Tuesday, January 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leaper wrote:I knew the FJ answers were probably in the Southwest, but I latched onto California and didn't/couldn't let go, making my actual right guess at Arizona moot. Was Nevada's spot just something you had to already know? Why would it be growing so much? When did its economy start going down the crapper from plunging tourism and gambling revenue - after 2010, the last year specified in the clue?
I settled on Arizona first. I knew a lot of people had been moving there from California. That also made me doubt that California was the other state. I finally decided Nevada was the most likely other candidate.

California would have had to grow by almost 8.5 million people to hit that 25 percent mark. That seems like too much. As it turns out, the state grew by about 10 percent. Or, to put it another way, California added the 2000 population of Nevada plus more than another 2/3 of that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vanya wrote:How many ways is this not a red herring? Two: the Santa Fe refers to the railroad (Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe); the University of NM is not in Santa Fe.
Because the clue is "blah blah blah SANTA FE!!!!!!! blah blah blah Norman"?
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Vanya wrote:How many ways is this not a red herring? Two: the Santa Fe refers to the railroad (Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe); the University of NM is not in Santa Fe.
Because the clue is "blah blah blah SANTA FE!!!!!!! blah blah blah Norman"?
They didn't say the university in question was in Santa Fe, it asked which university was in the city of Norman "in this state." Which means Santa Fe was a reasonable amount of negbait, as TPH is saying. I fell for it too. There wasn't a clear indication in the clue that Santa Fe was referring to the railroad rather than the city.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Doug527 wrote:
Trust me, it seems there a few people here with bees in their bonnets about not saying a first name. (There was a serious of comments in a thread a few weeks back)
Speaking of first names, Betsy saying just "Who is ... Patrick..." gave me that response (I don't know McDreamy's actual name, as watching half of the Pilot of Grey's was enough to learn it wasn't "for me"), I guess it's possible that it was the same for Daniel's rebound. That reminds me that it had occurred to me that if I were to ring in and have a brain fart, deliberately saying a random first name or other such partial answer might be something to consider...

I knew Nevada was one of the two FJ! responses, but guessed New Mexico as the other. Oops. Y'all have too many states. If Canada can get by with 10 provinces, why do you need 50? Why not just make it easier to keep track of things by dividing "flyover country" into three or four states (that would still have small populations)? :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Why not just make it easier to keep track of things by dividing "flyover country" into three or four states (that would still have small populations)? :)
Does not approve.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:Why not just make it easier to keep track of things by dividing "flyover country" into three or four states (that would still have small populations)? :)
Does not approve.
Those lyrics are definitely pretty ham-fisted, but I agree with the sentiment. :)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Does not approve.
Is it just the term you object to, or the suggestion? Though I obviously suggested it tongue-in-cheek, why couldn't, say, ND, SD, WY and MT have all been one state? It'd still have less than 3 million people, thus being much smaller in both area and population than Ontario or Quebec.

Oh, and minutes after posting about not knowing Dempsey's character's name, a Grey's ad appeared on my TV in which the voiceover referred to "Dr. Shepherd" by name. Odd. Also, I thought I'd have been aware that main characters on Grey's and Lost (which premiered in the same season) were both named Dr. Shepherd/Shephard
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got Arizona, but went for California for the other. I never considered that the other state wouldn't be on the border with Mexico. Considering I was thinking of population growth in terms of inflow of new residents rather than reproduction of current residents (i.e. outflow of new residents), I really should have ruled California out and looked for smaller populations. Ah well.
DHodge

Post by DHodge »

Hey folks.

Didn't realize the wagering mistake until tonight. Before tonight, I could have sworn that Betsy had something like $7,600. I don't remember thinking about third place at all, just went straight to 'up by more than half 2nd's score = make the shutout bet.' silly mistake, but sometimes you don't think everything through when you're under pressure. fortunately it didn't make a difference in the result.

I hated that FJ category from the get-go, as Census stuff isn't the trivia I gravitate towards. (something like last night's FJ would have been great.) I was off on the wrong track after the question emphasized % growth which led me to think 'smaller state like New Mexico.' If I had thought of Nevada.... I probably would've gone with Utah, as 'bordering each other' leads me to visualize states that are smack up against each other, not bordering on a small portion like AZ and NV. Utah is #3 in % growth last I checked, by the way. I will be interested to see the get rate in the week's FJ poll. you guys are making me think it'll be around 50%.

And I was definitely guilty of doing the blah blah blah SANTA FE blah blah blah question-reading on Norman. I know where the university of Oklahoma is... d'oh! I think the headline for this episode could be 'Land Of Entrapment: Contestant Trips Twice On New Mexico' or something to that effect.

I still feel that 'The Time-Travelers Daughter' would be a great sequel name. My instincts led me to throw away $2k on it though. I was trying to stay away from the wheelhouse Classical Music until I'd built up some ammo in the other categories, but after that mistake, I was going straight to my money category. only question was whether I would bet big or bet it all on the DD... and I couldn't face the idea of going back to $0 in my first game, so $5k it was.

If I had been able to beat Amy on 'trireme' or 'Sami' that would have gone a long way towards a lock, but my brain was too slow on the draw in both cases even though I was pretty close to coming up with them when Amy buzzed in. she did a great job of not getting rattled and obviously knew her population better than I did on the crucial final question. I was frustrated about getting a tough FJ for a while after the game, but I'm glad I was able to get some good categories and play a good game for the most part.

I briefly got to meet Preston in the hotel after taping, and enjoyed getting to meet him and hearing his similar story to mine. I also take inspiration from Raguvheer's story of losing his first game (which I read on his excellent website, http://www.triviabug.com/); I'm not near the player that he was, and he also lost in his first game! sometimes, the breaks don't go your way, but that's the nature of the beast of Jeopardy, is it not?

Daniel
Last edited by DHodge on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DHodge

Post by DHodge »

opusthepenguin wrote: I was very disappointed that an actuary didn't play with the numbers enough to tumble to this. He would have been very unhappy to lose by a dollar due to his wagering mistake.
honestly I was a bit disappointed in myself when I figured it out ;) as you say, that would have been a very disappointing loss and I'm glad it didn't become a factor.
DHodge

Post by DHodge »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Speaking of first names, Betsy saying just "Who is ... Patrick..." gave me that response (I don't know McDreamy's actual name, as watching half of the Pilot of Grey's was enough to learn it wasn't "for me"), I guess it's possible that it was the same for Daniel's rebound.
you were correct that I didn't buzz in the first time, but I think I had to mull it over a bit rather than getting clued from her response, although her going down the same track probably helped confirm that.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Is this the guy refertenced in clue 25 of the DJ! round?

I should really pay more attention to my own web sites.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh, and minutes after posting about not knowing Dempsey's character's name, a Grey's ad appeared on my TV in which the voiceover referred to "Dr. Shepherd" by name. Odd. Also, I thought I'd have been aware that main characters on Grey's and Lost (which premiered in the same season) were both named Dr. Shepherd/Shephard
I wonder if there are enough examples to create a SAME NAME, DIFFERENT SHOW category. We'd need 5 plus one alternate. In addition to Dr. Sheph(e/a)rd, there's:

Eric For(e)man on That '70s Show and House M.D.
Rachel Green(e) on Friends and ER

What else? Do the other examples omit or change an e?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DHodge wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: I was very disappointed that an actuary didn't play with the numbers enough to tumble to this. He would have been very unhappy to lose by a dollar due to his wagering mistake.
honestly I was a bit disappointed in myself when I figured it out ;) as you say, that would have been a very disappointing loss and I'm glad it didn't become a factor.
Yeah, going home with that same $2,000 would have had a very different feeling. As it is, Betsy miswagered too; so you didn't even lose $1,000.

The missus and I were rooting for you, if it makes you feel any better. You played a great game. I love your "Land Of Entrapment" gag.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Arizona and New Mexico here. Arizona was instant, what with Phoenix and all. California was right out, leaving NV, UT and NM. I ended up going with NM... UT didn't seem to me to be a grower (a misfound assumption as I have learned from the board) and NV's wave of foreclosures (#1 in the nation!) had me thinking there was a population exodus. I figured, well, if AZ's growing a lot (I thought AZ had the 35%) it would make sense for it's sparsely populated neighbor to the east to have a good showing as well. Wouldn't take many to increase NM's population by 25%. (Incidentally, NM only grew 13.2%.)

After settling on NM as my first guess, NV kept nagging me, but consarnit, I've been burned too many times changing my 1st instinct. *sigh*

Least I had some great boards otherwise. Particularly proud of my Mehta get.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

NM would've done better but Heisenberg has reduced the population too drastically (either through exodus fear, or killings)!
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

Doug527 wrote:
Leaper wrote:This game revealed/confirmed a couple of very personal and probably unshared pet peeves: when people only give a last name as an answer in a category that revolves around a given first name...
Trust me, it seems there a few people here with bees in their bonnets about not saying a first name. (There was a serious of comments in a thread a few weeks back)
I kind of feel like an idiot for the two glaring grammar/spelling mistakes in this comment. Allow me the opportunity to correct them:

Trust me, it seems there are a few people here with bees in their bonnets about not saying a first name. (There was a series of comments in a thread a few weeks back)
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Doug527 wrote: serious of comments
Is that like a murder of crows?
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

jeff6286 wrote:
It certainly isn't too surprising at this point, but I was disappointed to see that not one of the three players recognized the unique positioning of the scores and bet appropriately for the situation. How can the leader not be paying enough attention to realize that by making the shutout wager and missing, they would be falling just $1 behind the maximum score of the third place player?
I'm convinced that in any given game, at least one and sometimes more contestants pay zero attention to FJ scores or strategy demands, which is why we see so many awful wagers. But even having said that, $0 by the champ? Really? What was she afraid of? Finishing third?

Really, do whatever it takes to give yourself a CHANCE to win, how about it?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh, and minutes after posting about not knowing Dempsey's character's name, a Grey's ad appeared on my TV in which the voiceover referred to "Dr. Shepherd" by name. Odd. Also, I thought I'd have been aware that main characters on Grey's and Lost (which premiered in the same season) were both named Dr. Shepherd/Shephard
I wonder if there are enough examples to create a SAME NAME, DIFFERENT SHOW category. We'd need 5 plus one alternate. In addition to Dr. Sheph(e/a)rd, there's:

Eric For(e)man on That '70s Show and House M.D.
Rachel Green(e) on Friends and ER

What else? Do the other examples omit or change an e?
I can think of a movie example - George Banks (the epinonymous character in Father of the Bride and also the father in Mary Poppins)