Tuesday, September 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 pm
Foretopman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:52 pm Was I the only one who heard "Robinson Caruso"? I kept expecting a reversal on that.
That response was as primitive as can be.
:D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 pm Bonus JBoard-related fact: both times that a clue has asked for "Tuvalu", the .tv domain was used as a crucial hint (without it, Tuvalu would probably be the only remaining country yet to be an answer).
When I saw that the .tv domain was available, I knew I had to use that instead of .com. The story about Tuvalu's domain is both fascinating and sad.
davey

Post by davey »

Becky's response left the u unvoiced - kind of like the u in guard. Or Antigua! They're usually more lenient with foreign names. Alex said the problem was not enough syllables. Then they turn around and take too many syllables on Crusoe... :roll: Me, I take both...
Last edited by davey on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:28 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 pm
Foretopman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:52 pm Was I the only one who heard "Robinson Caruso"? I kept expecting a reversal on that.
That response was as primitive as can be.
Posts like this are part of why I like to join in here each week.
Agreed! But seriously, I wonder if the precedent would be used to justify accepting Ca-ruso...Unfortunately the only lyrics I found with Vanuatu don't help Becky out!

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Thinking about it some more, perhaps an equivalent is "athalete", which I believe is generally accepted. The judges seem to be a bit more lenient when the extra syllable is a common mispronunciation and/or schwa-like. (Unlike "athalete", "Caruso" is a thing, which could make a difference.)

When I was relatively new to quiz bowl, a moderator accepted an opponent's answer of "Bovary" for "Beauvoir", which I thought was questionable at the time and now think is egregious.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Had another decent coryat with 34,200.

Alex: "Scary category perhaps for final?"

Perhaps not. The clue could've simply read "this German design and architecture school" and it probably still would've polled over 70%. I sure wasn't about to miss it with around a dozen books on my shelves dedicated to Klee and Kandinsky, and a two inch thick, seven pound volume with BAUHAUS plastered big as life on the spine.
I would prefer not to.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Nobody else has mentioned Tom Lehrer yet -- as soon as I saw the FJ clue I got an earworm from "Alma, Tell Us" that lasted about half an hour.

"While married to Gus she met Gropius,
And soon she was swinging with Walter.
Gus died and her teardrops were copious.
She cried all the way to the altar.
But he would work late at the Bauhaus
And only came home now and then."

Then wound up humming "Elements" and "We'll All Go Together When We Go" for most of the rest of the evening.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Peachbox wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:00 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:51 pm
Vowela wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:33 pm Who were the people in the pre-FJ! commercial bumper?
John Lauderdale is the stage manager. Maggie Speak (no glasses) is a producer. Someone with more recent stage experience will have to identify the 3rd person.
Corina Nusu, senior contestant coordinator.
My first impulse is that the leftmost staffer in that shot was not one of the contestant coordinators, but a Standards and Practices person who stands by to closely watch while wagers are being written.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

For some reason I thought it was "Bahaus." Never again, I suppose.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RobW wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:09 pm
Peachbox wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:00 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:51 pm
Vowela wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:33 pm Who were the people in the pre-FJ! commercial bumper?
John Lauderdale is the stage manager. Maggie Speak (no glasses) is a producer. Someone with more recent stage experience will have to identify the 3rd person.
Corina Nusu, senior contestant coordinator.
My first impulse is that the leftmost staffer in that shot was not one of the contestant coordinators, but a Standards and Practices person who stands by to closely watch while wagers are being written.
Do those staffers need to be paid more? They were wearing the same thing on Monday and today. ;)
clprez

Post by clprez »

With the discussion around Crusoe/Caruso, I have to admit that when I heard the Gilligan Island theme while watching it as a kid, it took me a while to realize it was referring to Robinson Crusoe because they made it sound like it was three syllables.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm Nobody else has mentioned Tom Lehrer yet -- as soon as I saw the FJ clue I got an earworm from "Alma, Tell Us" that lasted about half an hour.

Then wound up humming "Elements" and "We'll All Go Together When We Go" for most of the rest of the evening.
+1
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm Nobody else has mentioned Tom Lehrer yet -- as soon as I saw the FJ clue I got an earworm from "Alma, Tell Us" that lasted about half an hour.

All among my favorites. Thanks for the reminder. This always makes me smile.

P.S, What am I running? A chow house?!

:D
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

clprez wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:28 pm With the discussion around Crusoe/Caruso, I have to admit that when I heard the Gilligan Island theme while watching it as a kid, it took me a while to realize it was referring to Robinson Crusoe because they made it sound like it was three syllables.
So you're saying that your ability to discern between Caruso and Crusoe wasn't...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...letter perfect.
colonialrampage
Valued Contributor

Post by colonialrampage »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 pm Thanks, Volante: In my mind I like "clinched the pennant" for winning the National League and not just the NL West though I understand when the term is used for wrapping up the division. One year off almost 30 years later can happen to anyone's memories. Fine reduced.
I'm late to this party, but I quickly knew she got the year wrong based on the baseball. But sometimes people get sports dates mixed up.

In hindsight, I think the stranger part is that she didn't know the year when she met her husband.