Jeopardy All-Star Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Jeopardy All-Star Games

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:14 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:28 pmThe JEOPARDY! All-Star Games will air over the course of 10 weekdays from Wednesday, February 20 to Friday, March 5, 2019.
Or what in the U.S. we call Tuesday.
Don't be too hard on him; I too get thrown off by the calendar every time Friday the 13th comes on Wednesday like it did this week.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:28 pmThe JEOPARDY! All-Star Games will air over the course of 10 weekdays from Wednesday, February 20 to Friday, March 5, 2019.
Don't be too hard on him; I too get thrown off by the calendar every time Friday the 13th comes on Wednesday like it did this week.
Ha! I found out years ago that my sister and I have the same brain defect. We would wonder to ourselves if our birthdays would ever come on a Friday the 13th. She was born on the 4th of her birth month, I on the 24th of mine.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:07 pm
Ha! I found out years ago that my sister and I have the same brain defect. We would wonder to ourselves if our birthdays would ever come on a Friday the 13th. She was born on the 4th of her birth month, I on the 24th of mine.
Sisters are like that. Mine was 17 before she figured out why she has three brothers but I only have two.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

From Brad Rutter's FB post.

I assume we'll figure out the rules on how players will be split up between rounds shortly.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm guessing they'll interview everyone playing on Day 1, too.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

Maybe they will actually write full questions for the games where they will have a lot of time instead of one word clues like they do today sometimes to save time.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:08 pm From Brad Rutter's FB post.

I assume we'll figure out the rules on how players will be split up between rounds shortly.
It's in the video I posted.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not my circus, not my monkeys ...Will the Archive be able to handle the format with players switching out and days without complete games?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:30 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:07 pm
Sisters are like that. Mine was 17 before she figured out why she has three brothers but I only have two.
:lol:
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:41 pm Not my circus, not my monkeys ...Will the Archive be able to handle the format with players switching out and days without complete games?
RKS and I had some discussions about it earlier this week; there will need to be some further functionality added to the Archive, but it should hopefully be good to go.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Super excited about this! Can't wait to see how Monica pulls off blue AND pink hair simultaneously
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DadofTwins wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:10 pm I'm interested in seeing what they have in mind as a format. 6 teams playing 10 games is weird. You could conceivably have each team play 4 games against some combination of opponents, with the three highest scorers advancing to the final (presumably a 2-game total-point affair), but how it would work with sequestering and all that is hard to imagine.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I just want to know more about how it is supposed to work.
I'm not saying it's a bad idea either, as I haven't seen it. It's just that after watching J! played one way for more than 50 years, any change of this magnitude is likely to be a shock to my system. The very idea of playing J! by committee seems contrived. I'll watch, because I always watch, but my expectation is that it will just be weird.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

No one's talked about lineup strategy so I will

For the first match, I don't think the positioning matters for Team Colby. Colby might want to take the second FJ, but other than that might as well pull the names out of the hat as that team is evenly matched.

Team Brad and team Buzzy have an obvious King Kong player, and I'd actually have the top player skip FJ in this two day format. So one SJ and one DJ for Brad and Alex Jacob, especially since there is a wild card available. We've seen both players dominate he buzzer and clues in regular play in recent appearances, but we've also seen both players miss gettable FJs in recent appearances. Maybe try a different strategy in the final, but I think it's best for these two teams to "run up the score" before FJ.

The other thing to think about for Team Brad is whether you want Brad to face Alex Jacob directly. Like do you want him to "fend" Alex off, or is putting him up against Alex potentially "wasting" Brad's talent? In the first match...I'd opt for the latter.

Unlike Team Brad, team Buzzy has a clear #3 player in Jennifer, who I assume will play FJ in Game 1 and SJ in Game 2.

Game 1 Predictions:

SJ: Alex v Alan v Dave
DJ: Buzzy v Colby v Brad
FJ: Jennifer v Pam v Larissa

Game 2 Predictions:

SJ: Jennifer v Pam v Brad
DJ: Alex v Alan v Larissa
FJ: Buzzy v Colby v Dave
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Monica has been perfect in terms of writing the correct response for final, so she should play it. As for Ken and Matt, they are going to have to decide on which of the first two rounds they want to play when the other match comes up on Monday. Judging from the preview I saw for the first match, it looks like Alan wants to have a rematch with Buzzy, but Larissa is playing against them, unless that was used for a practice game.
Just a person who loves game shows.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:59 pm
The other thing to think about for Team Brad is whether you want Brad to face Alex Jacob directly. Like do you want him to "fend" Alex off, or is putting him up against Alex potentially "wasting" Brad's talent? In the first match...I'd opt for the latter.
My assumption would be that neither team necessarily gets to pick who is going to face whom. It could come down to gamesmanship or psychology but it seems like the logical way to set this up is to have each team submit their lineups independently and then the matchups fall where they may. So if Brad thinks Alex is going to play DJ in the second game, maybe he puts himself in that slot to counter him, but then Buzzy could assume other teams put their strongest player in DJ second game, so he puts Alex in DJ first game hoping to clean up against lesser competition. ("Lesser" being a relative term, of course, given the level of players on all of these teams.) I can't think of how else they could do this, but I'm sure I could be surprised.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I didn't enter that J! All Stars fantasy league nonsense, but interesting that IIRC, scoring is based on # of correct answers, but the WC team gets to play an extra two-game match. Again, this would've been useful to know for anyone who entered.

Predictions:
Match 1: Team Brad
Match 2: Team Ken (I'll give you a second to catch your breath after reading such bold predictions)

WC: Team Buzzy

Final: Team Brad (I like the top-to-bottom strength of Brad/Larissa/Dave just a bit more than the other teams)
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Honestly, the format feels like they looked at NASCAR's Byzantine stage-racing system and said, "Challenge accepted!"
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

J! just posted a video with some pre-game strategy for the first match between Teams Colby-Buzzy-Brad, and they have revealed at least one game's lineups:

Code: Select all

Colby Burnett  	        SJ
Pam Mueller (5) 	FJ
Alan Lin (8)	        DJ

Buzzy Cohen	        DJ
Alex Jacob (1)	        SJ
Jennifer Giles (12)	FJ

Brad Rutter	        SJ
Larissa Kelly (6) 	DJ
David Madden (7)	FJ
Additionally, Team Brad revealed their Game 2 lineup as follows:

Code: Select all

Brad Rutter	        DJ
Larissa Kelly (6) 	FJ
David Madden (7)	SJ
Brad has opted to take both buzzer rounds, but this leaves the door open at this point for both of the other captains to do the same. However, I think Alan will get the two buzzer nod in G2, with Pam playing Double and Colby taking Final. As for Team Buzzy, it's a toss-up. The numbers say that Alex should not get the nod for Final, as he's only 18% lifetime on FJ!. If that's the case, he takes Double in the 2nd game. By default, that means Buzzy plays Final and Jennifer takes Single.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex Jacob and his FJ! clue percentage at 18% is to be taken with a grain of salt as game circumstances too often dictated no need for him to play it legit.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:16 pm Alex Jacob and his FJ! clue percentage at 18% is to be taken with a grain of salt as game circumstances too often dictated no need for him to play it legit.
In 11 appearances, Alex had a lock game eight times. Despite this, he wrote a legit response seven times and was right twice. This brings his "legit" FJ! to 29%.

ETA: Even at 29%, he is still far and away the lowest-ranked of the field on FJ! correct%.