Lit at all, I'd recommend The Tenant of Wildfell Hall over just about anything that side of Wilkie Collins. Take that with a grain of salt - I don't get Wuthering Heights, period.

I don't know about Forsythe/Forsyte in terms of precedent. That's enough of a mispronunciation that Alex would frown. But it's such a frequent mistake I'd hate for it to cost people more than 20 points.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

The Talking Mime wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:23 pm I've never read any of the Harry Potter books, so it was a 50/50/90 for me between Rowling and Tolkien. Tolkien was my first guess and gut instinct, so I went with that.
Our library hosts an annual summer reading program for kids, with a variety of activities. One of them was a weekly poll (dogs vs. cats, summer vs. autumn, etc.). The final "election" was "Lord of the Rings" vs. "Harry Potter". On the second day of voting, I looked at the ballot boxes (see-through) and projected Harry as the winner. He won overwhelmingly, and the library staff posted the ballots with the most adorable comments from little Harry Potter fans.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

If it matters any on Forsythe/Forsyte, Thorsten accepted "Forsythe" on Q8 in the LL76 Midseason Classic: https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?classic_76
rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

Forsythe Saga is good.