Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

I was in Tokyo twice for work and made a point of learning a few key words and phrases. Never came across those expressions, but the answer seemed fairly obvious. I was at a work dinner one night with some pretty buttoned up older accounting professionals and all of a sudden these guys were trying to procure women for my colleague and me. So, so bizarre!

Hard to tell if Adam was being himself or putting on a show for the camera. Hard to understand what the casting people are looking for, other than “all types”

John had to be prompted to say “final answer” on every single question. I would have been stuck on the Rush/Motley Crüe/Fever question, only recognizing 2 of the 4 names. I waited on Tommy Lee at the Hudson Hotel c. 2000. Spilled champagne on his entourage and he was very gracious about it!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Does anyone remember Scooter Diel from a couple years ago? He was one of the more interesting personalities I remember, but he was cool.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The first question only from the 11/23 show:
Spoiler
John Dale Beety and his mother going for $7,000 and last lifeline available
Next:
Spoiler
Mom tried to help reason it out with which names sounded right and she was not feeling Franklin or Rowland. With it being a free guess they went Mortimer's. The correct answer was Rowland's.

My comments: Perhaps I have West Coast ignorance, but is this really a proper $7K question? Is this easier for the New York elites? Even the one piece of information I had on hand to help was useless as I have seen a 1950s era episode of What's My Line? that had fun with both the head of Macy's & head of Gimbel's on at the same time. Unfortunately the Macy's guy was Jack Strauss. If Millionaire wants to do a Gimbel's version the guys were father Adam and son Bernard (the one on the game show).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The last question of the 11/23 show:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
He used his first lifeline the ATA after telling the audience he knew it was not Margaret the author of GWTW or Joni the singer.  The audience gave him:
60% Andrea Mitchell
33% Maria Mitchell
4% Margaret Mitchell
3% Joni Mitchell
Next:
Spoiler
Ben went with the audience and left with $0 ($1000).

Comments:  Andrea Mitchell is a J! champ from Power Players: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5105  and the correct answer Maria has been in a handful of J! clues so no problem for me on the question while once again I'm not sure that is really a fair valuation for the question.
One more spoiler comment:
Spoiler
With what I've shared about the game there is still another contestant who played in between.  Liz Hoopfer used two lifelines on the last question she saw and still could not get the body part producer for bile right.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:04 pm Next:
Spoiler
My comments: Perhaps I have West Coast ignorance, but is this really a proper $7K question? Is this easier for the New York elites? Even the one piece of information I had on hand to help was useless as I have seen a 1950s era episode of What's My Line? that had fun with both the head of Macy's & head of Gimbel's on at the same time. Unfortunately the Macy's guy was Jack Strauss. If Millionaire wants to do a Gimbel's version the guys were father Adam and son Bernard (the one on the game show).
I'd say it was a bit undervalued.
Spoiler
I know I've heard called R.H. Macy's before, but that was years and years ago. Don't know how easy it would have been to dredge that up.
And, if anything, I'd say the Mitchell question was overvalued given the choices.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:48 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
I know I've heard called R.H. Macy's before, but that was years and years ago. Don't know how easy it would have been to dredge that up.
And, if anything, I'd say the Mitchell question was overvalued given the choices.
Spoiler
R.H. does look little familiar, so perhaps Miracle on 34th Street. Thanks.

For the Mitchells I get that 2, 3 or 5K would seem fine while I'm thinking $7K just above the first threshold is my valuation spot since there are going to be enough Millionaire types (and even prior non-winning J! players) that won't be familiar with Andrea or Maria.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:04 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:48 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
R.H. does look little familiar, so perhaps Miracle on 34th Street. Thanks.

For the Mitchells I get that 2, 3 or 5K would seem fine while I'm thinking $7K just above the first threshold is my valuation spot since there are going to be enough Millionaire types (and even prior non-winning J! players) that won't be familiar with Andrea or Maria.
Spoiler

I had no idea on Macy's. I'm wondering if the audience would have been able to help him on that, if he saved his lifelines, or had something more in his wheelhouse.

I thought Andrea Mitchell was fairly famous, but not everyone watches NBC apparently.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:44 pm
Spoiler

I had no idea on Macy's. I'm wondering if the audience would have been able to help him on that, if he saved his lifelines, or had something more in his wheelhouse.

I thought Andrea Mitchell was fairly famous, but not everyone watches NBC apparently.
Spoiler
Andrea Mitchell doesn't ring a bell to me but "Andrea" is not a name a woman in the 1840s is going to have.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea#Notable_people

I'm not sure if that helps or hurts this argument...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

John Dale, popping in. I'd joined a couple of years back (see: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=189&p=220018#p220018) but I'm mostly a lurker. Some folks on here are scary.

Anyway. Spoilers ahead.
Spoiler
Re: requiring a prompt for "final answer" - This was deliberate. When I reviewed what had gone wrong in recent early crash-outs, going too quickly or saying "final answer" without thinking was a common theme. I decided that wasn't going to happen to me, and I chose to give myself that moment to catch myself, only saying "final answer" in response to a prompt. You'll note I never needed prompting for lifelines, which were always "LIFELINE, final decision."

Re: the question stack - I knew pop culture was a weakness, and I made a concerted effort to study it, but I didn't think to study Internet memes, and I'd focused on recent rather than older music. Maybe the audience would've realized the Macy's question was secretly a movie question -- in the trial scene, he gives his name or at least his initials (which would've been enough with the answer choices all starting with different letters). I never got that far, and in any case I stone needed the audience to get past the meme question at 3K. You can play all sorts of coulda-woulda-shoulda after the fact, like "go for the one that seems spelled like a last name," but I didn't in the moment, and that's all that counts. I maxed out what I could do on that stack, and frankly I feel lucky to have walked away with the 5K.

Re: Thursday and Friday edits - I haven't seen my Thanksgiving episode that I share with Adam the Ham, but from Friday and the one question, I got a very kind edit. I took up far more time than shown, including lots of blind panic and lines like "I don't know what to do!" I deserved the host prompt I got -- I wasn't hurried at all. Now, as for Adam -- I was sequestered in a trailer with steps, but I had my best friend in the audience. According to him, Adam the Ham got told he needed to answer on almost every question, taking up time and more time. (I don't know for whom the time passed more slowly, the folks who could hear him or me in that sequester trailer with a wristwatch and nothing to occupy my mind.) The editors seem to have gotten their revenge on him: he talked a bunch, but they cut him down sharply; he wanted attention, so they buried him on Thanksgiving; and they created expectations among his friends by showing him winning 20K in a promo before broadcasting his fall. Protip: be nice to the people who can give recommendations on how you'll be edited.

So that's most of it. I got my chance. I had my time. I took my mom to Las Vegas, and we walked away winners. I'd rather be happy about the experience we shared and the money I can apply to Operation Get Mom to Ireland than sad about what could've been.

You have more questions I can answer while keeping my NDA, I'll try to answer.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Hi John Dale! Welcome back to the site and congrats on getting to play. I hope you keep trying for J!, we'd all love to see you there someday. Here's hoping the cash will be enough to take your mom to Ireland or somewhere else real nice. :D
Spoiler
I thought you got a tough stack overall as well, and especially so on the $7k question. Compared to past questions at that level, I feel that question may have been better suited a little higher up the board. There a Macy's in the mall that I work at and I still didn't even know the answer LOL. A fact like that is something the audience might know but there's no way to know for sure, thankfully you got to take a free guess there.

Knew Ben looked familiar. I knew the fact, and watch NBC as an added bonus. Just goes to show that you really need to pick your spots with the audience.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:58 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
Andrea Mitchell doesn't ring a bell to me but "Andrea" is not a name a woman in the 1840s is going to have.

I NHO Andrea or Maria Mitchell, but figured Andrea and couldn't be that old a name. But the ship name "Andrea Doria" does give me some pause about it being older. Pretty tough for what should be a freebie, but gettable.
The Macy's question was outrageous for an early round.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:01 am
Volante wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:58 pm
Spoiler

Spoiler

I NHO Andrea or Maria Mitchell, but figured Andrea and couldn't be that old a name. But the ship name "Andrea Doria" does give me some pause about it being older. Pretty tough for $7K I think, but gettable.
The Macy's question was outrageous for an early round.
Spoiler
Andrea as a -woman's- name is a recent phenomenon. As a male name, especially if they're Italian, it's old hat.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

John Dale:
Spoiler
First of all, congrats on making the show! And thanks for sharing your thoughts about the game. I was really hoping your mom would come through with the assist! Rats!

Loved your reply to Chris’s line, “You’ve got nothing to lose.” Well said!

I don't know if living in NYC helped me on the Macy's question, but I was pretty sure about R. H. being his first initials. Just don't ask me who voices the characters on Sesame Street...
General comment on Friday
Spoiler
I feel cheated after watching 3 players leave with a collective $11K. Black Friday, indeed

Surprised Ben and the audience went with Andrea Mitchell! She's a pretty well known journalist, or at least I thought
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OK, I hate that Millionaire comes on at 1 in the morning here, because I'm always a day late and a dollar short.

I have to admit that I very rarely root against a contestant, but I wasn't sorry to see Adam go. There's a difference between trying to being entertaining and making it a joke.

John, you got a hard stack (if only you could have traded with Shiva, right?). It took it me a while to pull it, but I kept remembering Macy had two initials in front of it, and eventually I remembered the "R.H." It probably helps that I'm from NY. That was ridiculously hard for $7k.

I watch NBC News, and used to know Andrea back when my ex worked there. That was a no-brainer. It was hard to believe the audience was that far off on that one. I guess a younger audience can be good for some things, but definitely not others.

The pancreas secretes insulin. I'm not sure what they were thinking there.

That was a pretty bad stretch of shows for them. Here's hoping next week goes better.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The audience failed miserably again, and I knew the answer before the choices came up again.

The audience going for Mezzanine probably because it is the only one that doesn't sound silly.

I also think the contestant used the Audience a little too soon provoking the audience to not read the question carefully.
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:11 pm The audience failed miserably again, and I knew the answer before the choices came up again.

The audience going for Mezzanine probably because it is the only one that doesn't sound silly.

I also think the contestant used the Audience a little too soon provoking the audience to not read the question carefully.
Yikes!!! And it was Messanine.

The guy had almost no reaction. Must have been stunned

Lizzie is a loose cannon. Can’t wait to watch the rest of her game!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:08 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:11 pm The audience failed miserably again, and I knew the answer before the choices came up again.

The run of contestants performing poorly continues. Sucks to be led astray by the audience like that, though.

Lizzie totally lost me with the Beatles comment. A more judicious "I'm not a big fan" would have gone over a lot better. You gotta wonder about someone who hates the Beatles.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 am
morbeedo wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:08 pm

The run of contestants performing poorly continues. Sucks to be led astray by the audience like that, though.

Lizzie totally lost me with the Beatles comment. A more judicious "I'm not a big fan" would have gone over a lot better. You gotta wonder about someone who hates the Beatles.
I'll just add that my admiration for Chris Harrison as a host continues to grow. He handled Lizzie's comments with great humor and in general manages the delicate balance of businesslike attitude with humorous banter with aplomb.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:32 am
I'll just add that my admiration for Chris Harrison as a host continues to grow. He handled Lizzie's comments with great humor and in general manages the delicate balance of businesslike attitude with humorous banter with aplomb.
I agree. I've grown quite fond of him as the host. He was definitely grown comfortable in the role.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I’m not a Beatles fan myself but hate? That was weird. Did she say she tried out to be on The Bachelor? I didn’t understand her story. I knew who Charlie Duke was before the choices were given. The guy who cane on after her seems pretty sharp.