Tuesday, October 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

danspartan wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:40 pm
danspartan wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Not sure of the exact definition, but hiw bet was too big. Surely the intent is to stay above 1st's cover bet if he misses. It just seems so obvious there is no advantage from him not to stay above 6,000 in this situation. (so the 2nd place player SHOULD bet small-is that what is meant?).
In the specific context of Shore's Conjecture, a "small" bet is any bet by second that keeps third place locked out.
Ah, then there needs to a corollary that says don't drop below 1st's cover bet miss. Otherwise the whole thing is missing the point to bet to give the best chance to WIN THE GAME.
Mr Shore has called it the Weak Form (because of this specific reason).

This is posted to provide a full data set as to whether Shore's Conjecture does better or worse than normal strategy, not to issue any sort of inherent strategic advice.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

The Talking Mime wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:38 pm Okay, I'm glad I wasn't the only one to misunderstand the FJ category. I guess I can chalk that up to not hearing that word every day.

I did manage to get kind of on the right track, but I erred in thinking The Artist was the 2012 Oscar Winner instead of Argo (one year off) and I nearly hit a dead end. I did make the 1997-Good Will Hunting connection, but since time was almost up at that point, I just went with Matt Damon.
I came here to write exactly that. Except I spelled it, "Da-Mon," because perhaps he's Jamaican? And I didn't even try to parse 2012.

If backrolls goes viral, I don't think it will be for the reason Mr. Cool had hoped.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Not sure of the exact definition, but hiw bet was too big. Surely the intent is to stay above 1st's cover bet if he misses. It just seems so obvious there is no advantage from him not to stay above 6,000 in this situation. (so the 2nd place player SHOULD bet small-is that what is meant?).
In the specific context of Shore's Conjecture, a "small" bet is any bet by second that keeps third place locked out.
Ah, then there needs to a corollary that says don't drop below 1st's cover bet miss. Otherwise the whole thing is missing the point to bet to give the best chance to WIN THE GAME.
I'll take MISSING THE POINT for $200...

1) There's a reason why Mr Shore has called it the Weak Form (because of this specific reason).
2) Again, this is posted to provide a full data set as to whether Shore's Conjecture does better or worse than normal strategy, not to issue any sort of inherent strategic advice.
What's next, "The traditional advice for first place to make the traditional cover wager needs a corollary saying that second place shouldn't bet everything"?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,800
48 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Charlotte Amalie, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, canasta, rococo, Liberty, Marcel Duchamp

Count me in the "thought they were looking for someone with a hyphenated name" camp. With a different category name, I might have had a fighting chance.
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:29 pm Except two contestants didn’t write anything and Doug decided to blow it off. So who knows what they thought?
Kirsten guessed Daniel Day-Lewis, so chances are she was thinking the same thing many (most?) of us were. Add to that the fact that the other two contestants both failed to muster any (serious) response to a clue that, independent of the category, was fairly easy to at least guess at, and it looks as though everyone was befuddled.

The DD in After The Zoo should have been an automatic TDD. The odds are near 100% that such a clue will point to exactly one plausible response that comes after "zoo" alphabetically.

Speaking of that category, I'm sad that Alex didn't take the opportunity to say "ooh, zori."

Pavlov Alert: art + "frothy" = rococo. Learn it, live it, love it.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 pm I guess we don't have a lot of Variety readers around here... :roll:
That's probably accurate. From all the befuddlement, this category is probably a snap if you're from LA and familiar with "the business" as it's known there - and not so much for the rest of the country. (Let alone Canada). :geek:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Shouldn't "This will go viral" automatically eliminate it from going viral?
klakins

Post by klakins »

Hi all, I'm Kirsten Morry from last night's episode. You have correctly interpreted my train of thought on Final Jeopardy - I preferred to write something down rather than nothing. I was obviously having trouble ringing in - Cody and Doug were both very fast and well-timed. In Double Jeopardy, I rang in on certain questions I didn't know perhaps thanks in part to Cody and Doug's unwillingness to guess. At that point, I felt some riskier gambits were worthwhile - you only get one shot, so I tried to seize what chances I had.

I have a small quibble which is with my $2000 response in the Portuguese category - "saudade" arguably does include homesickness. Though of course the Greek element in the clue perhaps pinpointed the word "nostalgia." It isn't visible on TV but there was a short pause for the judges to rule on that one.

I had some very sweet local media coverage of my appearance since it seems I'm the first to be introduced as being from NL on the show. I'm proud of my performance despite the outcome! It's odd to be at the center of so much attention - I now have a lot more empathy for athletes and other people in the competitve spotlight.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

klakins wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 am Hi all, I'm Kirsten Morry from last night's episode. You have correctly interpreted my train of thought on Final Jeopardy - I preferred to write something down rather than nothing. I was obviously having trouble ringing in - Cody and Doug were both very fast and well-timed. In Double Jeopardy, I rang in on certain questions I didn't know perhaps thanks in part to Cody and Doug's unwillingness to guess. At that point, I felt some riskier gambits were worthwhile - you only get one shot, so I tried to seize what chances I had.

I have a small quibble which is with my $2000 response in the Portuguese category - "saudade" arguably does include homesickness. Though of course the Greek element in the clue perhaps pinpointed the word "nostalgia." It isn't visible on TV but there was a short pause for the judges to rule on that one.

I had some very sweet local media coverage of my appearance since it seems I'm the first to be introduced as being from NL on the show. I'm proud of my performance despite the outcome! It's odd to be at the center of so much attention - I now have a lot more empathy for athletes and other people in the competitve spotlight.
Congrats on making it to the show! It's a shame that they had a clue based on a word that has no specific English translation and you have to wonder sometimes how much each of these clues is vetted. And a shame that the FJ category ended up being so misleading to so many. But, it looked like you had a fun time!
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

klakins wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 am Hi all, I'm Kirsten Morry from last night's episode. You have correctly interpreted my train of thought on Final Jeopardy - I preferred to write something down rather than nothing. I was obviously having trouble ringing in - Cody and Doug were both very fast and well-timed. In Double Jeopardy, I rang in on certain questions I didn't know perhaps thanks in part to Cody and Doug's unwillingness to guess. At that point, I felt some riskier gambits were worthwhile - you only get one shot, so I tried to seize what chances I had.

Thanks for posting Kirsten - I was rooting for you the whole time, you put up a good fight!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:06 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:59 pm

I'll take MISSING THE POINT for $200...

1) There's a reason why Mr Shore has called it the Weak Form (because of this specific reason).
2) Again, this is posted to provide a full data set as to whether Shore's Conjecture does better or worse than normal strategy, not to issue any sort of inherent strategic advice.
What's next, "The traditional advice for first place to make the traditional cover wager needs a corollary saying that second place shouldn't bet everything"?
Are we making fun of dan for not fully understanding what the Shore’s conjecture posts are about? Along with caps lock lecturing? Maybe a better path would be a link to the Archive where he could learn about it?

Without the context of what Shore’s conjecture is all about, Bob’s posts often seem to make little sense and look very non-sequitur.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

28,200 coryat. Instaget final.

I'm not surprised when there's a triple stumper on the show (sometimes three people will not know even a seemingly easy question) but I'm blown away by the board's general unfamiliarity with the term. I've never lived anywhere near Hollywood and I've come across the usage of hyphenate many times in articles, in movies, and on television, going back to at least the mid-90s.

I was about ready to jump through the screen when it looked like they might not finish "French Artists." Given the category, Picasso was not a great guess for NDaS, but Georges Braque would've been a respectable wrong answer.
I would prefer not to.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:04 am Along with caps lock lecturing?
I thought you'd be familiar with the conceit of capitalizing a category name.

(However, I toned down my thoughts.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:39 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:04 pm And I'll grant that Oscars is a tougher category that it might otherwise seem, given that there are close to 100 years of Oscars with 5 (or more) nominees in each of the big categories. Still, they tend to focus on winners in the past 40 years so it's at least a tad more manageable than some other popular categories.
I would say that had they called the category OSCAR WINNERS and not OSCAR HYPHENATES that the get rate would have been at least 10-20% higher (in that 10-20% of people will probably go down the Daniel Day-Lewis street.)
I hoped that the "Daniel Day-Lewis street" wasn't as stupid as it seemed at the reveal. I did not even make the connection to THAT kind of hyphen (actor-director etc.) and also said "Day-Lewis" even though I was pretty sure he's a multiple winner for acting. Yep, looking for an actor with a hyphenated name. At least one of the contestants did likewise, and I wonder how many others took that bait. sigh.....
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:43 pm Duchamp is a blind spot, you could've given me all day and I wouldn't have got him. But Liberty Leading the People? Easy peasy.
Threw out Ron Howard for FJ just to have something. Veterans of this board already know my thoughts on the category.
I'm very familiar with the Duchamp work. I believe it has also come up on at least one J! contestant quiz. So why did I completely brain-fart on it? First Grafton, now this. Oh, my aching cortex.

:shock:
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Poll request for how many mistook "hyphenates" to mean someone with a hyphenated name.

I did, but in retrospect the other meaning is perfectly obvious. All I could come up with was Day-Lewis and would not have written it down, as I knew he has won many Oscars.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Thanks for stopping by to visit us! And congrats for getting your own shot!

I sorta figured what you said here was what happened: know a lot of stuff but can't ring in in time :shock: ; then fall way behind, so maybe start guessing on some clues you might not have rung in on, had you been in the lead. Tough spot to be in, I imagine. Good for you for being willing to change strategy mid-game even if there's a risk involved. As it has been said here a time or seventy: that's why they call it Jeopardy!

Sounds as if your experience was well worth it, so there's that.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

All the talk about whether the category name was confusing seems to have spared Cody a lot of well-deserved grief for his FJ wager. I'm thinking he outsmarted himself by wagering "little enough" not to fall behind Kirsten if he negged and she doubled her score. And forgot that he might win on a double-stumper if Doug wagered properly (he did) and he (Cody) wagered strategically (he did not). I mumbled to Cody during the last commercial break to wager $6,000, which would have won the game for him. Alas.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

klakins wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 am I have a small quibble which is with my $2000 response in the Portuguese category - "saudade" arguably does include homesickness.
What kind of weird country has a "national emotion," anyway?

Congrats on your appearance, Kirsten. Those of us who've been there understand perfectly what it's like to get outbuzzed over and over.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Kirsten, I"ll be understanding of your dilemma if you'll be understanding of having yelled at you, "Stop guessing! Stop guessing!"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Did anyone join me on saying "Santa Maria" on Ships for $200? That clue reeked of negbait.

I knew Nude Descending a Staircase = Duchamp but lost track of the clue, as is common for me on Clue Crew clues.

For me it was probably even harder to picture "hyphenate" meaning anything else, since I thought that terms like "actor-director" used slashes, not hyphens. Am I alone in this thinking?