Tuesday, October 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR HYPHENATES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This actor has never been nominated for acting--he won, though, as a writer for 1997 & as a producer for 2012

Doug Dodson: 15000-9001=5999 (2x = $21,999)
Cody Landis: 12000-7999=4001
Kirsten Morry: 2000-2000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Ben Affleck (Doug – backrolls) (Cody – Who is ?) (Kirsten – Day-Lewis)

Daily Doubles
Cody: 600+1000
Kirsten: minus 800+2000
Doug: 6000+3000

Coryats
Doug: 13200
Cody: 11800
Kirsten: 1600

Combined: 26,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Doug: 6800
Cody: 8400
Kirsten: 800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The J! round was pretty good with only 2 negs and one TS clue. The DJ! round was a little rougher, especially in the FRENCH ARTIST category.

Alex needs to have better awareness as adding so much after the $2000 stumper in FRENCH ARTIST wasted the time that could have been used to complete the board with the Broadway clue not played.

I’ll throw in a plug for The Great American Read on PBS (Tuesdays) as in the few episodes I’ve seen a lot of material from the show has been useful in playing along with J! Even if it is some author/title match I already know the reminder does not hurt. DD2 from today is people’s exhibit A. Or B as the case may be.

The FJ! category had me 0/3 on precalls as I wrote Clint, Mel & Woody. What I did call right was understanding it would be someone with multiple job titles in the movie business and not someone with two surnames.

When I saw the clue I had bad detours of connecting Brad Pitt to 12 Years a Slave and 2012 and getting closer in realizing the importance of 1997 I wrote Matt before knowing I needed to switch to the other guy. I still had 20 seconds to relax with the pen down as I was certain about the movies and their distinctions to fit the guy.

Doug and his backrolls. I needed this from urban dictionary as I had no idea:

Backrolls
A response to an individual who says something shady. Typically used as a one word response. When spoken the individual pulls their chin back and raises their eyebrows and states very clearly, "backrolls". This saying became famous through RuPaul's Drag Race. In season 5 Alyssa Edwards went viral after her elimination, this was one of her most memorable moments on the show.

Viral as doug proclaimed? Time will tell. What is guaranteed is Doug will get social media attention for being a little too comfortable playing another game. That was a lot of money to risk on going for “a moment.”

Cody may have had a restless sleep on that taping day’s night backrolling, frontrolling and siderolling wagering numbers when revisiting the game.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Mark's Urban Dictionary link redirected my tablet to a spam page, FYI.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:12 pm Mark's Urban Dictionary link redirected my tablet to a spam page, FYI.
Wow! So sorry. I've clean up my post to take care of that regrettable nonsense.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I don't get how this FJ was a complete miss - and that Doug didn't even hazard a guess (which - ok?).

Then again, movies seem to a weak spot for contestants so the writers are going to keep going back there.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm I don't get how this FJ was a complete miss - and that Doug didn't even hazard a guess (which - ok?).

Then again, movies seem to a weak spot for contestants so the writers are going to keep going back there.
I'm betting the category elicited a reaction of "wtf" from many.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:35 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm I don't get how this FJ was a complete miss - and that Doug didn't even hazard a guess (which - ok?).

I'm betting the category elicited a reaction of "wtf" from many.
Could be; I don't think it's ever shown up before. But actor-writer or actor-producer doesn't seem that difficult to suss out.

And I'll grant that Oscars is a tougher category that it might otherwise seem, given that there are close to 100 years of Oscars with 5 (or more) nominees in each of the big categories. Still, they tend to focus on winners in the past 40 years so it's at least a tad more manageable than some other popular categories.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 pm And I'll grant that Oscars is a tougher category that it might otherwise seem, given that there are close to 100 years of Oscars with 5 (or more) nominees in each of the big categories. Still, they tend to focus on winners in the past 40 years so it's at least a tad more manageable than some other popular categories.
I would say that had they called the category OSCAR WINNERS and not OSCAR HYPHENATES that the get rate would have been at least 10-20% higher (in that 10-20% of people will probably go down the Daniel Day-Lewis street.)
Andy Saunders
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:39 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 pm And I'll grant that Oscars is a tougher category that it might otherwise seem, given that there are close to 100 years of Oscars with 5 (or more) nominees in each of the big categories. Still, they tend to focus on winners in the past 40 years so it's at least a tad more manageable than some other popular categories.
I would say that had they called the category OSCAR WINNERS and not OSCAR HYPHENATES that the get rate would have been at least 10-20% higher (in that 10-20% of people will probably go down the Daniel Day-Lewis street.)
I can vouch for that. If it had been Oscar Winners it's as near an instaget as I get; instead I found myself flailing about for another actor like Day-Lewis and doubting the year Good Will Hunting was released.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:39 pm
Ok, I can see that. If they wanted a hyphenated actor, I think that's what the category would have been. But, it's potentially confusing enough to trip someone up with 30 seconds, the lights, etc. It's yet another case where if the right response pops into mind before you have a chance to dwell on ambiguities in the category, you're better off. So, here's to a simple mind. :D
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Misleading FJ. The contestants were obviously going for an actor with a hyphenated name.

Looked up google and saw another definition of hyphenates:

"a person who is active in more than one occupation or sphere"

Perhaps they could have come up with a better category name like "Oscar Winners" for example.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

bigblue999 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:20 pm Misleading FJ. The contestants were obviously going for an actor with a hyphenated name.

Looked up google and saw another definition of hyphenates:

Perhaps they could have come up with a better category name like "Oscar Winners" for example.
Except two contestants didn’t write anything and Doug decided to blow it off. So who knows what they thought?
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Bob78164 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Not sure of the exact definition, but hiw bet was too big. Surely the intent is to stay above 1st's cover bet if he misses. It just seems so obvious there is no advantage from him not to stay above 6,000 in this situation. (so the 2nd place player SHOULD bet small-is that what is meant?).

Count me in the WTF category. writer-actor producer-actor never entered my mind until after the fact (well OK, after I read this thread, and the after I thought and thought and thought some more). I was stuck on a person's name with a hyphen.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

*French Artists for 2000 pops up*
UGH I've seen that picture before...oh hell, it's going to be Nude Descending a Staircase/Duchamp isn't it?
*Nude Descending a Staircase pops up*
For 2000!? Oh come o-
Who is Picasso?

I'm going to chalk the neg up to 'strange things happen under the lights'. No one getting it on the rebound though? Meh.
bigblue999 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:20 pm Looked up google and saw another definition of hyphenates:

Good to know. Would've saved me a few seconds of Think time and a commercial break of useless precalls. Once I backed out of that dead end it was easy to get to 2012 -> Argo -> Affleck, done. Never nominated for acting? Mildly surprising until I remembered that I never liked his acting.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:57 am Doug and his backrolls. I needed this from urban dictionary as I had no idea:

Backrolls
A response to an individual who says something shady. Typically used as a one word response. When spoken the individual pulls their chin back and raises their eyebrows and states very clearly, "backrolls". This saying became famous through RuPaul's Drag Race. In season 5 Alyssa Edwards went viral after her elimination, this was one of her most memorable moments on the show.
I'm going to have to look up an in-context example on Youtube later, because Doug looked absolutely ridiculous and the definition isn't creating a clear mental image either.

Another day, another poor 2nd place wager. Ho hum.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

danspartan wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Not sure of the exact definition, but hiw bet was too big. Surely the intent is to stay above 1st's cover bet if he misses. It just seems so obvious there is no advantage from him not to stay above 6,000 in this situation. (so the 2nd place player SHOULD bet small-is that what is meant?).
In the specific context of Shore's Conjecture, a "small" bet is any bet by second that keeps third place locked out.
Andy Saunders
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:40 pm *French Artists for 2000 pops up*
UGH I've seen that picture before...oh hell, it's going to be Nude Descending a Staircase/Duchamp isn't it?
*Nude Descending a Staircase pops up*
For 2000!? Oh come o-
Who is Picasso?

I'm going to chalk the neg up to 'strange things happen under the lights'. No one getting it on the rebound though? Meh.
Well, I came very close to negging with Picasso, simply because while I've heard of "Nude Descending a Staircase" a zillion times I had never actually seen it, whereas the painting shown looked astonishingly like a Picasso work c.1910 to me. It was only the "French" in the clue that steered me right; without that, I would have just figured that both figures had works with people on staircases or something.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

October Observances (2), Sailing Into History (5), Portuguese Primer (2), Gems & Jewels (1), Weird Al-Chemy (4), At the Zoo (3)
French Artists (3), A Little Dry (2), Largest Cities (4), The Broadway Play's Premiere Cast (2), Books of the 1940's (3), After the Zoo (3)

Lach Trash: nostalgia, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Liberty, Marcel Duchamp

I also thought the FJ category referred to hyphenated names; knowing the answer wasn't Daniel Day-Lewis, I was stuck beyond that. Even with knowing the actual meaning of the category, I wouldn't have guessed correctly.