Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by teapot37 »

What was the Best Picture question?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:08 pm What was the Best Picture question?
I figure it's this one:
Two films are tied for having the shortest title of any movie to win Best Picture since the OSCARS began in ’27. How many letters long were their titles- three, four, five or six?
https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/2019/05 ... e-5-20-19/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Volante wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 pm
teapot37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:08 pm What was the Best Picture question?
I figure it's this one:
Two films are tied for having the shortest title of any movie to win Best Picture since the OSCARS began in ’27. How many letters long were their titles- three, four, five or six?
https://bobbymgsk.wordpress.com/2019/05 ... e-5-20-19/
Spoiler
My thinking process is: I can think of three 5-letter winners (Wings, Rocky, and Crash), so while I can only immediately think of one 4-letter one (Argo) (and now that I've given it a minute more think, I remembered Gigi) 4 must be the right answer (because I know 4 is the shortest, there are no 3s)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

teapot37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:35 pm
Spoiler
My thinking process is: I can think of three 5-letter winners (Wings, Rocky, and Crash), so while I can only immediately think of one 4-letter one (Argo) (and now that I've given it a minute more think, I remembered Gigi) 4 must be the right answer (because I know 4 is the shortest, there are no 3s)
Spoiler
He had Wings and Marty, and when he came up with Crash he started questioning Marty. Then he did the 50:50 and was left with 4 and 5 as the choices. It was really disappointing, after how well he'd done with the previous eight questions, to see him burn all his lifelines on unnecessary self-doubt.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

So there are a total of 5 films that have been nominated for Best Picture that are shorter than 4 letters (none have won). How many can you name?
Spoiler
The Greek film Z,
the Pixar film Up,
Oliver Stone's JFK,
the biopic Ray (which won Jamie Foxx his Oscar), and
the Spike Jonze film Her.
Last edited by teapot37 on Mon May 20, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got the first and the last one (I probably wouldn't have gotten the last if it hadn't been in Kaiser's brainstorming today).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:36 pm
teapot37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:35 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
He had Wings and Marty, and when he came up with Crash he started questioning Marty. Then he did the 50:50 and was left with 4 and 5 as the choices. It was really disappointing, after how well he'd done with the previous eight questions, to see him burn all his lifelines on unnecessary self-doubt.
Spoiler
Not the first time Marty's caused grief on a Quiz Show
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 5/21 episode has a J! champ and board member: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9861

All of the 5-figure questions in one swoop
Spoiler
$10,000

$20,000

$30,000
Lifeline usage:
Spoiler
The ATA was burned early at 5K for the sport associated with Salchow. Choyon used the 50:50 for the songs and it left C & D. The +1 John helped Choyon work through the options.
Correct answers:
Spoiler
Don’t Stop Believin’, Karen, and Avocado’s Number Guacamole
What happened and comments:
Spoiler
Choyon worked through the food choices, understood the play on Avogadro’s number and yet went Boyle in somehow thinking it was about there not being that many grains of rice in the bag.

The miss was a WTF moment as Choyon had it and overthought it. The stage and lights effect for this show must be completely unlike playing J! for real. Tough to see considering how many others got bastard $30K questions this season and can only wish they had this one.

No thank you for me on the song question as trying to sing songs in my head with background music is not a skill I have even if I know all the songs well.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Liz Murphy (5x champ in 2009, 2010 ToC semifinalist) will be on Thursday.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:13 pm Liz Murphy (5x champ in 2009, 2010 ToC semifinalist) will be on Thursday.
And who twice defeated Ryan Chaffee.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

For ihavejeoprosy, Planck's Constant is represented simply by the letter h. Which of course, isn't a number. ;)

Although you didn't get past $30,000, you still managed to get further than many other players.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:03 pm For ihavejeoprosy, Planck's Constant is represented simply by the letter h. Which of course, isn't a number. ;)
Planck's constant is a number, albeit a number of something, namely, joule-seconds, whereas Avogadro's number can be attached to any object. Also, the number in Planck's constant is tiny tiny tiny, like you can multiply Avogadro's number by it and still be dealing with trillionths.
LucarioSnooperVixey

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:03 pm For ihavejeoprosy, Planck's Constant is represented simply by the letter h. Which of course, isn't a number. ;)
Planck's constant is a number, albeit a number of something, namely, joule-seconds, whereas Avogadro's number can be attached to any object. Also, the number in Planck's constant is tiny tiny tiny, like you can multiply Avogadro's number by it and still be dealing with trillionths.
In my high school years, I got A's in History, Math, and English. While I got B's in my Science classes. This partially explains it. :roll:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:06 pm
In my high school years, I got A's in History, Math, and English. While I got B's in my Science classes. This partially explains it. :roll:
Well, if it's any consolation, I should have said "ten-billionths" instead of "trillionths."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Millionaire is going out with lots of J! champs (two more coming this week): http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2914

One question from the 5/22 show:
Spoiler
Value level and answer:
Spoiler
Alex used his +1 Chris and they agreed to use the 50:50 which left B & D.  I'll join LCV and all the others who will get this with no choices needed.  Alex went for B and got the $20,000.  After recently filling in Alex's 2002 games in the J! Archive it was jarring to see him with the 16-year+ age progression.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:06 pm
Well, if it's any consolation, I should have said "ten-billionths" instead of "trillionths."
It also depends on what units the Planck's constant is expressed in. Particle physicists often used the so-called "natural system" in which the value of h is 1.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:26 pm I don't understand Wayne why you think ABC values this property anymore? The show has run its course. It never was a ratings success in syndication. If they would rather revive other 80s game shows for this summer instead of celebrating the 20th anniversary of the show, why do you think they would want to hold onto the rights for the future? The last time they put it in primetime, the ratings were not good. Maybe the best we can hope for is Sony selling the rights to a streaming service?
The value is because they could bring it back anytime they want if they own it. Look at what happened with Family Feud, a show that ran its course after about 15 years and came back a few years later...then 20 years later still going strong.

You mentioned the summer games, but why would ABC have this one on when the syndicated one is still going (OK, just ended, but that just happened)? There is no reason they couldn't have it for a week next summer; in fact it would be in their best interest so they can keep ownership instead of giving it away to Sony.

One part I don't know is how many episodes or how long between episodes is the requirement for Disney to keep it. They could easily bring it back for one week each year to own it, if that would meet the requirement.

Disney is also starting a streaming service, they could simply put it on there.

The quote published in Variety stated it will not be syndicated next season, it did not say will go out of production or has been cancelled--another reason I say the fat lady hasn't begun to sing.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 pm Millionaire is going out with lots of J! champs (two more coming this week): http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2914
I had an answer for his last two questions before the choices popped up.
Spoiler
For what was illegal to wear in Barbados, I immediately said "shorts" aloud. The choices were camouflage, logos, shorts, and perfume. Alas, my immediate instinct proved incorrect. I was luckier on the next question, about "drunken shrimp" in Asian restaurants asking whether they were served on a bed of fish eyes, still living, sprinkled with mold, or inside an octopus's stomach. I think it's pretty obvious which of those choices could be precalled, and this time it was the right one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 5/23 episode for the transcriber will be (a lot of spoilers inside)
Spoiler
Spoiler
no fun with three contestants and 21 questions counting the question of the day.

Tony Fox:
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7156 going for $10,000
Spoiler
The audience gave him:
33% Hayden P.
30% Saoirse R.
25% Maggie G.
12% Cara D.

Not liking the spread, Tony used the 50:50 which left him Saorise and Maggie.
Spoiler
Tony went the wrong way with Ms. Ronan and left with $5,000 and his +1 unused.
Terry Bolar went the wrong way on a 50:50 for $10K for the most expensive day for air travel of Thursday or Sunday picking
Spoiler
Thursday over Sunday.
Liz Murphy
Spoiler
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5987 going for $7,000

Used her brother Bill for help and they decided to ask the audience after their discussion.
The audience:
Spoiler
gave enough confidence with 77% for Eagle that Liz will return tomorrow.
Comments:
Spoiler
Normally the audience would be better at celebrity marriages although I get why Tony’s question was not the best set of choices for them. I only knew it from Maggie’s appearances on talk shows.
Sad to see Liz burn two lifelines early though with a full show tomorrow it leaves it wide open for how long or short she continues.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Only 25% of the audience knew Maggie Gyllenhaal even with choices?!?!

The question was an Instaget for me even though I'm not that great with celebrity couples. You would think the Audience would do well with this category. This surprised me greatly, though not as much as Old Pale or James Cameron.
Douglas Squasoni