FJs for the 9/24/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/24/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

In Sept. 2017 Prince Charles became the longest-serving Prince of Wales, passing the man who became this king
42%
From its preface: "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman...hate him"
59%
After this woman's death, her daughter wrote, "As far as we in the family are concerned, the alphabet now ends at Y"
81%
In 1883 a Catholic diocese sold this to the state of Texas for $20,000
98%
In this ’70s Oscar-winning film, the title character’s 1st words are “Why did you go to the police? Why didn’t you come to me first?”
93%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
26%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
PAINTED LADIES $800: Around 1875 he painted "Dancers Preparing for the Ballet"
65%
HATS $800: As Sherlock Holmes, Basil Rathbone sported his cap also called a fore-and-after
58%
MR. & MRS. SONGS $2000: Herman's Hermits told her, "You've got a lovely daughter"
49%
George IV was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
6%
I had the wrong Edward for the Monday FJ! clue.
18%
Whether due to the senate hearing, Thursday night football or other, on Thursday J! did not air at the regular time in my market.
21%
I got "The Godfather" for the Friday FJ! clue without hearing Alex's reading or before Alex finished reading the clue.
53%
Alex's reading of the Friday FJ! clue with an attempted impersonation more likely than not helped me solve the clue correctly.
36%
I am 15/15 on FJ! clues this season.
3%

Total votes: 120

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 9/24/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 am ...

Instaget for "Godfather" on NYT CotD; Jeopardy was preempted in Denver for football. It was listed as being shown at 2 a.m. Friday morning, but some other game show was on and got recorded instead. Would have liked to have seen Alex's impression. Or, judging from the responses on the board, maybe not.
This upload includes the CC with "normal voice" and "Sicilian accent"
Spoiler
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

First 5/5 week of the season, but I'm not sporting a 15/15 overall track record. I've got all but 4 or 5, I think.

Didn't need Alex's impression on Friday. For gameplay/possible outcome reasons, I'm not a fan of him doing impressions.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :( :(
Thursday Night Football
The Godfather impression helped
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Did not need the accent.

Week 1 - 5
Week 2 - 4
Week 3 - 4

13/15 on the season.
Last edited by Wpwells on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:36 am
AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 am ...

Instaget for "Godfather" on NYT CotD; Jeopardy was preempted in Denver for football. It was listed as being shown at 2 a.m. Friday morning, but some other game show was on and got recorded instead. Would have liked to have seen Alex's impression. Or, judging from the responses on the board, maybe not.
This upload includes the CC with "normal voice" and "Sicilian accent"
Spoiler
Thanks for posting; I can see why it generated discussion. Started off with a hint of Corleone, but rapidly transitioned -- to my ear, it sounded at the end like he was about ready to channel Bela Lugosi.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roughly 50/40 on Alex's impression on that FJ - that sounds about like what I would expect. Fortunately, it doesn't come up often but I'm curious if the players chatted afterwards and found out that one or more of them might have been influenced by Alex.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:( :D :( :D :D

I had my biggest brain fart of the season on Wednesday. I even said to my wife, "She's the author with the whole alphabet book series!!! The First one is "A is for Alibi!!!" And could...not...come...up...with...Sue...Grafton...……...Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'm losing it rapidly. I'd better get the call and get a chance to spill my store of knowledge all over the studio floor in Culver City soon, because it's trickling out and draining into the gutter by the day.

15-for-15 for the season? Uh, no. How about 10-for-15....
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I had just finished “Y Is For Yesterday” the night before so that was easy. I’ve read the entire series. Patricia Cornwell’s first 3 Scarpetta mysteries were pretty good but then she went downhill. I didn’t want Alex’s accent on The Godfather clue and I had just watched I & II a couple of weeks ago but I have to admit his accent sent me in the correct direction. I wish he wouldn’t do that.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My optimism for Grafton being at 90% was wrong although after reading the some posts I see the % was downgraded by some knowing the right author and failing to dredge her name.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I realized they were looking for Victoria's son on Monday but went with George V rather than Edward VII.
Alex's impression actually hurt me, as I assumed he wouldn't just give away FJ! like that. I went with The Godfather, Part II.
Sprinkles are for winners.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I had been reading about it the day before, so I answered Look Back in Anger. At the time, it seemed the logical thing to do. I never read Pygmalion, but I saw the 1938 film adaptation. I don't recall if that line was included.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

bibliophage wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 am I had been reading about it the day before, so I answered Look Back in Anger. At the time, it seemed the logical thing to do. I never read Pygmalion, but I saw the 1938 film adaptation. I don't recall if that line was included.
Perhaps a bit obscure for FJ today, but I do recall it coming up once in the AT era (to be clear, my memories of the Art Fleming era are few). Something like "1956 British play that inspired the term "Angry Young Men". It does seem inelegant to employ "angry" in asking for "anger".
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

bibliophage wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 am I had been reading about it the day before, so I answered Look Back in Anger. At the time, it seemed the logical thing to do. I never read Pygmalion, but I saw the 1938 film adaptation. I don't recall if that line was included.
The screenplay of the 1938 film differs significantly from the play, but I don't think any line like this is included. As the clue says, it's from the play's preface...
As noted in the daily thread, Alan Jay Lerner lyricized the expression in "Why Can't the English?" from My Fair Lady.