FJs for the 10/1/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/1/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:49 pm

In a recent poll of 125 authors, this long 1870s novel about a woman ranked as the greatest work of fiction of all time
66%
This actor has never been nominated for acting--he won, though, as a writer for 1997 & as a producer for 2012
38%
The Cathedral of St. Pierre was the center of the Calvinist Reformation in this lakeside city
74%
Italy's Agromafia enriches itself through counterfeit versions of this "liquid gold" mentioned by Homer & Plato
53%
Prepared by the Chief of Staff to the Supreme Allied Commander, the "COSSAC Plan" outlined the details of this
63%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
 STARS & CONSTELLATIONS $2000: This cluster of stars also known as the Seven Sisters lies within the constellation Taurus
79%
BOOKS OF THE 1940s $2000: This Camus novel was originally published in 1947 as "La Peste"
46%
THE COLD WAR $2000: In 1956 Soviet tanks rolled into this European capital city, suppressing a short democratic revolt
52%
I missed the Monday FJ! clue in WORLD LITERATURE by guessing someone British or American.
13%
ON THE FAST FOOD MENU $600: You can order a MeatZZa from them - I negged with a guess of a pizza place other than the correct Domino's.
45%
OSCAR HYPHENATES as a category confused me as I thought I needed someone with two last names.
63%
For the Wednesday FJ! clue I picked the wrong Switzerland city.
6%
Honey was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
11%
COSSAC in the Friday FJ!'s wording caused me to get off track going with something associated with Russia/Soviet Union.
28%

Total votes: 112

Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 10/1/18 week

Post by Bartleby »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Couldn't get (the obviously wrong) Madame Bovary out of my head Monday.
Instagets Tuesday & Wednesday.
Only came up with "olive oil" thirty seconds after pausing on Thursday.
Could come up with no better answer than "D-Day" on Friday and stuck with it.

Got "Quadruple bogey" right.

Negged with Pizza Hut for Domino's. Totally agree with TPH that the question was very negbaity.
I would prefer not to.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:42 pm Was wrong with Pizza Hut on the MeatZZa. Given that's currently at 60%, I think it's safe to call that a massively negbaity clue.
I'm not seeing it as anything worse than a coinflip between Pizza Hut and Domino's.
More than one person said they guessed Little Caesars, so bump it down to 1 in 3.

I think it's more that the prominent ZZ can easily mislead someone to guessing the most prominent pizza chain that actually has "pizza" in the name. Had they said, to pick just a random item off the Domino's menu, "Pacific Veggie pizza", there'd probably still be people saying Pizza Hut, but I don't think there'd be quite as many because the subconscious hint toward the wrong answer wouldn't be there.

I can also understand the people who don't consider pizza chains "fast food". To me, "fast food" pizza would be something more like Sbarro.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Had never heard of the acronym "COSSAC" before, but with "Chief of Staff to the Supreme Allied Commander" being next to it it wasn't a stretch. "Supreme Allied Commander" = Eisenhower = a big WWII Operation. I briefly considered Operation Torch (north Africa) and Operation Husky (Sicily and Italy) before deciding that those might be too nasty even for FJ.

Late 19th LONG novel about a woman led to a SWAG of Anna Karenina; was pleased but not astounded the guess was correct. "Mafia" and "Liquid Gold" to someone who watches The Godfather Trilogy at least annually wasn't instant, but was quick.

Count me among those who were searching for a hypenated name. I eliminated Day-Lewis since I knew he had won Best Actor, but had no backup. And I emulate TPH when it comes to Camus -- I can NEVER remember "The Plague" or "The Stranger" and both are J! semi-regular topics.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:32 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:42 pm Was wrong with Pizza Hut on the MeatZZa. Given that's currently at 60%, I think it's safe to call that a massively negbaity clue.
I'm not seeing it as anything worse than a coinflip between Pizza Hut and Domino's.
More than one person said they guessed Little Caesars, so bump it down to 1 in 3.
You're not doing your "negbait for Pizza Hut" argument any favors by giving equal weight to a different incorrect response. (And frankly, I don't think the poll results thus far do either, though I have to remind myself that the 33 people who didn't tick that option are clams as well as correct responders.)
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

If there's a reasonable argument for the clue being egregious negbait, it would likely rest on the claim that Pizza Hut is much more likely than Domino's to give one of their products a "cheesy" name like "MeatZZa." I don't know enough about recent trends in corporate branding to say whether that's a good argument, though Domino's has, at least at some points in the last ten years, been trying to project a more elevated image in their advertisements (and that knowledge would have been sufficient to prompt from me a response of "Pizza Hut" had this clue, heaven forbid, been a Daily Double).
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm surprised I didn't know MeatZZa. We usually order Domino's since my stepdaughter loves it but I don't think I've ever noticed that menu option.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:33 pm
I remembered a pizza commercial advertising the "Meatzza Trio," which I can even remember was prosciutto, sausage, and pepperoni, but couldn't remember whose commercial it was; the in-your-face-ness of my memory of the commercial swung me more to Pizza Hut.
I just looked up the commercial. First, it was called the "Meatsa Trio," and second, it came before their big rebranding when they started making more "artisanal" style pizzas and their commercials' tone was more like what I associate with Pizza Hut. Also, I discovered a commercial for a Little Caesars "Meatsa Meatsa Pizza Pizza," so I'd more readily call the clue Little Caesars negbait.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I grew up in a military family and thought I knew my military acronyms (see, e.g., CINCPAC) - as well as WWII history. I figured out that COSSAC was Chief of Staff [and? to?] Supreme Allied Commander but that didn't really point to anything other than a WAG for D-Day.

And 40% got that hyphenated clue - which is a little higher than expected based on comments, but I suspect that we'll see that category again at some point.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

All four gets were WAGS. Great FJ clues that make that even possible. But the Hyphenate category was awful and shows writers don't recognize it is just jargon to normal people. It didn't cost my first Box of Glory as I wouldn't get it if you spotted me the movies or actor named Ben (I would have gone with Stiller).

I'm sure the writers were going for "quadruple bogey", not the "4 over par". And, they chose wisely with a par 3 hole. Almost all of us duffers refer to a quad bogey on a par 4 as a "snowman". We usually announce it enthusiastically when we hole the pressure 2 foot putt that ends a miserable journey. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Hyphenates got me. I don't know whether or not I would've gotten there otherwise.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:02 pm Also, I discovered a commercial for a Little Caesars "Meatsa Meatsa Pizza Pizza," so I'd more readily call the clue Little Caesars negbait.
That's the commercial that made me guess Little Caesars. I'm sure that commercial is at least 20 years old at this point, but some things stick with ya.

By the way, calling either Domino's or Little Caesars pizza "food" seems like a bit of a stretch.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

davey wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:16 am Pleiades is one of the few constellations I know cold...
You, sir, are a true Subaru. 8-)
OCSam
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

There were a bunch of clues in this set I think I should have had. I actually considered Matt Damon on Tuesday but had a mental block on Ben Affleck--I did figure out that the "hyphenate" meant actor-writer-producer, though. Thursday, I got as far as figuring out that petroleum didn't make any sense but not much farther. The Plague should have been easy.