Friday, September 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS HALLS OF FAME

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Posthumously, Axel Paulsen was among the first group of inductees into the World Hall of Fame for this in 1976

Kyle Jones: 20800+0=20800 (3x = $58,800)
Riley Westmoreland: minus 400
Andrew Lundy: 10200-200=10000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Figure Skating (Andrew – Formula 1 racing)

Daily Doubles
Andrew: 600+1000
Andrew: 5600-3000
Kyle: 11000+1000

Coryats
Kyle: 21400
Riley: minus 400
Andrew: 13000

Combined: 34,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kyle: 8600
Riley: 2000
Andrew: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tough game for Riley with other than the chat with Alex, not heard from until clue 22. She did beat Andrew to the Canadian city clue for one moment in the sun.

The FJ! category had me hoping for something in the big sports while knowing there were plenty of other possibilities. The clue left me torn and I went the wrong way. For “Posthumously” I thought the guy may have died in an accident. Surfing. For “1976” I thought a newer sport like skateboarding. For “Axel” I thought perhaps figure skating name because of the move, but I had never heard of Mr. Paulsen.

For whatever reason I dismissed the best hint in the clue with the guy’s name and instead treated his name like he was a “bro” and wrote surfing. I strongly considered figure skating and went against it thinking 1976 was too late for a hall of fame.

Nice W-F sweep for Kyle to return for the next taping day. Will Alex have a beard next week or the votes will already be in?

David Madden and Jennifer Giles were the featured players today leaving 5 x 2 next week for a perfect lead-up to the draft.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:15 pm David Madden and Jennifer Giles were the featured players today leaving 5 x 2 next week for a perfect lead-up to the draft.
Apparently David Madden's wins happened two years earlier than they actually did.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I had no idea axle... err, axel jumps were named after a person. I just assumed they were called axle jumps because it looks like the skater is spinning on an axle. I can't be the only one who didn't know where the name of those jumps came from.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lots of tough top-box material for me: "Can you hear that?", Meghan Markle, honey curing coughs, or "my country, right or wrong" were all absolute NHOIs to me.

5/5 eludes me yet again, and in a wheelhouse category no less. I thought "Double animal names" was going to be things like gorilla gorilla, so I couldn't tease out the "each animal has a name that is two animals" trick in time to snag "sheepdog", but I got the next four with ease.

"Axel Paulsen" and 1976 meant literally nothing to me. I had no idea what to even guess. Like Vowela, I thought axel jumps were named for axles.

Lach trash: bone, spider crab, Ambrose Bierce
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

There is no reason whatsoever for Andrew not to wager everything in hopes that Kyle makes a math error.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TPH wrote:Like Vowela, I thought axel jumps were named for axles.
Me three. I guessed rugby.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I missed this game, and sad to do so, because this is the first time I've known someone before he/she was on the show. I won't get too specific on here for various reasons, but I used to know Riley's family when I was in undergrad years ago, and I can't say enough nice things about them--they're great people. In case you're out there lurking, congratulations on making it on the show, Riley! Sorry things didn't work out to the best, but I hope you still had fun!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 pm Lots of tough top-box material for me: "Can you hear that?", Meghan Markle, honey curing coughs, or "my country, right or wrong" were all absolute NHOIs to me.

5/5 eludes me yet again, and in a wheelhouse category no less. I thought "Double animal names" was going to be things like gorilla gorilla, so I couldn't tease out the "each animal has a name that is two animals" trick in time to snag "sheepdog", but I got the next four with ease.

"Axel Paulsen" and 1976 meant literally nothing to me. I had no idea what to even guess. Like Vowela, I thought axel jumps were named for axles.

Lach trash: bone, spider crab, Ambrose Bierce

weird...i missed all 3 of the trash you got correct, but i got the final correct
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

ouachiouat wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 pm I missed this game, and sad to do so, because this is the first time I've known someone before he/she was on the show. I won't get too specific on here for various reasons, but I used to know Riley's family when I was in undergrad years ago, and I can't say enough nice things about them--they're great people. In case you're out there lurking, congratulations on making it on the show, Riley! Sorry things didn't work out to the best, but I hope you still had fun!
do a search on youtube...it will be up within a day
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 pm
ouachiouat wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 pm I missed this game, and sad to do so, because this is the first time I've known someone before he/she was on the show. I won't get too specific on here for various reasons, but I used to know Riley's family when I was in undergrad years ago, and I can't say enough nice things about them--they're great people. In case you're out there lurking, congratulations on making it on the show, Riley! Sorry things didn't work out to the best, but I hope you still had fun!
do a search on youtube...it will be up within a day
The Reddit guy links are available: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I thought Axel Paulsen's name sounded familiar somewhere, and my guess of the axel etymology turned out to be correct.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Capitals + TV Guide = an easy 6k to start things off. And they got all of the capitals right!

For FJ, the year meant nothing, 'posthumous' didn't seem relevant, and the name didn't ring a bell, but after staring at the name for about 10 seconds, axel -> figure skating finally clicked. I'll join the chorus of people who thought the name of the Axel jump had something to do with rotation (and that it was spelled axle), but a get is a get. I'm sure it's been a clue before, and I probably missed it then, too. I wonder if we'll see an Ulrich Salchow or Alois Lutz clue soon.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I should've capitalized it. Sorry.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4492&p=273373#p273373

Unlike Morrison, that time it paid off :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:15 pm Will Alex have a beard next week or the votes will already be in?
I'll take the over at 99% that AT has a beard on next week's shows. But if he does have a time machine he should go back and give that boy credit for the "Emancipatation Proclamation" (or whatever it was).

So they will have to pretend it takes 2-3 months to count the ballots if he is to remove any facial hair. He's stuck with it for at least 2 more months. I think it makes his nose and ears look bigger, btw..

I got FJ by TOM'ing that it was an obscure name with no other helping TOM, so the name must be the TOM. And I was aware of the spelling of the maneuver so I had high confidence. First I learn that bogey in golf is someone's name, and now this. The learning never ends, but the forgetting is faster.

We have a steady player that just may be able to parlay the Monday advantage and a good opponent/category draw Tuesday for the TOC. The runaway cost him money today.

EDIT - I forgot - do we have any fluent Spanish/Mexican/Castilian speakers here who know if "muy bien" is acceptable for "very good"? I was learnt that "muy bien" is very well, and "muy bueno" is very good. Google Translate thinks so as well. But, I could see that they would be used interchangeably just like us Yankees do.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

31,800 coryat.

Ugh. Not only did I blank out on Phnom Penh (I pause on DDs and give myself only a few seconds after reading the question to count it but could only pull this one in about a minute), I first thought of figure skating for final but rejected it thinking the term was "axle" (and I'm fairly certain I've heard this fact before too :roll:). My scramble answer at the end was "hockey" based entirely on thinking "Axel Paulsen" seemed like a Canadian name.
I would prefer not to.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Axel Paulsen. Nordic name. Must be skiing." So ended my thought process.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I totally WAGged "figure skating," hoping that axels were named for a person.
Teems with quiet fun.