Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 4 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 4 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Drat, knew I should've spent more time thinking about the 12 pointer...there's not many of those that start with B in the first place!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:03 am Drat, knew I should've spent more time thinking about the 12 pointer...there's not many of those that start with B in the first place!
If my answer for the 12 is right then I know it's Curious George Goes to the Hospital that gets credit. Forgot the category when I guessed the Aisha Tyler show for the CW question. We'll see how spell4yr's post goes to get me off the hook.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Looks like basalt was the intended answer for the 6 pointer on R4D4. But basalt isn't a mineral...it's a type of rock.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:08 am
Volante wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:03 am Drat, knew I should've spent more time thinking about the 12 pointer...there's not many of those that start with B in the first place!
If my answer for the 12 is right then I know it's Curious George Goes to the Hospital that gets credit. Forgot the category when I guessed the Aisha Tyler show for the CW question. We'll see how spell4yr's post goes to get me off the hook.
So far we're the only two to even attempt it.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

spell4yr wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:03 am So about the R4D4 8-pointer:
I think we're going to have to accept both, because there's a key word I didn't put back when self-editing: scripted. Having to know the day and time of the show's airing was not supposed to be the point of the category.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Anachronism wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:38 am Having to know the day and time of the show's airing was not supposed to be the point of the category.
And because that's obviously the case I'm not too worried about this, but isn't it true that these shows only aired at 8:00 pm in certain time zones?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I really goofed today. Said Baryons without even thinking of Bosons. :oops:
Douglas Squasoni
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

Aargh, forgot about the 200 episode part of the 8-pointer clue. Also, not on at 8 on Thursday.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:08 am
If my answer for the 12 is right then I know it's Curious George Goes to the Hospital that gets credit.
[/quote]

That is exactly how I recalled it quickly.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:07 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:47 pm day 3

curt flood' should have been the 15 pointer imo
How's the get rate looking so far? To a baseball junkie like me, Flood is a slam dunk instaget, and Flood v Kuhn is a well-known case. Not sure how it plays for a non-fan. Then again, there's a lot of baseball fans on this board.

I'm seriously pissed off at myself for not getting softball for the perfecto. Even if I had taken a WAG, I'd have guessed she was a WNBA player, same as DBear. Drew a complete blank even though looking it up now, I recognize her face!!! Too little, too late.
I would have loved Curt Flood for 15. Seriously considered softball for my answer to the other one, but I've been guessing poorly lately so didn't want to risk it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

day 4 (can we call it Thursday?) safety spoiler:
Spoiler
A couple of us in that club with you! It's a good thing I changed from pre-med to physics. I know Bismuth. I know Barium. But apparently I get confused and forget which one to stick up your butt. :lol:

I couldn't pull the trigger on the bathychromic WAG because I've never seen the term in an optics, astronomy, or radiation context. And I don't trust my Greek that much.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:07 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:47 pm day 3

curt flood' should have been the 15 pointer imo
How's the get rate looking so far? To a baseball junkie like me, Flood is a slam dunk instaget, and Flood v Kuhn is a well-known case. Not sure how it plays for a non-fan. Then again, there's a lot of baseball fans on this board.

I'm seriously pissed off at myself for not getting softball for the perfecto. Even if I had taken a WAG, I'd have guessed she was a WNBA player, same as DBear. Drew a complete blank even though looking it up now, I recognize her face!!! Too little, too late.

oh it was easy...don't get me wrong, but way more difficult than sterling and the los angeles clippers since that was in the mainstream news not all that long ago
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This professional physicist working in fields related to optics for 20+ years has never seen the term "bathochromic/bathychromic". We've always said "red shift" or "Stokes scattering" (for a particular type of red shift). A quick search finds it a bit more in the chemistry literature than the atomic/solid state stuff I typically read.

Congrats to those who got it!

(edit: Thanks for the shout out on the 9-pointer!)
clprez

Post by clprez »

boson wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:55 pm This professional physicist working in fields related to optics for 20+ years has never seen the term "bathochromic/bathychromic". We've always said "red shift" or "Stokes scattering" (for a particular type of red shift). A quick search finds it a bit more in the chemistry literature than the atomic/solid state stuff I typically read.

I checked your entry to see if you thanked them. I also checked JohnBoy's for the Walton entry, too.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

boson wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:55 pm This professional physicist working in fields related to optics for 20+ years has never seen the term "bathochromic/bathychromic". We've always said "red shift" or "Stokes scattering" (for a particular type of red shift). A quick search finds it a bit more in the chemistry literature than the atomic/solid state stuff I typically read.

I got it from the Greek.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I was thinking "bathychromic? chromobathic?" and was ready to type in "bathychromic," but just couldn't pull the trigger with points at risk. But then I blithely type in wrong answers without a second thought all the time, sure they're correct.

The SHC is fun. And I can't figure out why.....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

You backed off for the same reason I did. Glad to see a similar CLAMMER. I just don't know of any "blue shifts" in mainstream science topics. I figured it was some obscure photography jargon, and they might take liberties with the naming conventions. Many boardies owe you 9 points for the Pavlov from your handle :lol: . Indian physicist is enough for me.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I was irritated at myself for not getting boson--I knew baryon was derived from "heavy" and not from a name but didn't think about it long enough. I was never going to get bathychromatic--I forgot the exact prefix for "deep" so I got as far as "basochromic" before clamming.

I follow baseball and only tangentially follow other sports, but, for some reason, I like to listen to sports talk radio while driving even when they're talking about something I'm not that interested in. It turned out that I got an earful about the Sterling thing when that was in the news so that question played easy for me.
LucarioSnooperVixey

I went to the Intrepid in New York City last week and they had an exhibit with all the International Signal Flags. I even took a picture of those flags.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Looked up Tokyo Story afterward. Yasujiro Ozu was the correct answer. I wonder how many people got that one.
Douglas Squasoni