Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I'm also waiting for my air date. I'm apparently at least the 2nd person from the Madison, WI area to be on the show. :)
Now swimming in the J! pool.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Susannah wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:09 pm
Johnblue wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:06 pm I’m confused because I saw your episode today but I didn’t see that heavyset woman with the short hair that’s in the video above.
Hi! My name is Susannah.
Welcome, Susannah and nice job this week adding to your game show success.

Today is not your first appearance on this board? ;) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2754&start=20#p164045

I've updated your J! Archive page.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

boson wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 pm Great job Susannah! I might have tried the 250k question:
Spoiler
"iso" means same "morph" means shape? That seems pretty close to right. Sad trombone.
Spoiler
Tough question! I would have guessed skeuomorph because none of the others fit. And I mean would have guessed if I had no money on the line!
Congrats Susannah! Great energy and so much fun to watch! Post a pic of the first pair of shoes you buy with your millions!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

You did a really good job acthomas. $50,000 is nothing to sneeze at. ;)

I knew the moon landing question before the choices even came up.

Also, the study of bats is Chiroptology.

I am looking forward to seeing the other J!Boardies on Millionaire this season. :D
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Spoiler
Could someone tell me the result of the Brickyard question and whether the audience helped her on that or not?
Douglas Squasoni
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:42 pm You did a really good job acthomas. $50,000 is nothing to sneeze at. ;)

I knew the moon landing question before the choices even came up.

Also, the study of bats is Chiroptology.

I am looking forward to seeing the other J!Boardies on Millionaire this season. :D
Two stories:

1) I had "ologies and phobias" on my study list, but didn't get around to it. I would advise other potential contestants to get into that one for sure.
Spoiler
My instinct was thrown off by, of all people, Tom Hanks. In Episode 6 of From The Earth To The Moon, they edit it so that Neil and Buzz get out of Eagle virtually one after the other... but in actuality it took 20 minutes between them. If I know that, I switch.
robertyknwt
Northernmost J! Champ Ever?

Post by robertyknwt »

I got in the contestant pool finally, but no call for an air date. Bummer. I guess that means "wait 'til next year", unless anyone out there knows anything different?
5-time champion (1992), originally from Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:56 pm
Spoiler
Could someone tell me the result of the Brickyard question and whether the audience helped her on that or not?
Spoiler
$7K: Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s nicknamed what?

A: “The Sandlot”
B: “The Brickyard”
C: “The Coal Mine”
D: “The Gravel Pit”

AtA

A: 10%
B: 61%
C: 4%
D: 25%

“The Brickyard”– $
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

J! champ Sam Stubblefield was on today.

$30,000 question (copied from bobbymgsk, added a comma)
If a single bee produces 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime, how many bees would be required to make a gallon of honey?

A: 4608
B: 6144
C: 9216
D: 12,288
Spoiler
Sam worked through the math masterfully, even checking his work through metric conversions before locking in the correct response without using a lifeline.

I knew there were 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, but I couldn't get from tablespoons to pints (and even forgot cups were a thing). But with the "tsp = tbsp / 3" knowledge, and a pretty strong hunch that there was an exact number of tablespoons in a gallon, I could do division and work out that B and D would not produce a number of teaspoons divisible by 3. (I should have recognized that only A and C were numbers divisible by 9 and let that suffice, but having the exact number of teaspoons each number would produce was also helpful.) 4,608 bees would produce 384 teaspoons, and 9,216 would produce 768 teaspoons. The latter felt more right to me, so Sam and I agreed on C.
Spoiler
Sam's $50,000 question asked what color stop signs were from 1924 to 1954, with the choices of white, blue, yellow, and brown. He believed that before reflective paints were common, they used yellow as an attention-getter color. He used the 50:50, which left white and yellow. He locked in yellow, having assessed that the risk was proper to take at this juncture. He got it right, and he'll be back tomorrow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 pm J! champ Sam Stubblefield was on today.

If a single bee produces 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime, how many bees would be required to make a gallon of honey?

Spoiler
Sam worked through the math masterfully, even checking his work through metric conversions before locking in the correct response without using a lifeline.

I knew there were 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, but I couldn't get from tablespoons to pints (and even forgot cups were a thing). But with the "tsp = tbsp / 3" knowledge, and a pretty strong hunch that there was an exact number of tablespoons in a gallon, I could do division and work out that B and D would not produce a number of teaspoons divisible by 3. (I should have recognized that only A and C were numbers divisible by 9 and let that suffice, but having the exact number of teaspoons each number would produce was also helpful.) 4,608 bees would produce 384 teaspoons, and 9,216 would produce 768 teaspoons. The latter felt more right to me, so Sam and I agreed on C.
Spoiler
Sam's $50,000 question asked what color stop signs were from 1924 to 1954, with the choices of white, blue, yellow, and brown. He believed that before reflective paints were common, they used yellow as an attention-getter color. He used the 50:50, which left white and yellow. He locked in yellow, having assessed that the risk was proper to take at this juncture. He got it right, and he'll be back tomorrow.
What I did with the bees:
Spoiler
I paused before seeing the choices.

3 teaspoons = tablespoon so 36 bees for a tablespoon
How many tbsp in a cup? Can't remember. I imagined how many times it would take to pour a tbsp to reach the cup line and thought as high as 24 times.

36x24=? I did not feel like figuring it out exactly and called it 600 for rough, very rough neighborhood. :)

600x2=pint of bees
1200x2=quart of bees
9600=gallon bees

I looked at the choices and went with C.

My estimate of 600 made the tablespoons in a cup = 16.67
Actual number of tablespoons in a cup = 16

Whatever works. :lol:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:01 pm The contestants' general lack of geography knowledge perplexes me. There are so many random factoids you can't prepare for on Millionaire, but any serious player should know at least the world capitals. To be fair, the geographic placement of state capitals within a state is a bit trickier, at least for me
the lack of geography knowledge is pretty rampant on jeopardy as well...not as bad as here, but still pretty bad on the whole
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 pm J! champ Sam Stubblefield was on today.

Thanks, I forgot to record Thursday's episodes.
Spoiler
For this one, I did 12 x 3 (tisps in a tibisp) x 4 (tibisps in 1/4 cup) x 4 (1/4 cups in a cup) x 2 (cups in a pint) = something between 1100 and 1200. Then I picked the answer closest to 8800 (for some reason--likely the pints/pounds thing--I find it easier to remember that there are 8 pints in a gallon than 16 cups). Whichever math teacher taught me the importance of estimation was my best math teacher.
Also:
Spoiler
For Susannah's last question, I paused it before the answers were revealed, because I knew it was a term I knew and that I'd recognize it as soon as I saw it, but I couldn't think of it in a reasonable amount of time and had to hit Play. I think it's one of those terms that sticks with you if you've seen it a few times (and have looked at at least one blog or tumblr featuring bad examples of it), but it seems like a very tough clue if you haven't.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

The bee question was a doozy. I thought the British monarch question was a gimme, but that's the funny thing about Millionaire. You get the questions you get, and 1 wrong answer ends the game. So congrats to Sam!
LucarioSnooperVixey

I knew the volcano question instantly because I have heard that Australia is the only continent without an active volcano.

It is quite obvious that Sam did not know about Mount Erebus, the famous active volcano in Antarctica.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:20 pm It is quite obvious that Sam did not know about Mount Erebus, the famous active volcano in Antarctica.
Nor did he know (at least in that moment) that evidence of volcanic eruptions doesn't need icy conditions to be preserved.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 9/14 B game had a J! alum who appeared in quite the J! game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5249

Comments about the Millionaire episode:
Spoiler
I like it when the Friday player: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10566 can sometimes continue on the Monday show without it being an automatic that the contestant will be done before the half hour is up.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've been holding off on visiting this thread since Millionaire comes on at 1:00 AM here, so I'm at least a day behind and don't want to spoil myself.

Re: Lifelines left at high dollar questions -- If you haven't used the ATA by $10k, it's almost assuredly worthless. They're just not going to know that stuff once the money gets big (in all likelihood).

I haven't been keeping track, but I believe that everyone I know (or know of) who has been on so far has hit $50k, and none of the others have.

Man, some of those stacks have been tough! They do want you earning the money, don't they?

I've gained a newfound respect for Chris' hosting. He's really very good at it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Susannah, very nicely done, and you get a lot of Mouse money.

Andrew, what can I say? It was a risk well worth taking, and it didn't pan out for you, unfortunately. The expected value was definitely there. It sucks to gamble with that much money, but it was entirely justifiable. And you get a lot of Mouse money, too, to help salve that wound.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 am Andrew, what can I say? It was a risk well worth taking, and it didn't pan out for you, unfortunately. The expected value was definitely there. It sucks to gamble with that much money, but it was entirely justifiable. And you get a lot of Mouse money, too, to help salve that wound.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

acthomas wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:18 am
alietr wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 am Andrew, what can I say? It was a risk well worth taking, and it didn't pan out for you, unfortunately. The expected value was definitely there. It sucks to gamble with that much money, but it was entirely justifiable. And you get a lot of Mouse money, too, to help salve that wound.
Are you going to be on every week? :) Your +1 appearance with Tara Whittle airs today for the B slot.