Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

It’s crazy that some kid won more money in the first episode of Card Sharks than anyone in Millionaire’s entire 17th season
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:41 pm It’s crazy that some kid won more money in the first episode of Card Sharks than anyone in Millionaire’s entire 17th season
What was crazier was the second part of the episode and the bonus round. The contestant had $23K and an 8, so he bet $4k on lower. An ace came up so dropped to $19K. With that ace showing he bet $15K on lower. Another ace came up and he dropped to $4K. He bet all of his $4K on lower and I'll be damned and he be pissed, another ace came up to bankrupt him. :o
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:20 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:41 pm It’s crazy that some kid won more money in the first episode of Card Sharks than anyone in Millionaire’s entire 17th season
What was crazier was the second part of the episode and the bonus round. The contestant had $23K and an 8, so he bet $4k on lower. An ace came up so dropped to $19K. With that ace showing he bet $15K on lower. Another ace came up and he dropped to $4K. He bet all of his $4K on lower and I'll be damned and he be pissed, another ace came up to bankrupt him. :o
That sounds...statistically questionable.

And it seems the player only has 'higher' and 'lower' options. A tie makes it wrong either way. That feels like a rule violation. If you, the player, are given two options, only those options should be possible. It'd be like WWTBAM suddenly giving you four wrong answers and expecting you to pick "E: None of the Above"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Volante wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:43 pm And it seems the player only has 'higher' and 'lower' options. A tie makes it wrong either way. That feels like a rule violation. If you, the player, are given two options, only those options should be possible. It'd be like WWTBAM suddenly giving you four wrong answers and expecting you to pick "E: None of the Above"
When Card Sharks first started out, the rule was what it is now: a tie is a loss. Around 1980, they changed the rule to make a tie a push, probably due to a game where all four 3s came up right in a row.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:20 pm
So so crazy. I screamed when the third ace came up! I don’t believe these shows are rigged but it was odd when Joel told the player there’s a 6% chance you get another ace. Joel looked shocked. But the guy’s friends. Wow. They were not happy.

Meanwhile Lady Luck really loved John
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I know these are reruns so this was probably discussed a while back, but on Friday’s episode, did I miss something or did the contestant actually choose to walk away without using all of her lifelines?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woppy T wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:29 pm I know these are reruns so this was probably discussed a while back, but on Friday’s episode, did I miss something or did the contestant actually choose to walk away without using all of her lifelines?
With it being reruns I am not watching anymore. Which episode did you see? Either player name or a question you recall and I can probably figure out which show it was to determine lifeline usage.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:50 pm
Woppy T wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:29 pm I know these are reruns so this was probably discussed a while back, but on Friday’s episode, did I miss something or did the contestant actually choose to walk away without using all of her lifelines?
With it being reruns I am not watching anymore. Which episode did you see? Either player name or a question you recall and I can probably figure out which show it was to determine lifeline usage.
I think he's talking about Sara Lehmann's second chance game.

My husband and I hosted a World Quizzing Championships venue the day after her show aired. She walked in and said, "I killed Millionaire!"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

When I saw someone walk without using all her lifelines, I posted about it.
earendel

Post by earendel »

No. She got to the $7000 question ("Besides Q, which letter is the only one NOT to appear in any of the official two-letter state postal codes currently used by the U.S. Postal Service?"). The choices were (A) B, (B) Z, (C) Y, and (D) J. She eliminated Y and J, then said "of course it's Z" and made that her final answer. Unfortunately, as Chris pointed out, there's a Z in AZ for Arizona. The answer was B (choice A).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 am When I saw someone walk without using all her lifelines, I posted about it.
I think that was it. Thanks.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

earendel wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:20 am
No. She got to the $7000 question ("Besides Q, which letter is the only one NOT to appear in any of the official two-letter state postal codes currently used by the U.S. Postal Service?"). The choices were (A) B, (B) Z, (C) Y, and (D) J. She eliminated Y and J, then said "of course it's Z" and made that her final answer. Unfortunately, as Chris pointed out, there's a Z in AZ for Arizona. The answer was B (choice A).
Different contestant. I might have the wrong day.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 am
earendel wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:20 am
Different contestant. I might have the wrong day.
Go to http://wwtbambored.com. The transcripts are posted there by date and name.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

So, how's Tamron Hall working out in the Millionaire slot?
goongas

Post by goongas »

Rachel Ray moved into Millionaire's time slot here in NYC. Tamron Hall took over the 10:00 hour I assume to go against the last hour of Today in NYC.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/kelly- ... 203332356/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

WJLA in DC is airing paid programming (i.e., infomercials) during Millionaire's former (dreadful) 1:00 time slot.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:19 pm So, how's Tamron Hall working out in the Millionaire slot?
early report I saw it got the same 1.4 ratings

I just don't understand, Millionaire was cheap, it was gaining viewers; a new show is always a gamble, talkers rarely pay off.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
goongas

Post by goongas »

Millionaire ratings were never going to approach anything too great, such as J! ratings. Tamron Hall, whatever you think of her, probably in some people's minds has the potential to be the next Oprah in terms of ratings. She was a very liked anchor on the Today Show who left after somebody more profile was hired instead to replace her hour on Today.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:06 pm WJLA in DC is airing paid programming (i.e., infomercials) during Millionaire's former (dreadful) 1:00 time slot.
southern delaware affiliate is doing the same, but like 9am or whatever the time is...i have since deleted the series off my dvr schedule
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

goongas wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:22 am Millionaire ratings were never going to approach anything too great, such as J! ratings. Tamron Hall, whatever you think of her, probably in some people's minds has the potential to be the next Oprah in terms of ratings. She was a very liked anchor on the Today Show who left after somebody more profile was hired instead to replace her hour on Today.
never heard of her...wtf is she?