Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:49 pm Well so far this week, a $0 winner, a $100,000 winner, and a $50,000 winner. I wonder what the rest of the week has in store for us?
The player who concluded the show:
Spoiler
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2294 had a tough loss in #4. Nice work by Shannon Thomas to get the big pay day as she struggled through her stack yet managed to see the 100K Q.
mrfusion
Contributor

Post by mrfusion »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:01 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:49 pm Well so far this week, a $0 winner, a $100,000 winner, and a $50,000 winner. I wonder what the rest of the week has in store for us?
Well, the current contestant is a J! veteran (who would have made the ToC if not for a fateful cross-out in his fourth game), so we'll see.
Ugh, don't remind me :( Would still have to win a fifth game ...
Actually, I was surprised when they came back with a new contestant in the last segment of the show. Usually, when they go to commercial after a contestant finishes and present the Question of the Day, they play Thousandaire when they come back.
I wonder if it's because we went through the questions quickly? I didn't want to be one of those people who "think through" those easy questions out loud, though I couldn't resist making some commentary.
It turns out that, in any case, the H-bomb was also developed under Truman
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mrfusion wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:39 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:01 pm
Well, the current contestant is a J! veteran (who would have made the ToC if not for a fateful cross-out in his fourth game), so we'll see.
Ugh, don't remind me :( Would still have to win a fifth game ...
Sorry, it was intended to be complimentary, but I probably would have phrased it a little more gently than that if I'd remembered you were here.

And the 2007 ToC had two three-time champions, so the fourth would have gotten you in for sure.
mrfusion
Contributor

Post by mrfusion »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 pm And the 2007 ToC had two three-time champions, so the fourth would have gotten you in for sure.
Not. Helping. :D

Seriously though, it was so long ago I don't mind - and being on the show at all was an amazing experience.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:19 am Idaho - not falling for a Diamond Head trap since I was not thinking D was a letter
I was able to rule out D as a letter because of the old joke about going to school in Hawaii. Since they don't have B's, C's, D's or F's, you're guaranteed straight A's.
earendel

Post by earendel »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 pmI'd love to trade his $50K question about popular vote winners / election losers for my Sesame Street question. Just not ready to let that one go ;)
Trust me, it's hard. After 18 years, I still can't let my $125K question go.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Shannon was in my taping group. She sat in the corner and was pretty quiet. I'm glad she did as well as she did. She was like a cat up there with (almost) 9 lives. I would have had some problems with that stack, too, though.

And best of luck on the rest, Bruce!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

mrfusion wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:21 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 pm And the 2007 ToC had two three-time champions, so the fourth would have gotten you in for sure.
Not. Helping. :D

Seriously though, it was so long ago I don't mind - and being on the show at all was an amazing experience.
Best of retroactive luck Bruce! We used to play quizbowl against each other in the '90s (omg 20 years ago) and both went to Queen's (omg 30 years ago for me).

boson/ Rob Knobel
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Well, $10k seems like a pretty low level to get that arbitrarily hard. I guess the writers thought Oprah's car giveaway is enough of a pop culture touchstone that naming the car model would be a reasonable mid-level Q, but the results didn't really bear that out.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:21 pm Well, $10k seems like a pretty low level to get that arbitrarily hard. I guess the writers thought Oprah's car giveaway is enough of a pop culture touchstone that naming the car model would be a reasonable mid-level Q, but the results didn't really bear that out.
Completely agree, thought that belonged a slot or two up the board at the absolute least. I had no idea, and was leaning Taurus without any reason. Sorry to see that, Bruce, but I hope you enjoyed playing and that the $5k is an adequate consolation prize.

Was not a huge fan of Robin's seasons question either. It wasn't too hard and I understand the writers were going for astronomical seasons, but I hear of meteorological seasons on the news every now and then. Their dates differ a bit (March-May for spring, June-August for summer, etc.) which could create some ambiguity if you just say "season". Besides, the meteorological dates are significantly easier to remember. :D Too much learnin', I guess, but on we go. *shrug*
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:20 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:21 pm Well, $10k seems like a pretty low level to get that arbitrarily hard. I guess the writers thought Oprah's car giveaway is enough of a pop culture touchstone that naming the car model would be a reasonable mid-level Q, but the results didn't really bear that out.
Completely agree, thought that belonged a slot or two up the board at the absolute least. I had no idea, and was leaning Taurus without any reason. Sorry to see that, Bruce, but I hope you enjoyed playing and that the $5k is an adequate consolation prize.

Was not a huge fan of Robin's seasons question either. It wasn't too hard and I understand the writers were going for astronomical seasons, but I hear of meteorological seasons on the news every now and then. Their dates differ a bit (March-May for spring, June-August for summer, etc.) which could create some ambiguity if you just say "season". Besides, the meteorological dates are significantly easier to remember. :D Too much learnin', I guess, but on we go. *shrug*
When Robin named Good Friday as the only spring federal holiday I knew she was in trouble. Oprah's car was indeed a value misplacement.

The audience was not very helpful today, going 0/2. Usually in such cases I would disagree with the contestant using that lifeline first as too many times the players have the simple mentality that the ATA is always the first help to use. Today, I will concede that Oprah and the calendar/holiday does not scream audience unfriendly.

For those who do not watch and are only trying to piece together the questions: (Summarizing)

What kind of car did Oprah give away to the 275 audience members? 10K
What is the season with only one federal holiday? 7K
mrfusion
Contributor

Post by mrfusion »

In retrospect I should have used the 50:50 lifeline but I was a bit too risk-on. And even if I had, I likely wouldn't have chosen the answer that only 12% of the audience voted for earlier.

I've been thinking about this question a lot (obviously) and I wonder if the entry point is that we were supposed to know the Oprah promotion was
Spoiler
the launch of that specific car model.
That fact would allow you to (easily?) eliminate a few of the other options. Maybe that's why the writers thought it was a a $10K question.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I wouldn't expect a lot of people in the audience to know the Oprah car but I was surprised to see that essentially no one knew it. Even assuming that close to 100% of them were guessing, I can't figure out why they so solidly went away from the right answer.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:23 pm I wouldn't expect a lot of people in the audience to know the Oprah car but I was surprised to see that essentially no one knew it. Even assuming that close to 100% of them were guessing, I can't figure out why they so solidly went away from the right answer.
Knew it before the MC showed up, mostly because I'm a car guy. The G6 replaced the Grand Am in the Pontiac lineup and was a rather boring car, and with the demise of Pontiac a few years later, little remembered and rarely seen on the roads.

It wasn't a big seller, even though only a few years earlier, its predecessor (that Grand Am) was the best selling car in its class.

I think most people in the audience never heard of the G6, so they simply didn't pick it for that reason.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

You wuz robbed, Bruce. Pure and simple. That was ridiculous placement for that question. I agree that it's a cultural touchstone, but not the specifics of it. It was definitely the right question for ATA and I was also surprised they didn't know it. I was leaning toward the G6, but I really can't say why. It was just a feeling.

And yeah, once she said Good Friday I knew she wasn't going to get there. I said summer right off the bat, but I definitely would have thought through more carefully and realized 4th of July and Labor Day fit within the definition of summer.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I knew every question from today's game.

Muffy's brother was the contestant today. He made it all the way to the $30,000 question with all three lifelines.

The question was which is not one of the grapes used in champagne.

Thanks to my long surfs on the Archive, I know that Zinfandel is a California grape.

Peter first used the 50-50, and it narrowed it down to Meurier and Zinfandel. Peter said he was leaning towards Meurier. A moment later, he asked the audience. 69% Meurier, 31% Zinfandel. A three-peat audience fail. There is a good chance that Muffy would have known the answer.
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:33 pm I knew every question from today's game.

Muffy's brother was the contestant today. He made it all the way to the $30,000 question with all three lifelines.

Thanks to my long surfs on the Archive, I know that Zinfandel is a California grape.

Peter first used the 50-50, and it narrowed it down to Meurier and Zinfandel. Peter said he was leaning towards Meurier. A moment later, he asked the audience. 69% Meurier, 31% Zinfandel. A three-peat audience fail. There is a good chance that Muffy would have known the answer.
Just a quibble: it's Meunier, not Meurier.
mrfusion
Contributor

Post by mrfusion »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:23 pm I wouldn't expect a lot of people in the audience to know the Oprah car but I was surprised to see that essentially no one knew it. Even assuming that close to 100% of them were guessing, I can't figure out why they so solidly went away from the right answer.
Spite, presumably
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:32 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:33 pm I knew every question from today's game.

Ok, having now seen the episode, Ibcan say that it was a flawed question. The three varieties are Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay. There is no single variety named Pinot, nor is there one named Meunier.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:32 pm

Another quibble: Zinfandel is not a California grape. It was imported. I would probably have gotten it, since Zinfandel is the only one that doesn't sound French. And the French are very picky about their wines.

Muffy and Peter were in the Green Room with me. I enjoyed hanging out with them. Muffy is certainly a trip and a half. It was a shame she didn't get on.