Monday, January 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, January 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:My reaction to the FJ clue: Tonight would have been a good night for Larissa Kelly to have missed the show.
But when Cibola was rebounded with El Dorado you didn't think of me?

I knew there was one name that four kings in a row had. I also knew that Mad King George was on the throne a heck of a long time. Not knowing for sure which name there was four of, I decided that I thought I had heard that George I started in the 17th century, while George III crossed into the 19th (incorrect on the former count, but at least it was true of their lives). That was good enough for me, and the fact that it was a ToC-winning response made me feel superstitiously positive about it. It wasn't until twenty minutes or so after the show ended that I realized that I wasn't sure when George IV came around, and that he was probably the fourth in a row.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'll forgive HEW although that should have been hit as well.
Probably, but it took me a second or two to dredge up the correct wording and I was around when it was called that (but none of them may have been, HEW not having been around since 1979). So, I too will forgive them.

"Up the river" .... hmmm ... might have to keep the neg there.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote: Probably, but it took me a second or two to dredge up the correct wording and I was around when it was called that (but none of them may have been, HEW not having been around since 1979). So, I too will forgive them.
HEW is burned into my brain by the 1959 novel "Alas, Babylon," in which the (female) Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare has become the president following a nuclear war (the book even refers to it as the most junior of Cabinet departments).
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

StevenH wrote:I have never laughed as hard at an incorrect answer as I did at Mike's response of "donkey" in the J! round. That might get on Youtube.
It is on the front page of Reddit right now. (Click here, but be warned that the discussion gets pretty crass, not surprisingly.)
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

goforthetie wrote:
StevenH wrote:I have never laughed as hard at an incorrect answer as I did at Mike's response of "donkey" in the J! round. That might get on Youtube.

I thought that this was a very difficult board. I don't blame the contestants for the low scores.
There were a huge number of negs - Mike in particular seemed to be guessing on every other clue. I wouldn't be surprised to see the total amount of negs come close to quintuple figures.
Thanks to the quick work of the archivists (as always), I counted the total amount of money lost in this game (not counting the missed DD) to be $18000. Yikes! Anyone know what the record is?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Anyone surprised the judges missed not one, but two wrong answers by the first break?
I wonder if they've been letting responses like that go in the interests of momentum. Or maybe Alex is having more trouble seeing the judges frantically signalling...

MarkBarrett wrote:

The Wide Receivers category was insultingly easy as the scoreboard showed with 1000s across for each player. That makes me think all three players knew them all and divided the buzzer. Yes, it's a first round category, but make the players prove something.
Insultingly easy? Not everybody cares about football. I know, I'm un-American. I happened to know the $1000 clue because I grew up in western PA...

For FJ, I thought of George immediately but second-guessed to Henry because there were more of them. Remembering the length of George III's reign might have helped...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:As for Final Jeopardy, I debated between Henry, George, Edward, and may have even briefly considered Richard or James. I ended up going with Edward, which as it turned out was the second best answer, but I don't think closest wrong answer is ever worth anything in Final Jeopardy. Edward I, II, and III ruled from 1272 to 1377, for 105 years, while George I, II, III, and IV lasted from 1714 to 1830, for 116 years, with George III accounting for over half of that span, with 60 years himself. I knew George III was around for an incredibly long time, and I guess I should have let that be the deciding factor, but I also knew that George V and VI weren't until the 20th century, and I was skeptical that all 4 prior Georges had come consecutively, and lasted for that long of a time period.
For you and other boardies, I present a little ditty that I came across (wouldn't be at all surprised if someone on the board was the one who first pointed this my way) to get your English kings right. It was a real help with this FJ, as you couldn't help but notice the sequentially named kings in the song. (Was thinking it might be "Ed, Ed, Ed", but settled on the Georges due to Trey's longevity ... )
CyrusChan wrote:One thing, I'd like to add is: the ever-popular Maori people come out again!
Those darned Maori. ;)

(Speaking of which, when was the last time those darned proto-Italians had their own category about them?)
MarkBarrett wrote:My reaction to the FJ clue: Tonight would have been a good night for Larissa Kelly to have missed the show.
Oh good, I wasn't the only one. :mrgreen:

(Average performance and actually didn't pick up as insane amounts of Lach Trash as most of my fellow boardies, but I did pick up tons in the Coats of Arms category, and really wish I saw more as I was well on my way in running it.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Hey, donkey punch is technically correct.

What a bizarre game. One of those where I yell at the TV, "Stop guessing!" And one where I could answer almost all the triple stumpers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:Thanks to the quick work of the archivists (as always)
You're welcome. :)
dhkendall wrote:For you and other boardies, I present a little ditty that I came across (wouldn't be at all surprised if someone on the board was the one who first pointed this my way) to get your English kings right.
That is brilliant!

There's also this, although it isn't nearly as much fun:

Willie, Willie, Harry, Ste,
Harry, Dick, John, Harry three;
One two three Neds, Richard two,
Harrys four five six, ... then who?
Edwards four five, Dick the bad,
Harrys (twain), Ned (the lad);
Mary, Bessie, James the vain,
Charlie, Charlie, James again.
Will and Mary, Anna Gloria,
Georges four, then Will, Victoria;
Edward seven, George and Ted,
George the sixth, now Liz instead.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

thenextofken wrote:P.S. With all due respect to the players, this has to be one of the lowest scoring games in a long time, at least Coryatt-wise.
I believe tonight's was the lowest Combined Coryat in a game since this one from December 2005.
goforthetie wrote:Thanks to the quick work of the archivists (as always), I counted the total amount of money lost in this game (not counting the missed DD) to be $18000. Yikes! Anyone know what the record is?
I found $20,400 from this game and $12,500 from a pre-doubled game (which IMO is one of the ugliest ones ever; the Combined Coryat is the lowest one in the Archive).
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Mike and Brandon kept shooting themselves in the foot in DJ! (Mike especially, from what I remember), so it's not as if Betsy had to work EXTRA hard to maintain her lock, but I thought she played very well today. She had kind of a sneaky way of building her lead that impressed me. In the J! round, I didn't even notice she was so far ahead until midway through. She definitely hit a rough patch in the first half of the DJ! round, but overall, I'm very interested to see how she does tomorrow (and against two new boardies, no less).

The boards weren't completely amazing, but there were some good categories (at least for me) hidden among the rubble. I ran TV Guides (one of my wheelhouses, so it wasn't a shock).

FJ, I had a nagging feeling that Henry was too obvious, but I stuck with the name anyway. George didn't even come to me whatsoever. :oops:
Last edited by barandall800 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote:Insultingly easy? Not everybody cares about football.
Agreed.

I'm surprised that one TOC game with the 24 triple-stumpers and single-player FJ! didn't produce the lowest Coryat.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Vanya wrote:Hey, donkey punch is technically correct.
It would seem to clearly be an "alternate response".

FJ! might have been a painful one for Larissa Kelly to see. (I would have loved to have had it, of course).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote:Tonight's game had an early litmus stumper. No one got Klondike?
I hate to admit this, but I didn't even know that there was a Klondike River; I thought that Klondike was just the name of a region, so I guessed incorrectly with Mackenzie.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cheezguyty wrote:I believe tonight's was the lowest Combined Coryat in a game since this one from December 2005.
Having a lock with $4,200 is definitely indicative of a low-scoring game.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

davey wrote:

Insultingly easy? Not everybody cares about football. I know, I'm un-American. I happened to know the $1000 clue because I grew up in western PA...
Lynn Swann hosted To Tell the Truth for 14 weeks in 1990-91, replacing Gordon Elliott. Lynn Swann was replaced as TTTT host by ...... ALex Trebek.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

thenextofken wrote:P.S. With all due respect to the players, this has to be one of the lowest scoring games in a long time, at least Coryatt-wise. I out-Coryatted the players by myself, and that may have been a first.
I don't think it's disrespectful to point out a fact, namely that the three players went into FJ with a 3-person score barely above $11K, far less than the score of a single player in most games. For whatever reason(s) these three just weren't setting the boards on fire.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
I had Up the River instead of Creek. Should I keep my neg or also get sent to Sing Sing. Or in the case of the new show tonight, Alcatraz?
Funny, around here that phrase doesn't have a "the" in the middle. "Up (blank) creek" is an entirely different phrase. I knew what they were looking for, but it's a good thing I wasn't on this game or I would have cracked up rather badly.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

davey wrote:
For FJ, I thought of George immediately but second-guessed to Henry because there were more of them. Remembering the length of George III's reign might have helped...
Remembering the 60-year reign of George III was the MAIN thing that helped me guess (and I do mean guess) this one correctly.
DHodge

Post by DHodge »

I watched this game from the audience. Some thoughts:

I was fairly glad that I did not have to play this board, for the most part. The questions seem relatively easy in retrospect (I was surprised that blank the blank had so many negs) but I was having trouble coming up with a lot of the others from the audience (muscles in particular was a complete loss for me.)

There was a very long break during the halfway point of the J! round while the judges talked the reversals over. I was expecting a reversal on 'slow hands' but didn't catch Brandon's mistake.

Betsy did a good job of consolidating her lead in DJ. she had $4000 of negs right at the end of DJ when the outcome was already sewn up, which hurt her final score. Just didn't appear to be Mike's or Brandon's day.

I saw Mike in the hotel lobby tape-day morning and immediately identified him as a Jeopardy rival :lol: I also got to spend some time with Brandon after taping in the hotel lobby, and he was a very nice guy who seemed very pleased at becoming a 2-day champion; can't say I blame him!
Last edited by DHodge on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.