Friday, September 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COLOR ETYMOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word for a gem & a shade of blue derives from the name of a Eurasian country from which gems came to Western Europe

Kyle Jones: 10600-5000=5600
Rob Salerno: 24300-2200=22100 (New Champ)
Dino Alexander: 7600-3001=4599

Correct response:
Spoiler
turquoise (Kyle – azure) (Rob – sapphire Pruss) (Dino – topaz)

Daily Doubles
Kyle: 1000+1000
Rob: 7000+3000
Rob: 13200+3500

Coryats
Kyle: 10600
Rob: 21400
Dino: 7600

Combined: 39,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kyle: 4200
Rob: 3400
Dino: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Warning: Search on YouTube for “maury chicken tetrazzini” or “rob salerno comedy” at your own risk. My ears! My eyes!

I only found one previous clue in the Archive that had the gem/country match: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

That’s not enough for it to have stuck with me, so it has to be some other game show or trivia book that made today’s clue one when I could lock it in and put the pen down for a no-doubter. It’s easy if you know it or figure it out, while it happens a lot that such a clue can go 0/3 for contestants trying to figure out quickly a pairing for gem and country.

It’s nice when that kind of stumper does not decide the match. Rob earned his runaway victory and Kyle was gone no matter how the FJ! round played out.

Draft day tomorrow at 10PT/1ET. You’ve been reminded.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Surprised at the triple whiff on FJ. A Eurasian country = Turkey ---> gem/color that sounds like Turkey. QED.

(That's based on an understanding that a Eurasian country is one situated in/on both continents - which could be a completely faulty, but in this case serendipitous, premise).
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 pm Surprised at the triple whiff on FJ. A Eurasian country = Turkey ---> gem/color that sounds like Turkey. QED.
I 100% agree, IF your 30-second line of reasoning happened to start with the word "Eurasia." From there it really should be an easy stroll to the answer.

But I (and the contestants too, I suspect...) was primed by the category to start out thinking of color words - blue has some really fun color words! Azure? Cerulean? Cyan? Teal? Sapphire? (I hope you think of turquoise - but I didn't :(

How about blue gems? Sapphire! Hmm that doesn't sound like any country does it?

</tympani>
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

RobW wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:31 pm How about blue gems? Sapphire! Hmm that doesn't sound like any country does it?

</tympani>
I spent maybe 3.4 seconds with "Sapphire? Sappho? Wait, that's a person, and the island she was from wasn't a country anyway." Then I whiffed with topaz, wondering if Topkapi and topaz might come from the same linguistic root. They don't.

And the extra 3.4 seconds wouldn't have helped with turquoise, anyway. I've always thought of it in relation to the American southwest -- guess I thought it may have come from a Native American language.

Almost went with lapus lazuli since I remember seeing somewhere it was mined in the Caucasus Mountains. Too bad Lapland isn't a few hundred miles further east.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I couldn't think of the FJ answer either, but once seeing what it was, I'm still a bit surprised none of the players were able to get it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:36 pm Surprised at the triple whiff on FJ. A Eurasian country = Turkey ---> gem/color that sounds like Turkey. QED.

(That's based on an understanding that a Eurasian country is one situated in/on both continents - which could be a completely faulty, but in this case serendipitous, premise).
I tried your idea of Eurasian country and here are the Archive hits: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lots of NHOIs for me today: Boer war, Comedy of Errors, anything in the Chris category except Archer, Elizabeth Warren, Veep, and King of Wakanda were all utterly unfamiliar to me.

However, I ran Hot/Cold and Biblical.

Any reason I should know Bhutan is in the Himalayas and not any other random ass mountain range?

Got the Lach Trash on Catahoula thanks to the Bellamy Brothers song of the same name.

Blah blah blah Eurasia, got to Turkey->Turqouoise before he was even done reading the clue.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 pm Lots of NHOIs for me today: Boer war, Comedy of Errors, anything in the Chris category except Archer, Elizabeth Warren, Veep, and King of Wakanda were all utterly unfamiliar to me.

Any reason I should know Bhutan is in the Himalayas and not any other random ass mountain range?

Got the Lach Trash on Catahoula thanks to the Bellamy Brothers song of the same name.

Blah blah blah Eurasia, got to Turkey->Turqouoise before he was even done reading the clue.
how many mountain ranges in asia can you name?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I WISH I could be unfamiliar with Fauxcahontas... :lol:

Started w/Prussian, got to Turquoise in time.

And THAT is how you beat a multi-day champion.
8-)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:48 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 pm Lots of NHOIs for me today: Boer war, Comedy of Errors, anything in the Chris category except Archer, Elizabeth Warren, Veep, and King of Wakanda were all utterly unfamiliar to me.

Where in the clue did it even say Asia? OH WAIT IT DIDN'T.

"The 750,000 people of Bhutan live in these mountains, which include the 24,800-foot Gangkar Puensum."

Bhutan is a very very very very very very very obscure country that seems to have had no sociopolitical impact on the world, ever. It could be in Europe, Asia, Africa, or Jupiter for all I know.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:55 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Where in the clue did it even say Asia? OH WAIT IT DIDN'T.

"The 750,000 people of Bhutan live in these mountains, which include the 24,800-foot Gangkar Puensum."

Bhutan is a very very very very very very very obscure country that seems to have had no sociopolitical impact on the world, ever. It could be in Europe, Asia, Africa, or Jupiter for all I know.
i know it didn't say asia...but it is a known asian country...plus it is was in the top box....even if one didn't know it was in asia, what other mountain range would it be in? the alps? one would have heard of that as a country since the world is euro centric...andes? doesn't sound so south american....so by default himalayas should have been a gimme...sometimes you make this game too difficult when it comes to the top box
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:02 pm i know it didn't say asia...but it is a known asian country...plus it is was in the top box....even if one didn't know it was in asia, what other mountain range would it be in? the alps?
Literally any of these.
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:02 pmone would have heard of that as a country since the world is euro centric...andes? doesn't sound so south american....so by default himalayas should have been a gimme...sometimes you make this game too difficult when it comes to the top box
"Sounds like" is literally the worst TOM ever.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Rob was visibly flustered with the signaling device during the first segment. I think it was more to do with Kyle's superior timing, but Rob turned it around nicely in the DJ round. It was like Kyle just finally ran out of steam but I wonder if the board yeilded less than favorable categories for him.
Good to see Rob win a pile but I'm not sure he'll have the staying power.
DBear wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:51 pm I WISH I could be unfamiliar with Fauxcahontas... :lol:
I precalled she would be one of the clues and BAM, right out of the gate...
Also had a strong hunch Pelosi and Bernie would show up. J! you're so predictable.
Golf

Post by Golf »

How many Eurasian countries can you name?

And please take the Bhutan discussion to the appropriate thread. Thanks.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 pm Lots of NHOIs for me today: Boer war
That's the third time you've never heard of it.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Only two countries I would describe as "Eurasian" - Russia and Turkey. Boom, done.

Dino used to be a LLama. He came in third on my Mission: Impossible 1DS, which was notoriously difficult (he was the only person other than RautY to get all 12 correct). IIRC, his QPct was pretty high - like > 90%. He stopped playing between LL69 and LL70 and is now listed as "no longer active".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:01 pm It was like Kyle just finally ran out of steam but I wonder if the board yeilded less than favorable categories for him.
If so, he wouldn’t be alone. Bible and TV are my very weakest common categories, and to be confronted with both in DJ is the one scenario I dread happening under the lights. Of course, I could be proactive and learn the Bible a little better... and really, today’s clues weren’t too bad; that DD was quite deducible. (OTOH, I whiffed on the San Marino DD, despite it being my immediate thought; that 60 million population figure made me think of France and therefore fixate on Monaco, which is of course not completely surrounded.)

Anyway, I get to finally check the 5/5 box tomorrow, so I can’t complain too much. Like Mark, I’d heard that fact somewhere in a trivia game or something; otherwise, I might have been in more trouble.