Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 4 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 4 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by immaf »

I never remember whether Pearl Harbor was 1941 or 1942. Flipped a mental coin, and it came down stupid.
Teems with quiet fun.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Given the number of correct responses on Croatia, I presume the clue refers to the country's run in the recent World Cup. Sadly, I was in the middle of moving and missed the entirety of the tournament. I knew from the news that Croatia had done well, but I missed all the visuals...

BTW, thanks for the rather obscure film clue! It's not often that I the chance to pick up 15 points on most of the other contestants in the SHC. :D
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:42 am Looked up Tokyo Story afterward. Yasujiro Ozu was the correct answer. I wonder how many people got that one.
I certainly wasn't one. I avoided Kurosawa because I didn't think he would be worth a max-point answer, but he's certainly the only Japanese director that comes to mind.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

immaf wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:38 am
rjaguar3 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:02 am Forsythe Saga is good.
YAY!
However, in this episode, a contestant was penalized for saying Forsythe Saga. FICTIONAL CHARACTERS $800

www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1207
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm Given the number of correct responses on Croatia, I presume the clue refers to the country's run in the recent World Cup. Sadly, I was in the middle of moving and missed the entirety of the tournament. I knew from the news that Croatia had done well, but I missed all the visuals.
I recognized Croatia's flag from the Polandball toons on Reddit. The World Cup was bonus.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm BTW, thanks for the rather obscure film clue! It's not often that I the chance to pick up 15 points on most of the other contestants in the SHC. :D
You're welcome. :D

If you haven't seen it, Tokyo Story starts slow, but ends up being a rather poignantly enjoyable film.
アタックチャンス!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

WooWho? wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:45 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:17 pm BTW, thanks for the rather obscure film clue! It's not often that I the chance to pick up 15 points on most of the other contestants in the SHC. :D
You're welcome. :D

If you haven't seen it, Tokyo Story starts slow, but ends up being a rather poignantly enjoyable film.
I've seen it within the last year, and never would have been able to come up with his name.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Today's (R4D5) 3-pointer seemed inordinately arbitrary to me. Like most big cities, Tokyo has twinning/sister city agreements with a bunch of other cities. Tokyo is twinned with at least three Asian capitals: Seoul, Beijing, and Jakarta - though I doubt very many people would know which years those agreements were entered into. So the only TOM would've been the world's focus on the capital in 1988.

I thought the year reference might have been a clue that the twinning agreement was entered into the year before the Tiananmen protests (because during or just after the protests would've been an unlikely time for Tokyo to be showing solidarity with Beijing). Instead, it turned out to be referring to the Seoul Olympics. I think it would have been better, especially for such a low-value clue, just to mention the Olympics. JMO
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

immaf wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:42 am I never remember whether Pearl Harbor was 1941 or 1942. Flipped a mental coin, and it came down stupid.
"December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy...."
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Magna wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:02 pm
immaf wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:42 am I never remember whether Pearl Harbor was 1941 or 1942. Flipped a mental coin, and it came down stupid.
"December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy...."
Oh, I know FDR said the day would live in infamy. I just can never remember what year he said. (Although, I probably will be able in the future.)
Teems with quiet fun.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Magna wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:58 pm Today's (R4D5) 3-pointer seemed inordinately arbitrary to me. Like most big cities, Tokyo has twinning/sister city agreements with a bunch of other cities. Tokyo is twinned with at least three Asian capitals: Seoul, Beijing, and Jakarta - though I doubt very many people would know which years those agreements were entered into. So the only TOM would've been the world's focus on the capital in 1988.

I thought the year reference might have been a clue that the twinning agreement was entered into the year before the Tiananmen protests (because during or just after the protests would've been an unlikely time for Tokyo to be showing solidarity with Beijing). Instead, it turned out to be referring to the Seoul Olympics. I think it would have been better, especially for such a low-value clue, just to mention the Olympics. JMO
For some reason I had to check my stupidity index since I clammed this one. So far it is 26 right, 7 wrong (all Beijing WAGs), and 8 CLAMS. Probably undervalued or needed a little more TOM - just asking for the 1988 Olympics is probably not too much TOM.

Still and all - not whining. This is fun and I'll be a little let down when the show starts again without me to finish last among regular players. Thanks to the category writers and backup helpers.

It's only 3 points :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Did anyone know the semaphore question? I thought about a WAG of blue, but couldn't pull the trigger. :?:
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:02 pm
Magna wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:58 pm Today's (R4D5) 3-pointer seemed inordinately arbitrary to me. Like most big cities, Tokyo has twinning/sister city agreements with a bunch of other cities. Tokyo is twinned with at least three Asian capitals: Seoul, Beijing, and Jakarta - though I doubt very many people would know which years those agreements were entered into. So the only TOM would've been the world's focus on the capital in 1988.

For some reason I had to check my stupidity index since I clammed this one. So far it is 26 right, 7 wrong (all Beijing WAGs), and 8 CLAMS. Probably undervalued or needed a little more TOM - just asking for the 1988 Olympics is probably not too much TOM.

Still and all - not whining. This is fun and I'll be a little let down when the show starts again without me to finish last among regular players. Thanks to the category writers and backup helpers.

It's only 3 points :).
Yep. :) Just giving feedback that I hope will be helpful.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Part of the 3-pointer question in Rome is incorrect. The Colosseum was completed in 79 A. D. It was OPENED in 80 A. D. :idea:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Strange pattern for me on R4D6 with a blank on the 2 & 10 for the top half and blank on the 9 while getting the 3, 6, 12 & 15.

I had met as a possible for encountered, but did not know mete meant boundary as in crosswords I see things in the range of allot and dole out. Rational/rationale was not going to happen and I was busted for knowing nothing of the Australian author other than her famous miniseries work.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

DBear wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:48 pm Did anyone know the semaphore question? I thought about a WAG of blue, but couldn't pull the trigger. :?:
Not a chance in hell. For me, that was the "WTF?" moment of the SHC so far. If you forced me to take a guess (or if it were the most evil DD/FJ and I had to), I might have picked blue, but not with 5pts on the line. Oh well. If that comes in above 10% I'll be surprised and impressed.

Also, I got as far as "it can't possibly be Kurosawa for 15pts", and I'm not sure I've even heard of Ozu.

Rational/rationale will be interesting to follow. To me it was even easier than spit/spite, but we'll see how it plays.
LucarioSnooperVixey

DBear wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:48 pm Did anyone know the semaphore question? I thought about a WAG of blue, but couldn't pull the trigger. :?:
I got the question right because I took a picture of all those flags when I was at the Intrepid last week.
Also, those aren't semaphore flags, they are International Signal flags. Semaphore is categorized by signaling motion using flags.
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

If you are a fan of British TV (and possibly Doctor Who, as well), you may be familiar with a show called Blue Peter. This flag is also known as a Blue Peter.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:46 pm I had met as a possible for encountered, but did not know mete meant boundary as in crosswords I see things in the range of allot and dole out.
Same reasoning (rationale?) here -- thought about the met/mete pair, but couldn't equate mete with a boundary, so clammed. At least I didn't go with edg/edge.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought of met/mete, but I'd never heard of the noun definition. I wondered, if it was correct, whether it had anything to do with perimeter.