Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I hope Mark won't mind me starting this thread.

Millionaire has moved from 11:30 to 2:00pm on KSFY, and they've gone back to carrying the second daily episode, so I won't need to wait for the Holiday break to see those shows.

Nice game show block in the afternoon with WWTBAM A and B, and then Jeopardy at 3:00. Inside Edition moves into the 11:30 spot, the daily Jeopardy repeat stays at 11.

Retro good luck to any boardies/J! veterans who we'll be seeing this year.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:25 am I hope Mark won't mind me starting this thread.

Millionaire has moved from 11:30 to 2:00pm on KSFY, and they've gone back to carrying the second daily episode, so I won't need to wait for the Holiday break to see those shows.

Nice game show block in the afternoon with WWTBAM A and B, and then Jeopardy at 3:00. Inside Edition moves into the 11:30 spot, the daily Jeopardy repeat stays at 11.

Retro good luck to any boardies/J! veterans who we'll be seeing this year.
No, I don't mind you starting the thread as I have no ownership claims over such things. I'm expecting to catch two new shows a day for the first three weeks. On FB I've seen on post that a J! alum will be on this week and no doubt the season will have many others. Also there is the Morbeedo show at some point. I'll post and share as events warrant and time allows as I did last season.

Thanks for starting this thread as it's a good reminder to look for an airing starting soon before the ones later in my area at 11:30 a.m. & 1 p.m. PT.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Live look-in at me waiting to hear my WWTBAM air date.

MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

The show got a cosmetic makeover (hint: new logo/lettering, no "$"'s or "?"'s in the logo anymore, but the format/host/music cues are still the same.
Spoiler
Fortunately, WWTBAM? did NOT add "Trust the Mob" as a lifeline.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:07 pm The show got a cosmetic makeover (hint: new logo/lettering, no "$"'s or "?"'s in the logo anymore, but the format/host/music cues are still the same.
Spoiler
Fortunately, WWTBAM? did NOT add "Trust the Mob" as a lifeline.
This is the complete video of the first-run 9/10 season opener:
Spoiler
Watch it, the thumbnail is now a spoiler. Besides the changes mentioned above, the question of the day had guest presenters.

As for the regular play questions:
Spoiler
10 were played and nice job by Malcolm Brooks to avoid the pitfall of the audience question. His knowledge of the top audience choice? Just a wee bit off. :)

The $50,000 question is one I would have gambled on Manson going solely by seeing his character play music in the Duchovny series, Aquarius.
Edited to correct my spelling. Misspelling a zodiac sign is one thing. A TV series? Unacceptable. ;)
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Score one for me for getting Hillary Clinton. :D

$7,000; $10,000; and $20,000 also instagets.

Corazon Aquino leader of Peru? He probably mixed up Aquino with Arequipa. Or possibly Alberto Fujimori.

The question and answer choices are now all shaped like parallelograms, much like the UK version of "Divided".

Too bad this wasn't Morbeedo's episode. He definately would have loved the $20,000 question.
Douglas Squasoni
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I knew that there was an uproar when Guns N' Roses put a cover of a Charles Manson song on one of their albums as a hidden track, so that helped on the 30K question.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:59 pm Too bad this wasn't morbeedo's episode. He definately would have loved the $20,000 question.
Haha, you can say that again. In the 3 days I had to study for the show, I looked at presidents, golf terms and the NATO phonetic alphabet. Golf came up last season (4 under par = condor; I stopped at albatross), and today the NATO alphabet. I even imagined myself reciting the alphabet, but after watching today's episode, I'm glad I didn't have the opportunity. Dad only needed to focus on Mike, India, Lima, November, Oscar, Romeo, Echo

Given the pre-taping walk-through, I'm surprised Malcom started to amble off stage when his game ended, but Chris stopped him with a firm grip on the shoulder

The two fears I have about seeing my episode: it's boring and/or I look like an idiot ;)

My DVR only recorded 1 new episode today. Are they showing 2 new episodes per day?
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:48 pmThis is the complete video of the first-run 9/10 season opener:
Spoiler
Watch it, the thumbnail is now a spoiler.
Thanks for posting this episode.
Per Millionaire's website, here in Chicagoland the show's been moved to 1:30...A.M. :shock:
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:20 pm My DVR only recorded 1 new episode today. Are they showing 2 new episodes per day?
Right now they are -- markets with a "second run" time slot are showing 2 new ones for a few weeks, then they'll be repeats of the originals we're seeing now.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:30 pm I knew that there was an uproar when Guns N' Roses put a cover of a Charles Manson song on one of their albums as a hidden track, so that helped on the 30K question.
I had heard many years ago that the Beach Boys had recorded a Manson song, and knew it was the B side to 'Bluebirds Over the Mountain', an atypical Beach Boys song and therefore one of my favorites of theirs. I thought the title had been changed to 'Cease to Resist' which Wikipedia now says is what the first line was changed to. I don't know when the title was changed to its current form, and I've never actually heard the song.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I LIKE their new font! :D
Golf

Post by Golf »

I have officially converted my longtime girlfriend to properly assessing game show strategy. When he used ATA on the Time Person of the Year question she immediately exclaimed, "YOU DON'T USE THE AUDIENCE ON A QUESTION LIKE THAT!?!?!?". I was so proud.

Was a neat scene when his Dad recited the alphabet to confirm the answer. Wonder if he knew Cory was Philippines instead of Peru and just said the wrong P country?

All in all though, I wish more contestants worked their way through the stack like he did instead of just giggling and guessing.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:20 pm My DVR only recorded 1 new episode today. Are they showing 2 new episodes per day?
There is another episode airing in the middle of the night.
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:03 pm
There is another episode airing in the middle of the night.
Ahhh, yes, thank you
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Clue Jungry »

Good to see mrbungle again as a +1 on today's show. What A. Card!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Clue Jungry wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:56 am Good to see mrbungle again as a +1 on today's show. What A. Card!
I'm glad I've already seen the episode. I'm working on a video upload and it should be ready within the hour.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:38 pm
Clue Jungry wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:56 am Good to see mrbungle again as a +1 on today's show. What A. Card!
I'm glad I've already seen the episode. I'm working on a video upload and it should be ready within the hour.
This is the complete video for the 9/11 first-run episode: (thumbnail is a 1 on the spoiler scale)
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler
The episode could be titled "Night and Day" as the contrast between the first contestant Sarah Sanders and the next contestant Susannah Brooks was vast.

I'm aware this is not Susannah's first rodeo, but I do not know where the line is on this board for what to share.

yes, always nice to see mr. bungle on the stage again.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:02 pm This is the complete video for the 9/11 first-run episode: (thumbnail is a 1 on the spoiler scale)
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler
The episode could be titled "Night and Day" as the contrast between the first contestant Sarah Sanders and the next contestant Susannah Brooks was vast.

I'm aware this is not Susannah's first rodeo, but I do not know where the line is on this board for what to share.

yes, always nice to see mr. bungle on the stage again.
Spoiler
Dear lord that first contestant made my teeth hurt. Using a lifeline to decide whether New Year's Day or Labor Day was 1) invented 2) by a union leader was bad enough (the lyrics...whatever. Given the right song I'd be in the same boat), but for her and her +1 to stand up there and say 'it's not a math question' and just guesstimate the calories in a cupcake (a 960-calorie cupcake, almost twice the calories of a Big Mac? Don't eat at their house)!?? They need a trapdoor.

And I'm not just annoyed because I figured it out in my head before the answers even came up.

(ok i lied.)
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

thank you, Clue Jungry and MarkBarrett!!

and extra-big thank you, MarkBarrett, for the video so i can watch it, because it is currently being preempted here in LA by local news coverage of a shooting. :(