Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

You are welcome Bud and thanks for sharing some of the names for the other J! players you met. I have updated your J! bio page to reflect your Millionaire appearance. That was nice of the powers to get you on early in the season compared to others that have to wait until May.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Limbal rings
Spoiler
seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:58 pmI made the limbal -> limbic connection too, but I thought, why would they need a different adjective to name related things in the brain? I then made a limbal -> limbo connection, which was still not good enough for me to rule out anything, but I'd like to think that given my own time to think on it, I'd have been able to work my way to the eye with that.

edit: on further research, I have found that limbic and limbal come from the same root, but I still think my "they'd have the same adjective if they were related" reasoning still stands.
Trickier than most $50K level questions, but at least there was a logical path to the right answer. And I agree that limbic region / limbal rings are different enough to make you stop and think hmmm. Not sure what I would have done in that scenario, but I might have gone with eyes, knowing that limbic / limbal just refers to an edge or boundary and rings (plural) fits with eyes.

The producers say that everyone should be able to get to $50K (but they don't tell you that ~10% of players make it to that level). Wonder why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ack. Not sure what I would have done with the football field math question.
Spoiler
I can convert feet to yards but I don't know the length of a football field :oops:
From the given info, I got to 9,600 sq. ft. and then figured it had to be one of the 2 answers ending with 600 and worked backwards to either 300 ft. or 500 ft. long. Probably would have gone with C based on the pattern of A / D almost never being correct in number type questions. Doubt I would have realized that 300 ft. equals 100 yd., a nice round number
Congrats on a great game, Bud. You were fun to watch! I loved the beta blocker question - so funny
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Salt-N-Pepa have been interesting to watch during this celebrity week. They're not great at talking things out, but Pepa's got good instincts (Salt seems to hold back a bit, which talking out could solve; she stays Pepa's hand and Pepa just keeps saying "I really think it's x" with no further explanation).

The best moment was late in the show: they had a $20,000 question (I believe) asking what word among the choices was not an anagram of a word in the lyrics of "The Star-Spangled Banner," with the choices of PRIESTS, LAYER, EMIGRANTS, and TASTES. Although they made it through the lyrics of it (the first verse, anyway), the sticking point was that they didn't know what an anagram was. They had the 50:50 and the +1, and they recognized that the former wouldn't get them out of this dead end. Instead they called on Kid 'n Play from the audience.
Spoiler
Play said he was in the same boat of not knowing what an anagram was; Kid said he could rule out PRIESTS and EMIGRANTS because you could "flip" the words and get "stripes" and "streaming." (He never explained the concept of an anagram beyond "flipping" the choices to get words in the song, but everyone seemed to be on his page after that.) They started going through the lyrics again, and he recognized "early" as an anagram of LAYER. They locked in TASTES as their final answer, and made it to the next episode.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm not a fan of the celebrities, but Salt 'n Pepa were fascinating to watch.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:08 am I'm not a fan of the celebrities, but Salt 'n Pepa were fascinating to watch.
Ditto. Paul Shaffer took so long to shoot his segment that my group all got bumped from Thurs to Monday. Then on Monday they started with 2 daytime TV judges (each playing alone!!). I was the last to go that day, and it even looked like I might get bumped a second time
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 am
alietr wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:08 am I'm not a fan of the celebrities, but Salt 'n Pepa were fascinating to watch.
Ditto. Paul Shaffer took so long to shoot his segment that my group all got bumped from Thurs to Monday. Then on Monday they started with 2 daytime TV judges (each playing alone!!). I was the last to go that day, and it even looked like I might get bumped a second time
I was right after the Backstreet Boys. First I was supposed to be before lunch before them. Then after lunch, but before them. Then, finally (and thankfully since it was the same day), I taped right after them.

I don't know if I've said it here before, but they wanted me out there Friday and Monday. I had already bought a ticket for a business trip on Monday (leaving from DC), so it was really going to screw me up to stay through Monday. I explained the situation to them, and they were kind enough to accommodate me. There were two holdovers from the previous day, and I was the second of our group to tape.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:52 am Salt-N-Pepa have been interesting to watch during this celebrity week. They're not great at talking things out, but Pepa's got good instincts (Salt seems to hold back a bit, which talking out could solve; she stays Pepa's hand and Pepa just keeps saying "I really think it's x" with no further explanation).

The best moment was late in the show: they had a $20,000 question (I believe) asking what word among the choices was not an anagram of a word in the lyrics of "The Star-Spangled Banner," with the choices of PRIESTS, LAYER, EMIGRANTS, and TASTES. Although they made it through the lyrics of it (the first verse, anyway), the sticking point was that they didn't know what an anagram was. They had the 50:50 and the +1, and they recognized that the former wouldn't get them out of this dead end. Instead they called on Kid 'n Play from the audience.
Spoiler
Play said he was in the same boat of not knowing what an anagram was; Kid said he could rule out PRIESTS and EMIGRANTS because you could "flip" the words and get "stripes" and "streaming." (He never explained the concept of an anagram beyond "flipping" the choices to get words in the song, but everyone seemed to be on his page after that.) They started going through the lyrics again, and he recognized "early" as an anagram of LAYER. They locked in TASTES as their final answer, and made it to the next episode.
Salt-N-Pepa PLUS Kid 'n Play are the best thing on television!! Total hot mess - but FUNNY - and they're playing for charity so you want them to win. LMAO :lol:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I've just been wondering, does anyone know if the $1,000 audience contestants are still eligible to participate in the future as regular contestants?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:38 am I've just been wondering, does anyone know if the $1,000 audience contestants are still eligible to participate in the future as regular contestants?
I have no idea, but do you know what the odds are? Especially if you're not young and pretty/handsome? Pretty small that you're picked for either, and then vanishingly small for both. If you do attend, you can always ask there and decline the Thousandaire if it's a problem and you get picked.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:56 am
JayK33 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:38 am I've just been wondering, does anyone know if the $1,000 audience contestants are still eligible to participate in the future as regular contestants?
I have no idea, but do you know what the odds are? Especially if you're not young and pretty/handsome? Pretty small that you're picked for either, and then vanishingly small for both. If you do attend, you can always ask there and decline the Thousandaire if it's a problem and you get picked.
Based on their youth, attractiveness and location (always Vegas or LA), as well as the notion that they wouldn't put you on the air unless you specifically did the paperwork for it first, I'm fairly sure Thousandaire contestants are chosen in advance. If so, you'd have the opportunity to decline in advance.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

acthomas wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 am
Based on their youth, attractiveness and location (always Vegas or LA), as well as the notion that they wouldn't put you on the air unless you specifically did the paperwork for it first, I'm fairly sure Thousandaire contestants are chosen in advance. If so, you'd have the opportunity to decline in advance.
One of the other groups in the Green Room on our taping day was a Las Vegas local they'd pulled out of the audience the day before and another local he'd roped in to be his Plus One. How they chose him remained a mystery, but they also gave his Plus One the paperwork to be a contestant, so they clearly didn't think that appearing as a Plus One precluded appearing as a contestant within a short time span.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The video has a little less than four minutes from the 10/22 episode. Screencaps were not enough and it called for a mini upload to hear the contestant:
Spoiler
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:22 pm The video has a little less than four minutes from the 10/22 episode. Screencaps were not enough and it called for a mini upload to hear the contestant:
Spoiler
My head hurts :shock:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:22 pm The video has a little less than four minutes from the 10/22 episode. Screencaps were not enough and it called for a mini upload to hear the contestant:
Spoiler
After watching each show I check the Archive to see if there are any former players so that I can add a line to their bio. Today I had little expectation of finding a matching name hit.

I suspect Morbeedo is going to wish he had that theater question.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

I know of at least one person to whom this applies. We haven't seen him yet.
アタックチャンス!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:18 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 pm
Spoiler
After watching each show I check the Archive to see if there are any former players so that I can add a line to their bio. Today I had little expectation of finding a matching name hit.

I suspect Morbeedo is going to wish he had that theater question.
I'm glad you (or someone) added that line for Jeremy Davis. He appeared on J! in Sept 2001 so the world was distracted. I've known him now at least 25 years. Back in the day, I was on a pub trivia team with Jeremy and Rex Kramer.
OCSam
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:18 pm

I suspect morbeedo is going to wish he had that theater question.
OOOOH, I better catch up. I didn't get any theater questions in my game, but I recently saw a question about a musical featuring the song 'Halloween' and I had no clue, so really there are no easy questions on Millionaire.

My game keeps coming back to haunt me. Got a news alert on my phone last week related to one question, and another just came up in an episode of the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What are the odds of getting The Call from Jeopardy! less than 3 weeks after taping Millionaire? Asking for a friend
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:37 am
OOOOH, I better catch up. I didn't get any theater questions in my game, but I recently saw a question about a musical featuring the song 'Halloween' and I had no clue, so really there are no easy questions on Millionaire.
Correction: There are no easy questions beyond the $5,000 level on Millionaire.

Twice in today's (Nov. 24) episode, the +1 had no clue to the answer, not even an educated guess. Seems like a +1 would want to huddle with his/her contestant before the taping and say, "OK the following are my strong suits, and categories where I might have a reasonable guess." Might avoid wasting a lifeline for no reason.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A video of the portion that matters for the 10/25 episode. Definitely a spoiler.
Spoiler