Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, January 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Miss Mellie »

On FJ, I figured out JFK & LBJ and therefore don't have any complaints with the triviality of the clue. It'd be a different story if I had gotten it wrong.

I knew the license plate slogan for Kentucky thanks to my audition in Lexington. While we were driving from distillery to distillery on the Bourbon Trail (after the audition, of course), we even talked about how clever the slogan is. "Unbridled Spirit" = horses and liquor

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Budphrey wrote:Count me among those who thought lobster > Maine > KenneBushPort > Poppy and Quayle.
Yes - I have seen the phrase "Maine lobster" on menus many times - "Massachusetts lobster," not so much...
It didn't end up making any difference in the outcome, but I thought Preston got a free pass for his "andoolie" response when they were looking for "andouille."
Listening to it, he could just as plausibly be saying "andooillee," so I think, especially with a foreign word, it was fine to give him the benefit of the doubt.

eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I had the lobster= Mass.=JFK and LBJ. Then remembered, lobster is more = Maine. I'm not good about where Presidents come from, so Maine wasn't ringing any bells. So I figured Mass. was close enough, the whole New England thing and all.

I think, in general, when it comes to these kind of presidential questions, it's usually the more popular/ well known presidents. More JFK, Lincoln and Washington, less Fillmore, and Pierce. No offense to them.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Count me among those who thought lobster > Maine > KenneBushPort > Poppy and Quayle.
Yes - I have seen the phrase "Maine lobster" on menus many times - "Massachusetts lobster," not so much...
It didn't end up making any difference in the outcome, but I thought Preston got a free pass for his "andoolie" response when they were looking for "andouille."
Listening to it, he could just as plausibly be saying "andooillee," so I think, especially with a foreign word, it was fine to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I said it the same way. I've seen the stuff in Campbell's Chicken & Sausage Gumbo, but had no idea on the pronunciation so I took a stab.

I think it's really pronounced "ah", by the way. You know how French is, pronouncing only 2 letters in a 9 letter word.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Thought the "should rhyme" category was fairly lame. Also thought Preston should have gotten a bullet through his mullet for "andoolie".
Was fairly slack-jawed at final. Wasted time on the "traditional' wording thinking of multiply elected running mates. Then realized that was a red herring ( on the menu for Goerge W bush , I believe) I also was sort of trying to connect food to a running mate. How was that the 'category'"? In hte end i had no clue. But in thinking about it afterwards, it did occur to me that lobster was considered the worst catch by early fishermen. It was used for bait or fertilizer and only eaten by the poor. Also the issue of refrigeration leads to a later president. I'm old enough to remeber the 'au jus' affectation becoming popular around hte sixties. So there were TOMS. Just not any that I got. Was most dissapointed that no one used a perfectly good opportunity in 'page to screen' to ask something like 'Where is your Dick", Trebek?
Last edited by billy pilgrim on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

Dave2
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Dave2 »

CrunchyTaco wrote:Anyone else from the Detroit area watch this? If so, was it just me, or was the edit terrible? Think music lasted all of two seconds, no contestant interviews, if a question went unanswered they edited out the stand and stare and went immediately to Alex giving the correct response.
"Me too", on WDIV even before the non interviews after the 1st break, I thought I noticed an awkward edit... Final Jeopardy music cut in 1/2...

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Dave2 wrote:
CrunchyTaco wrote:Anyone else from the Detroit area watch this? If so, was it just me, or was the edit terrible? Think music lasted all of two seconds, no contestant interviews, if a question went unanswered they edited out the stand and stare and went immediately to Alex giving the correct response.
"Me too", on WDIV even before the non interviews after the 1st break, I thought I noticed an awkward edit... Final Jeopardy music cut in 1/2...
Did J! start a little late, or did the next show start a little early (or did it run a little long) necessitating the copious editing?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

dhkendall wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
Did J! start a little late, or did the next show start a little early (or did it run a little long) necessitating the copious editing?
"Taped" it from WDIV on the PVR... started normally, seemed to end at the usual time.. I should have saved the recording, and any other night I could have compared with our west coast feed (CBC, in Vancouver), but was too late tonight.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Dave2 wrote:
Someone on Facebook posted that Wheel also got edited. Apparently they needed room for some auto show.

WNEM just pre-empts it at random for some special on a hospital, or winter weather. Or a festival of lights. Or a Time-Life infomercial. Or the weatherman playing tissue paper and comb for 30 minutes.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
Someone on Facebook posted that Wheel also got edited. Apparently they needed room for some auto show.

WNEM just pre-empts it at random for some special on a hospital, or winter weather. Or a festival of lights. Or a Time-Life infomercial. Or the weatherman playing tissue paper and comb for 30 minutes.
Ah! That's it... I did notice a lot of auto show scenes while zipping through the commercials!

okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Hey, all! Thanks for the support and for watching! I'm Preston, by the way.

I'll post more tomorrow, but I wanted to say a few things:

FJ? Yeah, here was my thought process. The second the clue flashed on screen? Inaugural lunch - why would they ask about an inaugural lunch? Oh yeah, didn't Ted Kennedy pass out at the last inaugural lunch? That's pretty interesting. But it can't be Obama, can it? Ok, lobster. Lobster's from Maine. Who's from Maine? George HW has Maine ties. Crap time's running out. Better go with first instinct. Biden's a good ole boy...he'd like ribs, right? Sure. Shamefully, JFK/LBJ never even crossed my mind. Not sure why.

After getting home, Google told me that lobster was actually served at Obama's inaugural lunch, as part of a "seafood stew" he had. Apparently, they used six or seven Maine lobsters in the stew.

My Double Jeopardy DD bet? I knew we had less than a minute. We had the $800 and $2000 clue left. Cindy has $10,300. After the DD, I can choose the $800 clue. If she gets it right, she'd have $11,100. What can I wager to have $11,200 if I miss the DD? $1800. I'll go with that. My goal was to have the lead going into FJ, so I wagered $1,800 so I could protect my lead, because I was pretty sure we wouldn't have time for both the $800 and $2000 clues. Now why I didn't go for the $2000 clue after I got the DD right, I don't know.

Ok, all for now. More tomorrow, including why I hate the signaling device so much. Until then, thanks for all the support!

Onairb

Post by Onairb »

About that "Should Rhyme" category...'Dull' and 'Bull' do rhyme, the way I was taught to pronounce them (in other words, they're not pronounced 'dole' and 'bowl'.)
FJ! was ridiculous. I think sometimes, they let the 'new guys' on the staff come up with the FJ! clue...this made for a 'dull' and 'bull' finish!

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

On FJ did anyone else go with Lincoln/Hamlin?

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

harrumph wrote:On FJ did anyone else go with Lincoln/Hamlin?
I had that written down for 20 seconds or so, but I thought again when the person sitting next to me expressed the opinion that it was an easy question. Eventually I deduced that "running mates" referred to both of them, not just the VP, and the non-lobster dish didn't seem to have much in particular to do with Lincoln. "Ribs" brought bar-b-q sauce to mind, and then it all fell into place.
I'm smart and I want respect.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Onairb wrote:About that "Should Rhyme" category...'Dull' and 'Bull' do rhyme, the way I was taught to pronounce them (in other words, they're not pronounced 'dole' and 'bowl'.)
FJ! was ridiculous. I think sometimes, they let the 'new guys' on the staff come up with the FJ! clue...this made for a 'dull' and 'bull' finish!
But "dole" and "bowl" rhyme in my accent!

"Dull" rhymes with "hull," neither of which rhymes with "bull" and "full," which rhyme with each other. (Again, as I say them.)

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I liked the Should Rhyme category. Interesting collection of words.

Saw The Pretenders last year. Chrissie's still got it.

Sorry, I didn't think FJ was a very good clue. Went Bush/Cheney (Wyoming is pretty well known for beef as well). My stepdaughter lives on a lobstering island off Maine, so I couldn't get my head out of Maine. I believe the lobster haul in Massachusetts back in the 60's was much larger than today, so it was probably more of an association back then. It couldn't have been an early president, because lobster used to be considered to be slightly above pet food. Maine used to have a law that you could only feed lobster to prisoners a limited number of days per week. The lobstermen up there call them cockroaches of the sea, and they call kayaks speed bumps, but that's a different story entirely.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, Preston. You were looking pretty good up there.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lefty wrote:Eventually I deduced that "running mates" referred to both of them,
Crap. I never even thought of that.

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I'm going nuts trying to think of which actor/movie character Brandon resembles. Greg Kinnear? No, that's not it. He's just got a "look" that seems familiar. Anyone else have any thoughts?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woppy T wrote:I'm going nuts trying to think of which actor/movie character Brandon resembles. Greg Kinnear? No, that's not it. He's just got a "look" that seems familiar. Anyone else have any thoughts?
An actor in a way: Sheamus from WWE

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

lisa0012 wrote:
ej!fan wrote:I, too, was confused by the FJ clue. How can something be "traditional" if it only happened once?
I was confused by that too, but I think the dinner itself is traditional, not that particular pair's dinner.

I went straight to JFK/LBJ, figuring lobster=New England=JFK, then hoped the beef was good enough for LBJ, and couldn't think of a better pairing so stuck with it.

Good job Preston, was definitely rooting for you, very sorry to see you lose on a rough FJ!
I also went with the Kennedy-Johnson combo, figuring New England for lobsta, and Texas for beef.

And then I thought.... oh bleep, GHW Bush is a New Englander also....

But I couldn't connect Quayle with beef as well as I could LBJ, so I stuck with the first one.