Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:24 pm Are you going to be on every week? :) Your +1 appearance with Tara Whittle airs today for the B slot.
Sure feels like it! And to add to it, I'm in the audience for the A slot episode today, right behind the +1.

But that should be it, which is good because it means my Jeopardy eligibility clock can start again ASAP.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Some thoughts on McKinnie's B episode

If you wanted to have a "Rocky" marathon
Spoiler
130 min (907/7) seems too long for an average film time. 110 min (765/7) looks better to me. And I've yet to see A or D come up as the right answer when there are 4 numerical choices
Words that are also the last names of Best Actor Oscar winners
Spoiler
I loved this question, but how can anyone say "I'm gonna go ahead and go with the audience on this" when you're looking at:

A 23%
B 25%
C 29%
D 23%

I know someone out there is keeping stats by season on how many times the audience loses the game for a player (though to be fair, the audience ain't the ones picking the Final Answer)
Results
Spoiler
I believe both gents went home with $5K and 2 lifelines apiece ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:11 pm Some thoughts on McKinnie's B episode
If you wanted to have a "Rocky" marathon
Spoiler
130 min (907/7) seems too long for an average film time. 110 min (765/7) looks better to me. And I've yet to see A or D come up as the right answer when there are 4 numerical choices
Spoiler
In my online research, and in a game I saw in the studio, I've seen A or D come up in numerical answers a few times. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have used my 50-50 on my last question even though I suspected it was B or C.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

acthomas wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:46 pm
Spoiler
In my online research, and in a game I saw in the studio, I've seen A or D come up in numerical answers a few times. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have used my 50-50 on my last question even though I suspected it was B or C.
Ahhh, thanks for the research. We’ll have an opportunity to revisit this soon enough ;)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

AC, I saw the episode where you’re the plus one. I went from my DVR not recording any episodes to getting 2 different episodes per day.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Ellen and Nick on today's episode were on my tape date. I hope they do well.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Unlikely pallbearers at Trudeau's funeral?
Spoiler
The guy seemed to know his history but went with George H.W. Bush and Saddam Hussein. I figured Carter / Castro had to be right without really knowing. He left with $5K and we never met his Plus One
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:19 pm Ellen and Nick on today's episode were on my tape date. I hope they do well.
Damn, why don't you have a tape date air date yet?
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:19 pm Ellen and Nick on today's episode were on my tape date. I hope they do well.
Ellen did something I've never seen a Millionaire contestant do before.
Spoiler
She got to the $20,000 question with two lifelines. It asked was what the bird Merops apiaster ate, as indicated in its name. (I don't remember the choices.) She asked the audience, and it came back almost perfectly split among all four choices. When Chris told her that she still had Plus One, she chuckled and said she didn't think her husband knew it either, and walked away with that lifeline still on the table.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:22 pm
Spoiler
She got to the $20,000 question with two lifelines. It asked was what the bird Merops apiaster ate, as indicated in its name. (I don't remember the choices.) She asked the audience, and it came back almost perfectly split among all four choices. When Chris told her that she still had Plus One, she chuckled and said she didn't think her husband knew it either, and walked away with that lifeline still on the table.
There was one contestant on the UK version of WWTBAM who made it to the million pound question with the 50/50 still remaining.
He walked away without even using the 50/50 and won 500,000.
He said "Even with the 50/50, I still wouldn't have a clue."
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Spoiler
just wow
Spoiler
unless they had a prior arrangement, like the husband said only call me up for sports questions?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Spoiler
Ellen taped right after me, and we did chat a little after the show, so I did knew how she did ahead of time. Her husband had absolutely no idea on this one and wouldn't have helped. If it were me, I'm still taking a shot (though I did know the answer), and hopefully saving my +1 for later on.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Tomnorrow (9/25) I will appear on an episode of Millionaire as the Plus One of my pub trivia teammate Stan Jasztrebski. You can catch me there, if only for a brief time.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:49 am Tomnorrow (9/25) I will appear on an episode of Millionaire as the Plus One of my pub trivia teammate Stan Jasztrebski. You can catch me there, if only for a brief time.
Hopefully the question you were consulted on wasn't how to spell 'tomorrow'. Just giving you a hard time. Totally looking forward to it! So far, every contestant I've known, or known of, has gotten to $50k, and everyone else (with one exception) hasn't. I saw some statistics from last year ... only about 10% of contestants make it to the $50k or better mark.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:49 am Tomnorrow (9/25) I will appear on an episode of Millionaire as the Plus One of my pub trivia teammate Stan Jasztrebski. You can catch me there, if only for a brief time.
How exciting! Apart from meeting 2 Boardies at TCONA'18 and seeing TenPoundHammer on Wheel, I don't know what any of you other people look like

Also, kind of strange that one contestant got a French language question followed by a French art question. What gives?
Spoiler
He got the language question right (French word for "pineapple" + one letter at the beginning = a word for another fruit)...
and walked on the art question (Rodin's thinker: right hand resting on right chin, what's the left one doing? Now, I like that question because you gotta figure everyone knows that statue but few would remember the exact posture - but at least you have a decent chance of getting it right!
Glad the double run ends this week. Feels like I'm watching the same show in 2 different realities!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 pm
Hopefully the question you were consulted on wasn't how to spell 'tomorrow'. Just giving you a hard time. Totally looking forward to it! So far, every contestant I've known, or known of, has gotten to $50k, and everyone else (with one exception) hasn't. I saw some statistics from last year ... only about 10% of contestants make it to the $50k or better mark.
Hah! Thanks, Andy. Stan and I spent a bit of our time in the Green Room contrasting the experience of being on the set of Jeopardy* and Millionaire. Let's just say that the comparison didn't flatter Millionaire (this despite the very good experience of dealing with the on-set crew, who were great).

* Stan's J! game
LucarioSnooperVixey

Could someone post Stan's $20,000 question and Woof as the +1? A special report interrupted and it cut off that part.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:11 pm Could someone post Stan's $20,000 question and Woof as the +1? A special report interrupted and it cut off that part.
I found this on YT and based on the running time it should have the part you missed.
Spoiler
The thumbnail is a spoiler of about 6 on a scale of 1 to 10.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

So I took my cousin - my +1 and a newly aspiring Millionaire contestant- to Trivia NYC on Saturday and she didn’t know anything! I’m supposed to be grooming her for the show but after that performance, I told her, girl, we’ve got a long way to go!

That said, she really took care of me in the green room for those 72 hours. She was a solid emotional support animal, I’d pick her again in a heart beat
LucarioSnooperVixey

For the last B episode:

$7,000 - $30,000 were all instagets, but unfortunately I would have left that episode with $0.
I honestly thought all the answer choices other than California roll were made up. :oops:

I also missed the ALL BUT part of the dice question a couple of days ago. :oops: :oops:
Douglas Squasoni