Monday, January 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, January 16, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

9 right in the first round. 8 in the second. I also correctly answered FJ. I was torn between James and George and I correctly went with George. I nailed the Whale DD n DJ. I was REALLY upset at the muscles category because I answered maximus instead of minimus and biceps instead of triceps. Good thing I am a sports nut because I swept the opening category and got the first question right in the "Slow" category.
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

JFanForever wrote:9 right in the first round. 8 in the second. I also correctly answered FJ. I was torn between James and George and I correctly went with George. I nailed the Whale DD n DJ. I was REALLY upset at the muscles category because I answered maximus instead of minimus and biceps instead of triceps. Good thing I am a sports nut because I swept the opening category and got the first question right in the "Slow" category.
I was torn between Richard and Henry, and Henry seemed way too obvious, so I went with Richard. On the DD, I counted off because I said "Blue Whale," and also fell in the maximus/minimus trap. On triceps, the key is they said "Three heads," and obviously, three=tri.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

P.S. With all due respect to the players, this has to be one of the lowest scoring games in a long time, at least Coryatt-wise. I out-Coryatted the players by myself, and that may have been a first.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

14 right in each round.

J! REALLY needs to fix something if we're so completely incapable of finishing a round. There's no excuse for this crap.

As soon as Wide Receivers came up, I instantly marked the entire category with horizontal lines (On my score sheets, horizontal line = no or wrong response, diagonal line = right response).

Precalled slow motion in Slow category. I would've laughed if it were a self-demonstrating, prerecorded clue.

Interestingly, there were two clues I remembered seeing from, of all things, YouTube Poops based on Jeopardy! (Sartorius and Slow Hand).

Anyone surprised the judges missed not one, but two wrong answers by the first break?

Earth for $800 — I know pretty well the story of Moses crossing the desert, but I never knew the desert had a name.

Could've run TV Guide, but I blanked on Dog Whisperer and clammed on Smallville.

Absolutely lost on FJ!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

English Monarchs
Since 1066, the longest consecutive period when the monarch had the same name was 116 years with this given name.
Spoiler
What is George? Brandon said Henry
Betsy Schroeder: $9,200+$3,000=$12,200...now a 1-day champion with $12,200
Mike Hatch: $1,100+$550=$1,650
Brandon Libby: $1,000-$1,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I have never laughed as hard at an incorrect answer as I did at Mike's response of "donkey" in the J! round. That might get on Youtube.

I thought that this was a very difficult board. I don't blame the contestants for the low scores.
Last edited by StevenH on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

Just came home to find that my DVR apparently didn't think this was a new episode (no idea why!), and I only caught the second half of DJ!

*grumble grumble grumble*
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:.
Why do you always post this?

ETA: I, too, said donkey punch. And you wonder why I clam on right answers so often... because when I DON'T, I do stupid crap like that. :D
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
You know, TPH, a lot of people, probably against their better judgment, have defended you recently. You might want to lay off jumping on someone for providing a basic service to people who can't see the episode but are curious about the Final Jeopardy question. You know, because you're polite, and grateful that you weren't sent back to Wikipedia to edit articles on strip malls.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin Powers wrote:You know, TPH, a lot of people, probably against their better judgment, have defended you recently. You might want to lay off jumping on someone for providing a basic service to people who can't see the episode but are curious about the Final Jeopardy question. You know, because you're polite, and grateful that you weren't sent back to Wikipedia to edit articles on strip malls.
No need for the rudeness. And quit playing the Wikipedia card already, it's getting old.

I have no clue how you thought it was "jumping on" him. Whenever I see Jeff's post, all I see in them is a period. I was just curious why he makes a post every day with nothing but a period on it.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
When I can, I do that as a placeholder, so that I can later edit in the FJ clue and player scores. On the old board, I think there was someone who got the show early who used to post the FJ clue so it was always near the top of the first page. I try to get it as high on the page as possible, so that people who haven't seen it can find the FJ clue without having to scroll past a bunch of discussion of the clue and/or possible answers, thereby risking spoiling themselves before having a chance to see if they know it. (*ETA* I certainly didn't think you were "jumping on me", and it seemed like a perfectly reasonable question to me.)
TenPoundHammer wrote: J! REALLY needs to fix something if we're so completely incapable of finishing a round. There's no excuse for this crap.
I agree with you there, it is starting to get a little ridiculous that we can't ever clear the board, even in games where there don't appear to be any obviously slow players or a great amount of wrong answers/triple stumpers. Maybe they had budget cuts and have had to start squeezing in extra commercials or sponsor ads, or maybe Alex is taking longer on the interviews than he used to. I don't know what it is, but it is quite annoying.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Anyone surprised the judges missed not one, but two wrong answers by the first break?
I'm glad you mentioned that, since I FFed through the interviews and missed both corrections. I did notice both as they happened, and wondered if either one might be corrected. I wasn't positive that "Slow Hands" was wrong for Clapton, but I thought it didn't sound right, and I could understand Alex and the judges missing that one. But "trap-ez--us" sounded so jarring and clearly mis-pronounced that I didn't understand how they could have missed it. Heck, it even screwed up the rhyme scheme.

As for Final Jeopardy, I debated between Henry, George, Edward, and may have even briefly considered Richard or James. I ended up going with Edward, which as it turned out was the second best answer, but I don't think closest wrong answer is ever worth anything in Final Jeopardy. Edward I, II, and III ruled from 1272 to 1377, for 105 years, while George I, II, III, and IV lasted from 1714 to 1830, for 116 years, with George III accounting for over half of that span, with 60 years himself. I knew George III was around for an incredibly long time, and I guess I should have let that be the deciding factor, but I also knew that George V and VI weren't until the 20th century, and I was skeptical that all 4 prior Georges had come consecutively, and lasted for that long of a time period.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

StevenH wrote:I have never laughed as hard at an incorrect answer as I did at Mike's response of "donkey" in the J! round. That might get on Youtube.

I thought that this was a very difficult board. I don't blame the contestants for the low scores.
There were a huge number of negs - Mike in particular seemed to be guessing on every other clue. I wouldn't be surprised to see the total amount of negs come close to quintuple figures.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

snap! I answered the wrong question for FJ. lol I glanced and thought it was asking 1066 ruler. Ah

One thing, I'd like to add is: the ever-popular Maori people come out again!

Very high coryat today :)
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

This was a disappointing game to watch. Too many negs and neither of the guys ever got going. Betsy did okay but seemed to get ahead of herself at times. It is interesting that she could have maintained her lock with a mere $2201.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

jeff6286 wrote: When I can, I do that as a placeholder, so that I can later edit in the FJ clue and player scores. On the old board, I think there was someone who got the show early who used to post the FJ clue so it was always near the top of the first page. I try to get it as high on the page as possible, so that people who haven't seen it can find the FJ clue without having to scroll past a bunch of discussion of the clue and/or possible answers, thereby risking spoiling themselves before having a chance to see if they know it. (*ETA* I certainly didn't think you were "jumping on me", and it seemed like a perfectly reasonable question to me.)
Which gives me an opportunity to let you know how much I appreciate it. Thank you.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

FJ was particularly easy for me today. I remember that particular sequence of monarchs in a sing-song way.

"…James, Charles, Charles, James,
William and Mary and Anne,
George, George, George, George…"

Plus, knowing George III ruled for a really long time made it an insta-get.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

I also came up with donkey punch, thinking that a rabbit punch was a shot to the kidneys. I probably shoudn't get into what I understand to be a true donkey punch. For once I actually kept track of how much lach trash I picked up and in DJ alone there were 8 of them. Thought about how long mad King George ruled and kneww there were two before him so with about five seconds left changed my answer to Henry. Felt like I got donkey punched. Ouch!
Le Flaneur
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I also mistook TPH's quote of Jeff's daily post (by only using a period) as not wanting to repost all of the FJ information and wondering why it's being done. Since I don't go to this thread until after seeing the game I never knew Jeff saved a post spot with only a period. Perhaps something along the lines of placeholder for FJ would be more clear what is being done. That TPH was not able to figure out after all these days what Jeff was doing was par for the course, but I get the unintentional confusion.

Slow Hands was on my sheet and I knew Mike would be busted. My 0-fer in the Masseuse category had me not catching Brandon's mistake.

The Wide Receivers category was insultingly easy as the scoreboard showed with 1000s across for each player. That makes me think all three players knew them all and divided the buzzer. Yes, it's a first round category, but make the players prove something.

Tonight's game had an early litmus stumper. No one got Klondike? No TOCers today. I'll forgive HEW although that should have been hit as well.

I had Up the River instead of Creek. Should I keep my neg or also get sent to Sing Sing. Or in the case of the new show tonight, Alcatraz?

I'm hopeful all the Big Bang Theory chatter from here and the old board helped at least one boardie tonight?

My reaction to the FJ clue: Tonight would have been a good night for Larissa Kelly to have missed the show.