Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by threearruda »

Very cool to see several former J! champs lately - congrats to all! From Wednesday game - instaget on the NASCAR tracks question (big racing fan).
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:22 pm Only 25% of the audience knew Maggie Gyllenhaal even with choices?!?!

You would think the Audience would do well with this category.

I too was surprised with that result, tough break for Tony. (ETA: I didn't know it either, not a celebrity buff).
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
goongas

Post by goongas »

triviawayne wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:58 pm
goongas wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:26 pm I don't understand Wayne why you think ABC values this property anymore? The show has run its course. It never was a ratings success in syndication. If they would rather revive other 80s game shows for this summer instead of celebrating the 20th anniversary of the show, why do you think they would want to hold onto the rights for the future? The last time they put it in primetime, the ratings were not good. Maybe the best we can hope for is Sony selling the rights to a streaming service?
The value is because they could bring it back anytime they want if they own it. Look at what happened with Family Feud, a show that ran its course after about 15 years and came back a few years later...then 20 years later still going strong.

You mentioned the summer games, but why would ABC have this one on when the syndicated one is still going (OK, just ended, but that just happened)? There is no reason they couldn't have it for a week next summer; in fact it would be in their best interest so they can keep ownership instead of giving it away to Sony.

One part I don't know is how many episodes or how long between episodes is the requirement for Disney to keep it. They could easily bring it back for one week each year to own it, if that would meet the requirement.

Disney is also starting a streaming service, they could simply put it on there.

The quote published in Variety stated it will not be syndicated next season, it did not say will go out of production or has been cancelled--another reason I say the fat lady hasn't begun to sing.
I just went to the show's audition site, it now says "No Longer Available" when you click on submit your application, so I don't believe they are immediately going to produce new episodes. For my sake, I hope I am wrong, but I don't see it airing any time soon. Netflix has what I believe is its first studio game show debuting in June, which is a million dollar game show called Awake. Maybe there is some hope for somebody to buy it for streaming...I didn't realize it was ten years ago when ABC last aired WWTBAM in primetime, but back then, the syndicated game was airing.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:42 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:58 pm
goongas wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:26 pm I don't understand Wayne why you think ABC values this property anymore? The show has run its course. It never was a ratings success in syndication. If they would rather revive other 80s game shows for this summer instead of celebrating the 20th anniversary of the show, why do you think they would want to hold onto the rights for the future? The last time they put it in primetime, the ratings were not good. Maybe the best we can hope for is Sony selling the rights to a streaming service?
The value is because they could bring it back anytime they want if they own it. Look at what happened with Family Feud, a show that ran its course after about 15 years and came back a few years later...then 20 years later still going strong.

You mentioned the summer games, but why would ABC have this one on when the syndicated one is still going (OK, just ended, but that just happened)? There is no reason they couldn't have it for a week next summer; in fact it would be in their best interest so they can keep ownership instead of giving it away to Sony.

One part I don't know is how many episodes or how long between episodes is the requirement for Disney to keep it. They could easily bring it back for one week each year to own it, if that would meet the requirement.

Disney is also starting a streaming service, they could simply put it on there.

The quote published in Variety stated it will not be syndicated next season, it did not say will go out of production or has been cancelled--another reason I say the fat lady hasn't begun to sing.
I just went to the show's audition site, it now says "No Longer Available" when you click on submit your application, so I don't believe they are immediately going to produce new episodes. For my sake, I hope I am wrong, but I don't see it airing any time soon. Netflix has what I believe is its first studio game show debuting in June, which is a million dollar game show called Awake. Maybe there is some hope for somebody to buy it for streaming...I didn't realize it was ten years ago when ABC last aired WWTBAM in primetime, but back then, the syndicated game was airing.
It was for the 10th Anniversary.

What we don't know is the timeframe Disney has before the rights would go to Sony. The last produced episode was near the end of August, 2018, but it airs next week (should be the 2nd chance week they said they wanted me for, but then didn't invite me for...such is life). Disney could potentially make 5 episodes in 2020 for airing in the summer of 2020 and that might meet the requirements. We don't know the timeframe, we don't know the minimum number of episodes.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Like Liz, I sailed through $10,000 - $50,000.

$50,000 Question:

Japan: Tokyo 1960(Summer), Sapporo 1972(Winter), Nagano 1998(Winter)

Italy: Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956(Winter), Rome 1960(Summer), Turin 2006(Winter)

Canada: Montreal 1976(Summer), Calgary 1988(Winter), Vancouver 2010(Winter)

France: Paris 1900(Summer), Paris 1924(Summer), Chamonix 1924(Winter), Grenoble 1968(Winter), Albertville 1992(Winter)
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sat May 25, 2019 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew the $100k question cold. On another message board I spent much of the early '00s on, there was another member who voraciously consumes music and music journalism/criticism, and one time he shared a review of the album in question. It would have been pretty wild if I'd been on this show and gotten this question, because he has me blocked on social media, and I would have thanked him by name anyway.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 pm I knew the $100k question cold. On another message board I spent much of the early '00s on, there was another member who voraciously consumes music and music journalism/criticism, and one time he shared a review of the album in question. It would have been pretty wild if I'd been on this show and gotten this question, because he has me blocked on social media, and I would have thanked him by name anyway.
Since it was a free guess, I would have gotten the $100k. I knew the $250k cold. I would have gone for it immediately. Good going, Liz!
LucarioSnooperVixey

Wow three consecutive posts. The first one mentioning they knew the 50k cold. The second one mentioning they knew the 100k cold. And the third one mentioning they knew the 250k cold. :o
Douglas Squasoni
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Couldn't have summed it up better myself.
It was absolutely a case of overthinking it. When I saw the answer to the final question, I thought it was too easy, obvious, and therefore a decoy. So I tried to rationalize it to being something else. And.....#thearistocrats

The moral of the story is don't overthink shit.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:18 pm The 5/21 episode has a J! champ and board member: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9861

All of the 5-figure questions in one swoop
Spoiler
$10,000

$20,000

$30,000
Lifeline usage:
Spoiler
The ATA was burned early at 5K for the sport associated with Salchow. Choyon used the 50:50 for the songs and it left C & D. The +1 John helped Choyon work through the options.
Correct answers:
Spoiler
Don’t Stop Believin’, Karen, and Avocado’s Number Guacamole
What happened and comments:
Spoiler
Choyon worked through the food choices, understood the play on Avogadro’s number and yet went Boyle in somehow thinking it was about there not being that many grains of rice in the bag.

The miss was a WTF moment as Choyon had it and overthought it. The stage and lights effect for this show must be completely unlike playing J! for real. Tough to see considering how many others got bastard $30K questions this season and can only wish they had this one.

No thank you for me on the song question as trying to sing songs in my head with background music is not a skill I have even if I know all the songs well.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
LucarioSnooperVixey

You know you're having a good day when you know all of the questions in the episode before choices came up.

Lauren's father's knowledge of Adele was astonishing.
Douglas Squasoni
goongas

Post by goongas »

What we don't know is the timeframe Disney has before the rights would go to Sony. The last produced episode was near the end of August, 2018, but it airs next week (should be the 2nd chance week they said they wanted me for, but then didn't invite me for...such is life). Disney could potentially make 5 episodes in 2020 for airing in the summer of 2020 and that might meet the requirements. We don't know the timeframe, we don't know the minimum number of episodes.
According to the below link, the rights would go back to Sony in three years time.

http://buzzerblog.com/2015/04/17/what-m ... n-the-air/
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:47 pm
According to the below link, the rights would go back to Sony in three years time.

http://buzzerblog.com/2015/04/17/what-m ... n-the-air/
OK, but three years after what? Last date of production? Last airdate? How many episodes must there be before the three year clock would start? Is it possible that ABC could make a single episode every 2 years and 364 days to keep the rights? Does it even have to air on TV or is on a streaming service good enough?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Scooter was certainly ... animated. Great story about the LV shootings.

So, Friday is it, right? Only reruns after that?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:47 am Scooter was certainly ... animated. Great story about the LV shootings.

So, Friday is it, right? Only reruns after that?
yes
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:50 pm You know you're having a good day when you know all of the questions in the episode before choices came up.

Let's see you get today's Donald Trump movie cameo question right before the choices come up. :lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:52 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:50 pm You know you're having a good day when you know all of the questions in the episode before choices came up.

Let's see you get today's Donald Trump movie cameo question right before the choices come up. :lol:
Haven't seen the episode yet, but I assume it's about him in Home Alone 2.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:42 pm

That's the easy one. The question has three movies in which he has cameos and the contestant had to name the 4th with no DT cameo. Therefore, give the right answer without choices. :D
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:59 pm

That's the easy one. The question has three movies in which he has cameos and the contestant had to name the 4th with no DT cameo. Therefore, give the right answer without choices. :D
Got it right, but only with choices. Never heard of Two Weeks Notice but have seen Love Actually and was certain Trump did not appear in it.
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:59 pm

Got it right, but only with choices. Never heard of Two Weeks Notice but have seen Love Actually and was certain Trump did not appear in it.
Love Actually is English, so unlikely Trump would have been asked to participate. Of course, it includes an American president played by Billy Bob Thornton as a pseudo-Clinton, representing everything that's vulgar and crass about the American character, so offending Hugh Grant's prime minister that they reach a low point in the "special relationship." It hasn't aged well...
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

When you bring back contestants who were crappy the first time, and then allow them to act like this, you get your show canceled.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:05 pm When you bring back contestants who were crappy the first time, and then allow them to act like this, you get your show canceled.
Eugene is a dear friend of mine and your comments are decidedly not excellent towards him.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan