Jeopardy All-Star Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

JayK33
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy All-Star Games

Post by JayK33 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 am

So I'm assuming this will replace the ToC for this season? I'm thinking we probably won't be having the next ToC until November 2019 or so. It makes sense too since we haven't really had 3-time champs in ToCs lately and there are quite a few on the current leaderboard still.

threearruda
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by threearruda » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:51 am

JayK33 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 am
So I'm assuming this will replace the ToC for this season? I'm thinking we probably won't be having the next ToC until November 2019 or so. It makes sense too since we haven't really had 3-time champs in ToCs lately and there are quite a few on the current leaderboard still.
I would like to think your assumption is right, but we can't be sure of this just yet. I agree that another two-year cycle could be a good idea considering how few four and five time champs have taken the stage over the past year, unless there are several in a row coming up whose games will be airing later this fall/winter. If memory serves only one 3x champ has played in a ToC over the last five years?

On the other side of this debate, I saw a tweet recently (TJ!F, I think?) that suggested a February '19 ToC might be possible because the All-Star tourney is taking place in mid-February, leaving the first two weeks of the month open. Usually those weeks contain a college championship, but seeing as how no online test has been conducted for that tourney yet this year, those two weeks could be filled by regular games, a ToC, celebrity week/tourney (baseless speculation, but I would not be surprised by that). At this point it's anyone's guess.

Long story short, we will have to wait a few months more and find out. :)

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Two years between TOCs seems so long, I know we just did it but hopefully they aren't going to make that the new normal. I would think May is a better spot than February, 18 months from the previous TOC and leaves them flexible with the following one to put it in either November or February and be 18 or 21 months later. Whatever would have been in May, college or teachers, could then be in those early February weeks. I wouldn't be a fan of putting the TOC right before the All-Star tournament, it would be kind of a bummer for the TOC qualifiers to be so overshadowed by this big new first-time event.