Friday, September 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC FILMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In this ’70s Oscar-winning film, the title character’s 1st words are “Why did you go to the police? Why didn’t you come to me first?”

Evelyn Rubin: 4600+1500=6100
Andrew Knudsen: 12800+6801=19601 (New Champ)
Barbara Gooby: 9800+3800=13601

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Godfather

Daily Doubles
Andrew: 1800+1800
Andrew: 14800-2000
Evelyn: 6600-2000

Coryats
Evelyn: 6600
Andrew: 13600
Barbara: 9800

Combined: 30,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Evelyn: 1000
Andrew: 3600
Barbara: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Barbara was Dennis Rodman with four rebounds.

In the J! round Evelyn got clue 27 and that left 3 choices to find DD1. $200 was the pick. Andrew got that clue and made the wiser move going to $600 where the DD was hiding.

Evelyn found DD3 on clue 30 with a chance to go for the lead. Nope, standard $2000. She missed the clue so the wager did not cost her the game.

The FJ! had me lock in a 5/5 for the week and put my pen down. My problem was 30 seconds remaining to try to get myself in trouble as Alex’s reading of the clue gave me a Sly Stallone vibe. I had to assure myself that I had the right movie and the quote was nothing about Paulie being in trouble.

Evelyn got her album signed and it was very unfortunate to see Johnny having trouble with her name:
Spoiler
Along with her parting gift, Evelyn is the only person with that name in the Archive to have won a game.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Can we get a petition going - or something - to keep Alex from trying to do impressions while reading clues?? Especially FJ clues. Has he looked into fulfilling his thespian needs by performing in community theater somewhere??

Because besides the fact that he's generally not very good with them, it's at least a bit unfair because even his muddled accent today could have been a tip-off to one or more of the contestants. :evil:

(Poll request for those who got the clue based on Alex's reading?).

And too bad for Evelyn on missing that DD - although maybe it was a blessing in disguise since she would have only been set up for a disappointing loss on FJ.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Because besides the fact that he's generally not very good with them, it's at least a bit unfair because even his muddled accent today could have been a tip-off to one or more of the contestants. :evil:

Hmm. I'm not sure whether I would have gotten this one without the impression; I was starting to cast about for 70s movies in my head; maybe I would have gotten there and maybe not. Then he went into the impression and it became a cinch.

That said -- in what sense would it be unfair? Everyone has access to the same information...

Now, whether or not it's tacky -- that's an open question, and a matter of taste. I don't much mind it, personally.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Saturnalia wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:14 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Hmm. I'm not sure whether I would have gotten this one without the impression; I was starting to cast about for 70s movies in my head; maybe I would have gotten there and maybe not. Then he went into the impression and it became a cinch.

That said -- in what sense would it be unfair? Everyone has access to the same information...

Now, whether or not it's tacky -- that's an open question, and a matter of taste. I don't much mind it, personally.
It's unfair in the sense that they give you the category and first line from the movie. If one contestant knew the answer with just that, but the other two only got it after Alex's delivery, that's unfair to that one contestant. Put another way, Alex shouldn't be giving extra hints to the clue; if they want to do a video or something else along with the written text, they're perfectly capable of doing that.

Plus, I cringe whenever Alex does his impressions. It's like that kid who begs for attention - except Alex isn't a kid.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO colophon (only one other archive hit) or frontispiece. I thought that was tough for the top box.

Hated the SpaceX clues. They were all way too long. I lost track of the "this" in $200 because it was so early and forgot what they were even asking.

I don't recognize the name Jane Rizzoli at all. Only 5 other archive hits. Given my mom's affinity for crime dramas, I'm surprised she never touched that show.

Blanked on "jambalaya" for 4/5 in the food category. I knew toasted ravioli because I discovered it last time I went to St. Louis, and I knew aioli this time because the McDonald's I work at test-marketed a garlic white cheddar burger that had aioli on it.

Also can't say I recognize Diego Rivera, or anything that came up in Authors except Ayn Rand.

Ran 3 Consonants No Vowel.

I'm a nearly lifelong piano player and I've NHO "stride".

Lach Trash: fire extinguisher, zzz

No guess on FJ! "70's movies" was just way too big a category to sift through even during the commercial break. Even the impression didn't help any.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I don't think that it was objectively a hard clue, but as someone who is not a movie buff I can't say for sure that I would have gotten FJ without Alex's impersonation. Of course, it may have also helped me that I seem to remember The Godfather coming up as a FJ clue not too long ago. The FJs for the past 4 games have all been on things that the writers seem to like to ask about.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Was leaning towards Sophie's Choice before Trebek went into the impression. I don't know that I would have switched to The Godfather in time without it.

Trebek's reading reminded me of another bad Godfather impression from a game show:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Voting yes on "I got FJ! from the voice impression." 8-)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

SpaceX (3), 20th Century Decades (4), TV Crimesolvers (5), Parts of the Whole (1), Pub Grub (1), 3 Consonants, No Vowels (4)
State Capital Newspapers (5), Colorful Language (2), Go for the Gold (4), The Musical "Ide" (3), My Wife (5), Your Significant Author (2)

Lach Trash; Honolulu, John Irving; Daily Double: Stockholm, Julius Caesar

Alex's accent certainly helped me answer correctly; I knew The Godfather won an Oscar, so I might have been able to figure it out without the impression.

That was nice of Johnny to sign her copy of his record!
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. No guesswork needed, I vividly remember that entire scene, even though I haven't seen The Godfather in at least 15 years. That impression certainly didn't help, because it was awful and Alex should be ashamed :lol:

Gotta say, after 'grenade' and 'MRI machine', I didn't have high hopes, but Andrew recovered nicely. Probably too neg-prone to go on a long run, but we'll see.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had The Godfather before Alex even read the clue, but making a clue easier puts whoever is in second and third at a disadvantage. Given the ease of tonight's FJ, I'm not sure it would have mattered, but I don't like it.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

31,000 coryat. Instaget before Alex got to the quote for a 5/5 week on finals.

Since it was restricted to only 10 possible answers, I was surprised they left "20th Century Decades" for last resulting in an unplayed clue. Boo hiss!
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:29 pm I don't recognize the name Jane Rizzoli at all. Only 5 other archive hits. Given my mom's affinity for crime dramas, I'm surprised she never touched that show.
Six questions about a show that's not even ten years old seems like a lot to me.
I would prefer not to.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I got the clue off the NY Times clue on the J! website this morning, but I agree wholeheartedly with Elijah. Entirely inappropriate to add information not in the clue by these impressions.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

I was leaning towards The Godfather or Taxi Driver. Stuck with the first choice :mrgreen:

I felt like Alex gave the answer away with his impression. I wonder if he didn't do his bad impression it could have changed the outcome of the game.

Poor Andrew struggled in "Parts of the Whole" but rebounded nicely to win the game.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i agree....that attempt of an impression pretty much gave away the movie...what was even the point of doing the final jeopardy round? everyone was going to surely give the correct response after hearing his rendition
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

bigblue999 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:38 pm I was leaning towards The Godfather or Taxi Driver. Stuck with the first choice :mrgreen:

I felt like Alex gave the answer away with his impression. I wonder if he didn't do his bad impression it could have changed the outcome of the game.

Poor Andrew struggled in "Parts of the Whole" but rebounded nicely to win the game.
it may have...you never know
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:01 pm Instaget FJ. No guesswork needed, I vividly remember that entire scene, even though I haven't seen The Godfather in at least 15 years. That impression certainly didn't help, because it was awful and Alex should be ashamed :lol:

Gotta say, after 'grenade' and 'MRI machine', I didn't have high hopes, but Andrew recovered nicely. Probably too neg-prone to go on a long run, but we'll see.
it helped me...i got it right because of his lame impression...i have never seen the godfather before