Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CyrusChan »

StevenH wrote:Preston, you did us all proud! You played a great game and you looked very polished up there...you must have had some good preparation.

Congrats to Brandon for winning his first two games on a single get FJ in both games. My hat goes off to him.

At first I thought that this was my dream board but it was probably on the easy side. I did know three $1000 clues that were triple stumpers: Philip K Dick, Battle of the Nile, and Yoplait. I doubt that will ever happen to me again.

The bottom three clues in the state nicknames category were brutal. I had never even vaguely heard of those. I did get Louisiana on a wag, but I never would have buzzed in on it unless it was a do or die situation.

The Chaucer clue at $400 in the Poets category was hard, I thought. I lost out on the 50 50 90 guess between Chaucer and Bunyan.

I went with Nixon and Ford on FJ. I figured it had to be a recent duo but I never got to JFK and LBJ. I think that it was kind of a dumb clue, but I understand the TOM.
Hey thanks for placing Bunyan in the forums as that enables me to learn one more person! As for the Chaucer clue, I don't recall all the detail but didn't it involve something in the 1300s---> middle ages?? Chaucer is the father of English. Keep watching and we'll both enjoy it very much. Can't believe I mumbled Volta in my head when i saw the clue for VOlga. That would've been hilarious had it been on Nat'l TV.

Boy, i love these college/universities questions, I am on a tear with these. (watches too much college sports)

That Po river was a dead giveaway with short name.... come on, questions writers. He would've gotten it sans that part! hahah

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

cinemaniax7 wrote:Good luck tonight to Cindy Conaway, a fellow alumnus of Bowling Green State University's popular culture department!
and even better, she teaches just up the road in Saratoga Springs!
Sorry about tonight's result, but she played a great game, as did okustater and of course the champ getting his well-deserved second win on a sole FJ get.

I don't see it posted yet, so...
FJ: The traditional Inaugural Lunch for this President & V.P. featured boiled stuffed lobster & prime ribs of beef au jus.
Answer:
Spoiler
Answer: JFK/ LBJ

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

CyrusChan wrote:
Suze wrote:I thought there were a ton of crappy questions tonight, and FJ was the worst. You can reason out that lobster usually points to New England, but my logic pointed toward the Bush family, who famously have a house in Kennebunkport, Maine. And beef au jus, is that supposed to point at something? LBJ was Texan, they have cattle, but so do a lot of other states. Sheesh. I hate to see Preston lose on something truly trivial.

Good game, all three of you. :)

How can you say FJ was a sham? Lobster points to New England like you say. You vie for Bush, how is Steak related to Cheney. Your argument would've been stronger had the other dish involved wheat or something.... no clue what he eats.

what other questions fit the crappy criterion you claim?
The FJ clue wasn't impossible to figure out, but Suze is right: it was too trivial to make a good FJ clue (though the writers have come up with much worse). The fact that you had over 200 years of presidents to think about in only 30 seconds made it that much harder.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Suze wrote:Maine is the state known for lobster, not Mass. I'm from Massachusetts. They definitely have lobster fishing in Mass, and it's a popular food on the coast, but Mass isn't the lobster state, Maine is. Cheney can easily connect to beef, he's from Wyoming. I'm not saying JFK/LBJ isn't a legit response, it is, but it's a stupid question. Trivial, even. :P

In my mind, I thought Cheney was from Neb(mid-west). In the case of the GW Bush, he would most likely be associated with Steakhouse and Cheney, then most likely associated with bison,ox,buffalo(maybe?).

For me, Bush would just ring a bell more as a Texan as he's from Houston/Dallas. I skipped Cheney promptly when I saw lobster. All this talk about surf-and-turf has gotten me hungry now... lol :D

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I honestly thought that this was one of those total "pure trivia" clues. The presence of lobster in the clue meant bupkis to me.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lobster led me to Maine, which led me to Bush41. Reagan is from California, he liked ranches, so maybe he had a thing for beef. But it didn't make sense why they put the president's food second in the clue, but Bush/Quayle and Bush/Cheney didn't seem to fit, so I was stuck with my first thought. I just couldn't get away from Bush, had I skipped back a few years and thought of Kennedy I might have gone with that, even though I don't connect lobsters with Massachusetts.

I agree it was a lame FJ. Especially since it was a wheelhouse category for me. I guess the Jeopardy gods were getting even for me guessing on a word origins FJ this week and getting it right.

Nixon/Ford couldn't have been right as they didn't have an inaugural dinner.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Like others, I pretty much stared blankly for about 20 seconds trying to think of a President from Maine to connect with lobster, then in the final seconds I expanded to New England and scrawled out "Who are Kennedy and LB Johnson" just in the nick of time. As I wrote it I reasoned that LBJ=Texas=cattle=beef would make sense, although I had no idea if au jus would make sense for Texas in the 60s. TPH pointing out that Arby's has au jus on the menu is probably a pretty decent point and may have made me feel even more confident if I had thought of it before the reveal.

After someone mentioned that one of the Bushes would have been a good guess since they have a family home in Maine, I was trying to think of what food they could have used to represent Dan Quayle's home state of Indiana in 1988. Can anyone think of any foods that are thought of as a prototypical Hoosier food? For me, the only thing that immediately came to mind was a breaded pork tenderloin that typically is approximately the size of one's head. These are commonly found at fairs in Indiana, and are also often seen on the menu in a wide variety of restaurants. I have no idea how relatively common they are in other midwestern states, but I'm pretty sure that I have many times heard anecdotes referring to them as an Indiana specialty.

Here's the first article I found after doing a google search for inaugural dinner: http://www.latimes.com/features/la-fo-i ... 9356.story

George H.W. Bush's dinner included a bunch of hoity-toity food that I reckon Yale types might enjoy:
At George H.W. Bush's inaugural dinner in 1989, about 2,400 attendees dined on a chic American menu: crab pâté with dill dressing and walnut pepper bread; loin of veal stuffed with wild-mushroom and sage dressing; salad topped with Vermont cheddar; and for dessert, cranberry-apple brown betty.
As for the second Mr. Bush,
President George W. Bush's first inaugural dinner in 2001 maintained the American theme with a native seafood assortment, lamb, chard sautéed with cranberries, and a mushroom and corn soufflé. Dessert was an apple tart with cinnamon ice cream. At his second inaugural dinner, in 2005, guests enjoyed lobster medallions with orange and grapefruit sections, filet of beef tenderloin with asparagus, baby carrots, potatoes au gratin and Georgia peach crumble with vanilla ice cream.
So one Bush had crab, the other had lobster, but of course the J! writers wanted the players and the viewers to make the natural link of lobster=Massachusetts. As for what this article cites as JFK's menu...
Kennedy's inaugural dinners emphasized American specialties -- crab gumbo, lobster Newburg, even tuna salad.
I'm guessing that if they had included the crab gumbo, that might have helped more people make the connection to the bay State, or maybe that would have sent people off course looking toward Louisiana. I would bet that clam chowder would have been the most obvious food TOM to point people to Massachusetts, but I didn't see it on the menu for any of his inaugural dinners, although I did find it listed as one of the specialties of the White House Chef during Kennedy's tenure.

For completeness's sake, here is the full official menu of JFK's 1961 inaugural luncheon, from http://inaugural.senate.gov/history/chr ... dy1961.cfm
The Inaugural Luncheon was held in S-228, currently the Old Supreme Court Chamber, in the U.S. Capitol. The menu included cream of tomato soup with crushed popcorn; deviled crab meat imperial; New England boiled stuffed lobster with drawn butter; prime Texas ribs of beef au jus; sting beans amandine; broiled tomato; grapfruit and avocado sections with poppyseed dressing; hot garlic bread; butterflake rolls; pattiserie bateau blanche; mints and coffee
It now occurs to me that the crab gumbo and tuna salad were mentioned as being part of inaugural dinners, but not necessarily the official Inaugural Luncheon.

One more thing, the "patisserie bateau blanche" mentioned above, which was the dessert at Kennedy's luncheon, would be known in English as a white fruitcake, and as I quoted it above, it is incorrectly spelled in what I presume is the official Inaugural Record, maintained at senate.gov

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

As a New Yorker, I am aware of the Boston Lobsters and Boston Lobster Buffets they have up north.

This could however be east coast bias.. :(

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I ate at the hotel restaurant my first night in Boston a few years ago, and just about the only thing on the menu that didn't have lobster in it was the clam chowder. Yes, the FJ clue was poorly written, but it could definitely be reasoned out.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Suze wrote:Maine is the state known for lobster, not Mass. I'm from Massachusetts. They definitely have lobster fishing in Mass, and it's a popular food on the coast, but Mass isn't the lobster state, Maine is. Cheney can easily connect to beef, he's from Wyoming. I'm not saying JFK/LBJ isn't a legit response, it is, but it's a stupid question. Trivial, even. :P
Maybe Maine is the lobster state, but in my mind at least, I still tend to associate lobsters with Massachusetts, and Boston in particular. That association is definitely enhanced by World Team Tennis' Boston Lobsters. :D

In any case, while it wasn't an instaget, I did get the proper response, and felt it was a fair clue and not just pure trivia.

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I'm from Mass. too and had the exact same train of thought. Lobster=Maine, Kennebunkport=Bush I. At the Big E (Eastern States Exposition) in Springfield, everyone knows you go to the Maine exhibition for the lobster rolls and the Mass. one for clam chowder.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This is one of these instances where I can recount my exact thought process for FJ!:

"Lobster. Maine. Have we had any presidents from Maine? Coolidge? No, he was Vermont. I don't think that's a big lobster state, since it's not even on the coast. Who else is from New England -- duh, Kennedy. And LBJ, Texas, beef."

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

nserven wrote:
I'm from Mass. too and had the exact same train of thought. Lobster=Maine, Kennebunkport=Bush I. At the Big E (Eastern States Exposition) in Springfield, everyone knows you go to the Maine exhibition for the lobster rolls and the Mass. one for clam chowder.
Maybe those of us from other parts of the country (such as myself obviously), for whatever reason, tend to associate lobster with Massachusetts while those from Maine and Massachusetts (and maybe New England and the northeast in general) are more likely to think of Maine.

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Count me among those who thought lobster > Maine > KenneBushPort > Poppy and Quayle.

It didn't end up making any difference in the outcome, but I thought Preston got a free pass for his "andoolie" response when they were looking for "andouille."
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Frank Hardy wrote:Is Brandon emanating special brain waves which disrupt the thought processes of his opponents in Final Jeopardy?

When, if ever, was the last time a champion won his first two games entering FJ in third place and giving the only correct response?
Robin Woods won two games from third place, but only the second was a sole get; the first was a triple miss. (She could have won from third place on her third FJ too, were it not for some interesting wagers from second and first, who apparently, and rightly, were unconfident in the category.)

Sorry things didn't go better, Preston. I consider presidents a wheelhouse and I couldn't work out that FJ.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice job by Preston to get two DDs correct and to lead entering FJ. Brandon had to spoil things by winning with a sole solve from third which is never an easy path to victory.

Preston: Congrats on fine showings on two different game shows. You have plenty of time to go for another some time. Don't kick yourself too much over the DD wagers even with an extra thousand here and there perhaps being enough to stay above Brandon's double up.

The FJ clue had me jumping to New England off lobster. Kennedy vs. Bush for a starting point had me go with JFK, so there would be no problem specifying the proper Bush. LBJ for the other portion of the menu seemed fine for a Texan. The clue seems like the kind that could do exactly what happened tonight and that is sink the leader. I think it will poll higher than 33% tomorrow, but I suspect it won't go over 66%.

one-nil
Contributor

Post by one-nil »

'gratsz again to the CHAMP BRANDON, this time for Win #2. Cindy also would have been an acceptable victress.

After each Phillies home victory, they start playing "High Hopes" by Harry the K. Wonder if Brandon is doing the same!

Philalala > OK.
Proud Member of the Group of 360 (G360) Since 2007!

MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:For some reason, I never associated Utah with snow/skiing. I usually think of Colorado for that.

Utah I associate with Great Salt Lake, Mormons (did you know Brigham Young even founded a department store?), Osmonds, and SHeDAISY.

Utah has great skiing in Alta (?), and hosted the 2002 Olympics. Remember?

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I knew I was hosed on Rock & Roll when $400 was Pretenders, a band I've never heard of.
They're currently touring with Climax.

:mrgreen:

(Thank you, I'll be here all week! Try the lobster and prime rib!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I knew I was hosed on Rock & Roll when $400 was Pretenders, a band I've never heard of.
WTF??Guy wrote:!!!! :o :roll: !!!
Yeah, I'm with the new guy. ;)