Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the video for the 10/8 show. I was not expecting to share today, so I missed the beginning and slightly clipped some of the other segments. The questions and answers are there as that is what matters.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ts81U ... BCMYj9EVCE
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:43 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:33 pm So I heard that Brett Lazer, who I met at TCONA, and who works for Fleetwit trivia, was to be on Millonaire today. But then I came home and saw that my DVR did not record the show. The rest of this week’s episodes are also not set to record because aren’t listed as new episodes. The original airdates show them as being first aired the week of 9/17 to 9/21. Does this mean they were aired in the secondary slot on those dates for double run markets? The confusing thing is that I thought I watched all of the episodes so far this season as my station airs both, but I don’t remember seeing Brett. Maybe I missed a day and its as simple as that but I wonder if anyone else can confirm if this show was already shown?
Brett Lazer was on today's show. It was first run. For double run markets one show is new and one show is a rerun. I'll call the reruns the B games. Last week the B games were the A games from the 9/10 week. This week it is the 9/17 week. For the A run it will be new episodes until I'm guessing the week of Dec. 24, 31 and Jan. 7th. Those three weeks will have the first run B games that aired 9/10 - 9/28.
Thanks Mark, I figured you'd have the answers. Seems it's an issue of my U-Verse guide having the wrong airdates, as it thinks this entire week of A shows are ones I've already seen, so I'll have to make it record them manually. Hopefully this is a one time thing and won't recur repeatedly throughout the season.

Thanks also for the upload, will check it out!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This video is a good taste of the 10/9 episode though it does not have every question: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Njrbj ... bMVdKNMj1t
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 am This is the video for the 10/8 show. I was not expecting to share today, so I missed the beginning and slightly clipped some of the other segments. The questions and answers are there as that is what matters.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ts81U ... BCMYj9EVCE
I missed this episode, so thanks. When I saw Brett going for the $100k today, I knew I wanted to see how he got there.
I thought I'd share his $30k question here, mostly because I'm proud of myself for getting it right.

Signed into law in 2001, the USA PATRIOT Act includes all but which of these words in its acronym?
A. Tracking B. Obstruct C. Providing D. Intercept
Spoiler
I remembered "providing appropriate tools required" from this FJ in the 2004 ToC, so I could immediately rule out "providing." "Intercept" and "obstruct" as choices jogged my memory just enough to make me pretty sure the final T was "terrorism." Plus, once that had fallen into place, I didn't think "tracking" would make sense at the end of the acronym. Since I had both T's accounted for, I was certain that "tracking" could not be in it.

In his $100k question today, he was asked what the P.F. in P.F. Chang's stood for, with the choices being A. Pei Fu B. Pan-Asian Food C. Paul Fleming D. Pan-to-Fork.
Spoiler
I heard fairly recently elsewhere, though I can't remember if it was during pub quiz or in a trivia app, that two guys, one white and one of Chinese descent, founded it and named it after themselves, with the white guy getting the initials, so Paul Fleming was an easy get for me. Though I almost certainly didn't know it at the time the episode was taped, I think with this stack, knowing what I knew as I watched it, I could have gotten to the $250k question without using lifelines.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 pmIn his $100k question today, he was asked what the P.F. in P.F. Chang's stood for, with the choices being A. Pei Fu B. Pan-Asian Food C. Paul Fleming D. Pan-to-Fork.
Spoiler
I heard fairly recently elsewhere, though I can't remember if it was during pub quiz or in a trivia app, that two guys, one white and one of Chinese descent, founded it and named it after themselves, with the white guy getting the initials, so Paul Fleming was an easy get for me. Though I almost certainly didn't know it at the time the episode was taped, I think with this stack, knowing what I knew as I watched it, I could have gotten to the $250k question without using lifelines.
Spoiler
Funny that he didn’t know Maine Coon or Paul Fleming, when I would have wet my pants to see those questions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It did seem, though, that he was about to pick Pei Fu or Paul Fleming, then got derailed
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One question from the 10/10 episode with a board member sighting:
Spoiler
$5,000

Karen Robinson called down Jeff Richmond to help.  Movies are not the specialty for Jeff, but he was certain Rita Moreno was correct.  The eliminated choices were Tippi Hedren & Julie Andrews.  Host Chris acknowledged having met Jeff previously when Jeff won $100,000 on the show. Karen moved on to play the $7,000 question.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:10 pm One question from the 10/10 episode with a board member sighting:
Spoiler
$5,000

Karen Robinson called down Jeff Richmond to help.  Movies are not the specialty for Jeff, but he was certain Rita Moreno was correct.  The eliminated choices were Tippi Hedren & Julie Andrews.  Host Chris acknowledged having met Jeff previously when Jeff won $100,000 on the show. Karen moved on to play the $7,000 question.
Now there's a question with Style 3
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:10 pm One question from the 10/10 episode with a board member sighting:
Spoiler
$5,000

I'll never understand why a contestant like Karen with a strong +1 like Jeff ($100,000 winner) would waste her 50/50 before calling him down from the audience. (Maria Von Trapp or Tippi Hedren in West Side Story? Really?)

Jeff knew it right away, and she could've saved her 50/50 for an even-money shot at $10,000 on the Dr. Oz question instead of bowing out with $7K.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Just FYI to Brett Lazer or anyone else who wants to have or even just pet a cat but is allergic...

If the cat in question is a Maine Coon, go ahead. VERY unlikely to have an allergic reaction. The breed is known to be non-allergenic.

I knew a woman that LOVED cats, but was allergic. However, her husband (who also wanted a cat) heard the above bit of info. They went
to a breeder, and the woman in question spent well over an hour petting the Maine Coon kitties on display. Absolutely no sneezing, watery eyes, itching... And the kitties were fine, too. :)

They went home with two, now known as Barnum & Bailey.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Kenny wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 pm
Spoiler
$5,000

I'll never understand why a contestant like Karen with a strong +1 like Jeff ($100,000 winner) would waste her 50/50 before calling him down from the audience. (Maria Von Trapp or Tippi Hedren in West Side Story? Really?)

Jeff knew it right away, and she could've saved her 50/50 for an even-money shot at $10,000 on the Dr. Oz question instead of bowing out with $7K.
Yeah, but you're not really thinking clearly up there with Chris and the audience staring at you, waiting for you to say something. That said, I don't think I've ever seen anyone walk with $7K, but it's $2K more than some people leave with, and the equivalent of 7 Thousandaires :)

Karen was adorable. I was really rooting for her, but the questions didn't go her way. I eat freekeh a few times a week at a Lebanese place near work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Funny that Today's Word on wordsmith.org was backronym:

When naming something, sometimes a suitable name is chosen and then an acronym is retrofitted on top of it: USA PATRIOT Act
Spoiler
Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:07 pm This is the video for the complete 10/12 episode. 
Spoiler
Two J! alums make an appearance:
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=218

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5161
Spoiler
I would have made the same choice as Bud and Tom did, for exactly the same reason.
In this case, "limbal" refers to the corneal limbus, the border between the cornea and the sclera (white of the eye).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:07 pm This is the video for the complete 10/12 episode. 
Spoiler

Whoa! Budphrey and TomKBaltimoreBoy. Must see TV for me!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:10 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
I would have made the same choice as Bud and Tom did, for exactly the same reason.
In this case, "limbal" refers to the corneal limbus, the border between the cornea and the sclera (white of the eye).
Count me in on that reasoning, too

I would say that this is
Spoiler
a prime example of a negbait clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
I made the limbal -> limbic connection too, but I thought, why would they need a different adjective to name related things in the brain? I then made a limbal -> limbo connection, which was still not good enough for me to rule out anything, but I'd like to think that given my own time to think on it, I'd have been able to work my way to the eye with that.

edit: on further research, I have found that limbic and limbal come from the same root, but I still think my "they'd have the same adjective if they were related" reasoning still stands.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Kenny wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 pm I'll never understand why a contestant like Karen with a strong +1 like Jeff ($100,000 winner) would waste her 50/50 before calling him down from the audience. (Maria Von Trapp or Tippi Hedren in West Side Story? Really?)

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:04 am Yeah, but you're not really thinking clearly up there with Chris and the audience staring at you, waiting for you to say something. That said, I don't think I've ever seen anyone walk with $7K, but it's $2K more than some people leave with, and the equivalent of 7 Thousandaires :)
I disagree. When you aren't prepared there's no way you're going to think clearly. In this case, the contestant probably hadn't gone over the LL possibilities and what to do in varying circumstances, so naturally the brain starts to short circuit and make silly decisions. Contestants that are properly prepared are much more likely to think clearly.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:58 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
I made the limbal -> limbic connection too, but I thought, why would they need a different adjective to name related things in the brain? I then made a limbal -> limbo connection, which was still not good enough for me to rule out anything, but I'd like to think that given my own time to think on it, I'd have been able to work my way to the eye with that.

edit: on further research, I have found that limbic and limbal come from the same root, but I still think my "they'd have the same adjective if they were related" reasoning still stands.
I agree with all of the above and would add that that clue stands in stark opposition to the assurance that “you won’t see trick questions here” that we received on set.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spoiler
Ouch. That one hurt. Like watching a car crash in slow motion. So sorry to see that, Bud. FWIW, I would have assigned a 70% likelihood to the brain as well. On the football field question, I was surprised the 50/50 took away 48,000. They usually leave you with the two likeliest, but I guess they were assuming you'd forget to make the feet/yards conversion.

Tom was my +1 for my aborted Stamford appearance. I'm glad he finally got the chance to get on as opposed to sitting there all day for naught.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Hi there and thanks a million to Mark!
Spoiler
and gratitude to all for the kind words. Tom was a great and loyal companion during the REALLY tedious process leading to the taping, in addition to helping eliminate the "knee" option. When I say tedious I mean we sat in the green room (not nearly as homey as Jeopardy!'s) for the entire first taping day and half the next. Fortunately we got to hobnob with lots of J! alums ... I'm going to forget some names, but among them, between the contestants and Plus Ones, were Liz Quesnelle, Catherine Hardee, Claudia Perry, David Abbott, Robert Dimitri, John Beck, Choyon Manjrekar, ... Tom, if you're looking, maybe you can remember others.

As for the outcome, I had made a big deal of staying humble in my little pep talks to myself, and evidently let that slide in the lust to see that $100k question. Also it appears I really did overdo my anti-hyperventilation method. But it was great fun and the Dear Wife and I got to reconnect with a good friend.
Last edited by Budphrey on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

alietr wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:17 am
Spoiler
Ouch. That one hurt. Like watching a car crash in slow motion. So sorry to see that, Bud. FWIW, I would have assigned a 70% likelihood to the brain as well. On the football field question, I was surprised the 50/50 took away 48,000. They usually leave you with the two likeliest, but I guess they were assuming you'd forget to make the feet/yards conversion.

Tom was my +1 for my aborted Stamford appearance. I'm glad he finally got the chance to get on as opposed to sitting there all day for naught.
Spoiler
They did tell me after the taping that it was really good TV. :lol:

As for the math question, in retrospect and with less camera pressure, I see I could have saved the 50/50 lifeline by reasoning that it was 48,000 plus a little more, even if I had initially missed the calculation of the "little more." But I had it in mind that the 50/50 is next to useless in most cases, so if it was useful for clearing my head I may as well take advantage of that. And it appears to have served that purpose.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.