Friday, September 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, September 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bartleby »

30,400 coryat.

My brain flew past "Eurasian" and spent the whole time trying to pair any blue gem with any country, came up with zilch, and went with "sapphire" to put something down.
I would prefer not to.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,400
48 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: roundheads, War and Remembrance

I was rooting for my boy Chico (Dino), but it was not to be. He acquitted himself well, but Rob rocked the house.
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 pm Surprised at the triple whiff on FJ. A Eurasian country = Turkey ---> gem/color that sounds like Turkey. QED.
Ditto. Like (I suspect) most of us, I started with sapphire. When that didn't work, I took another look at the clue and saw "Eurasian." Bingo.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Golf wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:31 pm How many Eurasian countries can you name?

And please take the Bhutan discussion to the appropriate thread. Thanks.
depends on what definition you go with...one has 5 countries...one has 13 countries...the other has 90...i can name them all as i am sure most on here can
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

why isn't this an appropriate thread? it was part of the day's game in the title
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:55 am

why isn't this an appropriate thread? it was part of the day's game in the title
Sparring with TPH clutters up threads. I suspect, given your tendency to post several times in a row, that this doesn't matter much to you, but it matters to others, especially to those who have him blocked but see his posts brought into the light by people quoting him.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

$27,200 and a :( to wrap up the week. Missed the "Eurasian" part of the clue and went "gem that sounds like a country -> Tanzanite/Tanzania".
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lost out on the 50 50 90 guess between von Braun and Goddard.

All I had on FJ was cerulean. For some reason I was thinking in terms of ancient names for countries. Talk about a forehead slapper!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 pm Surprised at the triple whiff on FJ. A Eurasian country = Turkey ---> gem/color that sounds like Turkey. QED.

(That's based on an understanding that a Eurasian country is one situated in/on both continents - which could be a completely faulty, but in this case serendipitous, premise).
My thinking exactly. What other Eurasian country is there besides Russia, and Turkey leads directly to turquoise. I was expecting a triple get, and this finish was a shocker.

Nonetheless, many congrats to Kyle for a splendid run, and see you in the ToC!

And many congrats to Rob for a well-deserved, solid win.

LT today: Roundheads, Robert Goddard.

And if not for Buddha I'd have a 5-for-5 FJ week. Oh well, perfection is an illusion.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

48 R
LT: Roundheads, Naked Lunch, Andres Segovia, Robert H. Goddard
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:38 am 48 R
LT: Roundheads, Naked Lunch, Andres Segovia, Robert H. Goddard
Nice start to the season with 505R, 30/30 on DDs and 9/10 on FJs. Unless you would be absolutely terrible on the buzzer you would do well on the show.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I had no idea it's spelled turquoise in English, I always thought it was spelled turqoise like it is in French. Do you think they would've accepted turqoise?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:14 am I had no idea it's spelled turquoise in English, I always thought it was spelled turqoise like it is in French. Do you think they would've accepted turqoise?
Of course they would.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Hot, Cold or in Between (4), Terms in History (4), Help Me With the Title (3), Chris P. (3), Outside (2), Tender Inside (1)
Biblical Thing (1), Fewer Than 1 Million People (4), Lines From the TV Comedy (4), Giant Leap (4), Senators (4), Alternatives to Coachella? (1)

Lach Trash: Naked Lunch, Robert Goddard

Instaget FJ.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:14 am I had no idea it's spelled turquoise in English, I always thought it was spelled turqoise like it is in French. Do you think they would've accepted turqoise?
They would have accepted it, but it's spelled the same in French and English (with a U after the Q).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Isn't every country in Europe and Asia Eurasian? I know I wasn't certainly thinking that.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:07 pm Isn't every country in Europe and Asia Eurasian? I know I wasn't certainly thinking that.
Exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasia

However, for J purposes it's useful to know that the only uses by the writers of "Eurasian" in the archive, as shown upthread, have been as a Pavlov for Turkey. But if you didn't know that, there was zero reason from the wording of the clue to immediately narrow down the country to Turkey or Russia.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:07 pm Isn't every country in Europe and Asia Eurasian? I know I wasn't certainly thinking that.
Sure. But why would the writers feel the need to use that particular adjective? Would they really use it if the response was Spain or Bhutan? I tend to think not.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:47 am

And if not for ____________ I'd have a 5-for-5 FJ week. Oh well, perfection is an illusion.
Spoiler alert - you might edit and hide your nemesis answer. Sometimes we catch up out of order. Didn't hurt me as I wouldn't have got it either, even with my time machine.

Just playing the FJ clues from the road - I started with the aquamarine angle with nothing to support it and mentally thought of the precious stones first, then started through the colors and liked turquoise when I got to it but like AFRET had always assumed it was a native American word.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:45 pm Sure. But why would the writers feel the need to use that particular adjective? Would they really use it if the response was Spain or Bhutan? I tend to think not.
Exactly. As we all know, there are hints hidden in many clues, some more subtle than others. TPTB aren't going to say "out of these approximately 100 countries, pick the one where a gem can be derived from it's name". This FJ was nothing more than seeing if the contestants can correctly parse the clue. Which can sometimes be more difficult than memorizing trivial bits.
billiej

Post by billiej »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 pm And the extra 3.4 seconds wouldn't have helped with turquoise, anyway. I've always thought of it in relation to the American southwest -- guess I thought it may have come from a Native American language.
I thought of turquoise and dismissed it for this reason. If I had paid more attention to the "Eurasion" part of the clue, I might have thought, "hey, Turkey kinda sounds like turquoise..." Woulda coulda shoulda. Maybe given another 30 seconds I would've figured that out, maybe not. :x