Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 5 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2018--Round 5 Instant Replay (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:12 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:40 pm and i thought day 3 was bad...day 4 is even more wretched
These last two days....yikes. I didn't even have a guess on anything in servants and hebrew.
i got the 1st one in hebrew, but didn't even bother submitting anything for day 4
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I'll be the first (and maybe the only) one to say it: Bravo for the opera category!
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Question: Why can we not post rounds 5 and 6 simultaneously? Some of us don't really check this site over the weekends...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Gotta love those opera questions that rely instead on a knowledge of literature! Too bad OSC isn’t playing in the SHC this year. I’m sure had have got a kick out of the 12 pt question in Colleges and Universities :twisted:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Magna wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:29 pm I'll be the first (and maybe the only) one to say it: Bravo for the opera category!
probably...pizz on opera
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Wpwells wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:58 pm Question: Why can we not post rounds 5 and 6 simultaneously? Some of us don't really check this site over the weekends...
i never understood that about this site...do most just use the site when they are at work? the day of the week doesn't matter to me...i work online 7 days a week and actually spend more time online on weekends....peek online poker playing is on weekends not to mention massive amount of sports during the non summer months
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Woof wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:41 pm Gotta love those opera questions that rely instead on a knowledge of literature! Too bad OSC isn’t playing in the SHC this year. I’m sure had have got a kick out of the 12 pt question in Colleges and Universities :twisted:
would have gone with this for the "hard" university question

at which sorority house on the campus of florida state did ted bundy kill 2 members?
Spoiler
chi omega
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Oops, just realized I typed the wrong "-ville" for the Tennessee question. :(
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Magna wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:41 pm Oops, just realized I typed the wrong "-ville" for the Tennessee question. :(
Everyone makes mistakes. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Wpwells wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:58 pm Question: Why can we not post rounds 5 and 6 simultaneously? Some of us don't really check this site over the weekends...
It isn't 'we' who post round 5 and 6 but one person. rjaguar3 is running this quiz for 6 weeks straight, providing well-edited, challenging questions 6 days a week AND doing the scoring. This is a volunteer gig that must take hours a day... Sometimes life and work intervene before the questions reach the quality we are enjoying.

I think they deserve more appreciation and understanding than that.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

boson wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:16 pm
It isn't 'we' who post round 5 and 6 but one person. rjaguar3 is running this quiz for 6 weeks straight, providing well-edited, challenging questions 6 days a week AND doing the scoring. This is a volunteer gig that must take hours a day... Sometimes life and work intervene before the questions reach the quality we are enjoying.

I think they deserve more appreciation and understanding than that.
i agree...i don't get why the st louis homer can't use the internet on weekends...should have more time on weekends for internet usage than on weekdays
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I only knew Turandot because after Aretha Franklin died, I saw a video of her singing Nessun Dorma, so out of curiosity I looked up what opera it was from.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I don't know yet what the answer for the R5D6 10-pointer is, but..
Spoiler
I feel like there's room for a few answers. None of them felt "right" to me, merely acceptable if I wished to argue them. But I didn't want to insist "guy cry" was worth 10 points, or even "reborn forlorn." "Glistening christening" felt a little closer, but it's the eyes that are glistening, not the baptism itself. Everything I came up with, like "reconciled child," just didn't quite convey the level of detail that I felt the correct response should.

edit: "devotion emotion" is pretty darn close. I might have said that and argued for it if I'd thought of it.
immaf

Post by immaf »

How do you feel about "canning Manning" instead of "banning Manning?"
Teems with quiet fun.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:03 am I don't know yet what the answer for the R5D6 10-pointer is, but..
Spoiler
I feel like there's room for a few answers. None of them felt "right" to me, merely acceptable if I wished to argue them. But I didn't want to insist "guy cry" was worth 10 points, or even "reborn forlorn." "Glistening christening" felt a little closer, but it's the eyes that are glistening, not the baptism itself. Everything I came up with, like "reconciled child," just didn't quite convey the level of detail that I felt the correct response should.

edit: "devotion emotion" is pretty darn close. I might have said that and argued for it if I'd thought of it.
I went with lacrament sacrament, another big stretch.

Also had canning instead of banning - I think this must be accepted. "Capture rapture" is another stretch for me. I just couldn't get apocolyptic triptych to sound right in my head.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Score another one for "glistening Christening". Too many good answers on that though. Couldn't pull "velocity verbosity".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Looks like I'm the first for going with rite fright. For the film festival I almost forgot rhyming rules and thought about Telluride Mesmerize.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Hooray for Chemistry questions that I don’t write! :geek: I concur about the 8 pointer: I even though of velocity and couldn’t pull a rhyme. I said emotional devotional for the 10 pointer. I’ll be interested to see which answers are accepted
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Woof wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:50 am Hooray for Chemistry questions that I don’t write! :geek: I concur about the 8 pointer: I even though of velocity and couldn’t pull a rhyme. I said emotional devotional for the 10 pointer. I’ll be interested to see which answers are accepted
I said "Emotional Devotional" as well. I recalled from the back of my mind that a devotional was some sort of religious ceremony.

Also knew the word verbosity thanks to the J!Archive.

I think any Jeopardy! contestant should have the potential to run this category.
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:03 am I don't know yet what the answer for the R5D6 10-pointer is, but..
Spoiler

Best I could come up with was "confirmation condensation" which is barely in the right ballpark, which is a terrible fit on two levels. So I left it blank. At least you have a couple of alternatives to discuss -- I could come up with nothing.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.