Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

It's not often you see a show with two $100,000 questions and a $0 winner.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:30 pm It's not often you see a show with two $100,000 questions and a $0 winner.
Oh no, that was really difficult to watch. Her gut told her A, but her gut also told her B. Chris should have given her a hug

I was stunned by the softball for the second $100K question. Thought the $50K was much, much harder. I know difficulty is subjective, but what do you think? This goes back to my question about random question order. I'd like to say more on that, but we'll have to wait until my episode airs
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 pm I was stunned by the softball for the second $100K question.
That was a softball?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:32 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 pm I was stunned by the softball for the second $100K question.
That was a softball?
It fits the kind of stuff he knows?

#7641, aired 2017-11-27 THINK PINK $1000: The Casa Rosada, or Pink House, is the president's mansion in this second-largest South American country
#6220, aired 2011-10-07 IN THE PINK $400: Juan & Eva Peron used to appear on the balconies of the Casa Rosada or "pink house", seen here in this world capital
#3056, aired 1997-12-08 WORLD GEOGRAPHY $200: The Casa Rosada, residence of this country's president, stands on the Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires
#2156, aired 1994-01-10 ARGENTINA $100: The president of Argentina works at the Casa Rosada or Pink House in this city
Final Jeopardy! Round clues (1 result returned)
#4808, aired 2005-06-29 MUSICAL THEATER: In Act II of this musical, an election victory is announced "on the balcony of the Casa Rosada"
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

That was a softball?
Well, I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking. I know it from the musical Evita (‘The best show in town was the crowd outside the Casa Rosada crying Eva Peron!’) and also from visiting Buenos Aires, so I was surprised to see it come up for $100K. But maybe it’s not well known at all
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This has the full video for the 10/4 episode:
Spoiler
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Spoiler

Congrats to Mark for getting to the third tier! Knew Scopes was around his mid-20s during the trial, but that's about it. The correct answer makes sense in hindsight.

No lifelines needed here through Bret's run. This game provides some more evidence in favor of reading or listening to some sort of pop culture media before appearing on WWTBAM - Bieber and Baldwin are *still* (sigh) a hot topic among morning talk show folk.

There was an episode of Phineas and Ferb where Dr. Doofenshmirtz explains that he was disowned by his parents and raised by ocelots. Of course I know what an ocelot is, but it certainly did not hurt to have that clip in mind during the $10k question. :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That was a softball?
I thought it was. But then again I've been to B.A. three times, and had a two-week job for a bank where my office overlooked ... Casa Rosada. Somewhere along that plaza I had the best steak I've ever had. Yeah, my eyes would have popped out of my head if I'd gotten that as a $100k question (which in no way implies that I made it or didn't make it that far).
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I’ve been around the CR three or four times. I had an excellent steak there too! I probably wouldn’t have known about it if I hadn’t gone to BA.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:58 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 pm ...

The degree of difficulty by question value seems to be all over the map. Is there a randomized element to the question order, or do the writers set the questions and dollar values?
I would say the questions are matched to dollar value without a random factor. I'm looking forward to Wednesday with a S1 J! champ (plus other accomplishments on his trivia resume) having a Regis era $1M winner as +1.
OK, so it was great fun to see Mark Ryder play Millionaire. And his +1 was Joe Trela?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:33 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:58 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 pm ...

The degree of difficulty by question value seems to be all over the map. Is there a randomized element to the question order, or do the writers set the questions and dollar values?
I would say the questions are matched to dollar value without a random factor. I'm looking forward to Wednesday with a S1 J! champ (plus other accomplishments on his trivia resume) having a Regis era $1M winner as +1.
OK, so it was great fun to see Mark Ryder play Millionaire. And his +1 was Joe Trela?
Yes, that was him.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Does anyone here actually remember him from J! S1? (Once MarkBarrett said we'd have a champ from then on WWTBAM, I went to the site to watch their "this week" video, in which only a caption mentioned his name at all, and that was just his first name. So then I wondered if it was Mark Loundy, who as it turns out is the only archived S1 champ named Mark. But he's got enough of an online presence that I was able to confirm it wasn't him.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:10 pm Does anyone here actually remember him from J! S1? (Once MarkBarrett said we'd have a champ from then on WWTBAM, I went to the site to watch their "this week" video, in which only a caption mentioned his name at all, and that was just his first name. So then I wondered if it was Mark Loundy, who as it turns out is the only archived S1 champ named Mark. But he's got enough of an online presence that I was able to confirm it wasn't him.)
Mark Ryder is the guy and I am relying on what he told me in person and not any video or memory evidence of my own. I have played pub trivia with Mark (both on the same team and against his team) as well as been in his office when he has hosted the WQC. He said he won a game and lost his next game in Season 1 of Trebek J! is my recollection.

I met Joe Trela (the +1 who won $1M on the computer bug/moth Q) at one of the WQC days.

Mark Ryder won on The Challengers with Dick Clark and made it back for some kind of invitational tournament. That I remember having seen. On FB there was a mention that he also appeared on some version of Password.

All of the lifeline usage from the 10/5 episode:
Spoiler
Molly Mollin going for $20,000
Next:
Spoiler
A: 17%
B: 37%
C: 18%
D: 28%
Next:
Spoiler
The 50:50 left C & D and Molly called down her +1
Next:
Spoiler
He had a sense that vowels and common letters were low points and that he could not get the math to work for D.
Next:
Spoiler
They went for C: TWELVE, final answer and it was right.
$30,000
Next:
Spoiler
Molly (a San Franciscan) walked with $20,000 while having an instinct it was Maya Angelou. With no lifelines remaining she did not want to guess.  It was B: Maya Angelou
Time only remained for an audience member to play Thousandaire and he knew the candy with a soft chewable version called Dweebs was Nerds.

Comments:
Spoiler
The Scrabble math:
A: 1+1+4+1+1 = 8
B: 1+1+2+4+1= 9
C: 1+4+1+1+4+1 = 12
D:  1+1+8+1+1+1+1 = 14

I matched Molly in being a San Franciscan who does not play Scrabble and would have needed lifeline help.  Maya Angelou was one I knew and could have moved on if I got that far.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Oh wow. The 10/5 episode was from my original tape day, Thu Aug 16, last day of the penultimate week of taping. I saw my friend in the audience, who unfortunately didn't get to see my game when I was bumped to the following Monday :cry:

Oddly, I have no memory of Molly from the green room! :?

The Scrabble question
Spoiler
I thought X was worth 10, so I might have gone with D. Sixteen = Sixteen, although the red flag went up telling me the answer would follow the pattern of being B or C. Turned out to be C
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 am This is the video for the complete 10/3 episode:
Spoiler
The last email I sent when concluding my first temp gig at Microsoft was cc'd to Jeff Raikes.
In and out of the pool four times
Golf

Post by Golf »

Holy Batcrap lifeline usage on that Scrabble question.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:51 pm
The Scrabble question
Spoiler
I thought X was worth 10, so I might have gone with D. Sixteen = Sixteen, although the red flag went up telling me the answer would follow the pattern of being B or C. Turned out to be C
Spoiler
Only Q and Z are worth 10. An X is 8.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

So I heard that Brett Lazer, who I met at TCONA, and who works for Fleetwit trivia, was to be on Millonaire today. But then I came home and saw that my DVR did not record the show. The rest of this week’s episodes are also not set to record because aren’t listed as new episodes. The original airdates show them as being first aired the week of 9/17 to 9/21. Does this mean they were aired in the secondary slot on those dates for double run markets? The confusing thing is that I thought I watched all of the episodes so far this season as my station airs both, but I don’t remember seeing Brett. Maybe I missed a day and its as simple as that but I wonder if anyone else can confirm if this show was already shown?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:33 pm So I heard that Brett Lazer, who I met at TCONA, and who works for Fleetwit trivia, was to be on Millonaire today. But then I came home and saw that my DVR did not record the show. The rest of this week’s episodes are also not set to record because aren’t listed as new episodes. The original airdates show them as being first aired the week of 9/17 to 9/21. Does this mean they were aired in the secondary slot on those dates for double run markets? The confusing thing is that I thought I watched all of the episodes so far this season as my station airs both, but I don’t remember seeing Brett. Maybe I missed a day and its as simple as that but I wonder if anyone else can confirm if this show was already shown?
Brett Lazer was on today's show. It was first run. For double run markets one show is new and one show is a rerun. I'll call the reruns the B games. Last week the B games were the A games from the 9/10 week. This week it is the 9/17 week. For the A run it will be new episodes until I'm guessing the week of Dec. 24, 31 and Jan. 7th. Those three weeks will have the first run B games that aired 9/10 - 9/28.

For Brett's game today I can't work on it now, but should be able to get to it later tonight to put together what I have for a video upload. It may not be perfect as I was doing other things during the breaks, but it will be good enough.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:33 pm So I heard that Brett Lazer, who I met at TCONA, and who works for Fleetwit trivia, was to be on Millonaire today. But then I came home and saw that my DVR did not record the show. The rest of this week’s episodes are also not set to record because aren’t listed as new episodes. The original airdates show them as being first aired the week of 9/17 to 9/21. Does this mean they were aired in the secondary slot on those dates for double run markets? The confusing thing is that I thought I watched all of the episodes so far this season as my station airs both, but I don’t remember seeing Brett. Maybe I missed a day and its as simple as that but I wonder if anyone else can confirm if this show was already shown?
The Columbus Day parade pre-emtped the episode on my network. Maybe that is why the episode didn't record.
Douglas Squasoni