Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

Great job, Mara! And nice save, Idris! Good to have boardies team up like that. Thank goodness you didn't end up as one of those "Well, I'm just going to go ahead an guess" types. $25k is a lot to give up.

I thought Bob's favorite was a quokka. Pudu was an instaget, though. I was shaky on Mad Max, but probably would have gone for it.
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:11 pm
teapot37 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:03 pm The pudu is a favorite of Jeopardy! alum Bob Harris.
Yeah, when she didn't immediately lock in A, I thought, "Too bad, she hasn't read Prisoner of Trebekistan."
Crap, I've read it twice and didn't remember that at all.

And yet thanks to both Scrabble and TV, I could tell you what FUGU and KURU are without hesitation.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

"Luncheon on the Grass" a $50,000 question!?!?! They're joking right?
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:17 pm "Luncheon on the Grass" a $50,000 question!?!?! They're joking right?
Like you I did not need choices.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:24 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:17 pm "Luncheon on the Grass" a $50,000 question!?!?! They're joking right?
Instaget. Though I may have confused it with The Boating Party.

Am I crazy, or did Addie talk about that bolt during her interview on Jeopardy 3 years ago?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:10 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:24 pm
Instaget. Though I may have confused it with The Boating Party.

Am I crazy, or did Addie talk about that bolt during her interview on Jeopardy 3 years ago?
I cannot answer for your sanity, but I was curious enough to check on Addie's chat. She and her family hosted a Japanese exchange student who liked to take pictures including the host of J! the best-looking Western man she has seen. Alex capped it with a bow and, "Arigato."
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Always nice to see another J! alum appear, Addie played a great game.
Eh, there have been easier $50k questions this season in my opinion. Remember too that Millionaire doesn't always cater to the same intellectual audience that J! might. Art questions tend to appear in the $30-$50k range here because that might not be something the "average person" knows a lot about, whereas it's easy fodder for some (most?) of us boardies with solid academic backgrounds. But then again, what do I know. :D

I mix up titles of Renoir and Manet's work frequently for some reason, so I needed the choices, but landed on the right side this time.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

No, they are not. I remember in the RP-era it being the subject of a $500K question.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

never heard of it before...should have been 1 mil in my opinion
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 pm Always nice to see another J! alum appear, Addie played a great game.
Eh, there have been easier $50k questions this season in my opinion. Remember too that Millionaire doesn't always cater to the same intellectual audience that J! might. Art questions tend to appear in the $30-$50k range here because that might not be something the "average person" knows a lot about, whereas it's easy fodder for some (most?) of us boardies with solid academic backgrounds. But then again, what do I know. :D

I mix up titles of Renoir and Manet's work frequently for some reason, so I needed the choices, but landed on the right side this time.

totally agree...there have been a few 100k and 250k questions over the years that were instagets and didn't need the choices...when it comes to art....no fricking clue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

you seem to know a lot...always seems you never miss a final jeopardy question...how about you compete against us peons in TDs sometime?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Boardie and one-and-done Donnie Edgemon is on today.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Donnie's end was disappointing. He surprised me by going against his +1.

After that lifeline on a $250,000 question, the next contestant used hers on $3,000. The lifeline had some very dodgy etymology in explaining the word "altruist"; it sounded like she just knew the answer and tried to make stuff up to justify it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:20 pm Donnie's end was disappointing. He surprised me by going against his +1.
That was a shocker. Trent went home with $5K in his own game when Donnie steered him away from the right answer. Weird symmetry there.

I like how Donnie played the game. I thought I had the same strategy going in, but didn’t have the nerve to guess when I should have.

Good play on the $50K question. I started sewing recently and felt good about the needle having the scarf, shank and groove.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Yeah that was a strange end to Donnie's game. He played extremely well, though.
Spoiler
I don't know how, but something randomly and suddenly clicked for me like it did for him at $50k and I would have locked in sewing needle as well. Worked out $100k in the same way he did (FDR - 12 years, involvement in Vietnam was about ten/eleven years, Apollo stops mid '70s) and landed correctly on Prohibition.

$250k - Los Del Rio I knew were Spanish so those names wouldn't line up. Spice Girls seemed off, and Woodstock didn't seem to fit either -- I read an article recently about how one of the original organizers was coming back for the 50th anniversary concert. Probably 50/50 for me, then lock in B.

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Great job, Donnie. He had a pretty easy stack, until they ... weren't. The math was definitely there to take a guess. I was leaning Spice Girls, but once he 50/50ed, I was about 80% confident that if they were associated with Woodstock, I'd have heard their names sometime (and I looked it up ... there were actually 4 for Woodstock, one of which I definitely remembered), so I was reasonably sure it was going to be Milli. He played his game, Chris loved it, the audience loved it, and I'll bet the producers did, too.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I felt like I had heard of those names before, and it seemed to me that I was more likely to have read up on Milli Vanilli than any of the other four choices. After the 50:50 (full disclosure: I had already looked up Milli Vanilli and confirmed my hunch by then), I imagined that no one was calling themselves "Brad" yet at the time of Woodstock.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:28 pm I felt like I had heard of those names before, and it seemed to me that I was more likely to have read up on Milli Vanilli than any of the other four choices. After the 50:50 (full disclosure: I had already looked up Milli Vanilli and confirmed my hunch by then), I imagined that no one was calling themselves "Brad" yet at the time of Woodstock.
And, FTR, Woodstock is usually credited as being the brainchild of 4 men: Michael Lang, Artie Kornfeld, Joel Rosenman and John P. Roberts.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I think we can officially end all debate about the easiest $50k question of the year with today's game.
Spoiler

Charlie had no lifelines and walked without a guess, he said he had it between A and D. Croatia, of course, is the correct answer. Can't blame you if you aren't totally certain in that particular situation, and $30k is no small amount.

Still though, in my eyes that's a pretty basic political geography question that I think lots of board members would get quickly. I did at least. (ETA: Recalled my high school history teacher explaining the trick about Croatia eating B&H). Just goes to show how different the audience is that Millionaire caters to as compared to J!

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Another incredibly easy $50,000 question today. I suppose there are more people here who are into Countries rather than Art. ;)
Douglas Squasoni